Watch, Watched, Watching: From Scott Civil Wars to Christmas Movie Wars

Veltigar

17 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Troy and National Treasure and The Martian. 

All horseshit. 

National Treasure isn't so bad because I just assumed there's a missing scene where he gets shivved in prison. 

5 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Sigh, Rebel Moon has been panned by critics…was really hoping to get a good original space opera. 

Original? Like I said before, my cuz worked on it and when he showed me some pics on set I had to laugh because they had lightsabers. 

But yeah, it's getting bad reviews. And it's a two part film! 

Edited by Tywin et al.

Ya but it’s sad, atleast Snyder is trying something of his own in the SCI-Fi/Fantasy domain instead of the franchise machine the rest of Hollywood is. Can you even name a single current project in this genre being made at Hollywood and television that is an original IP anymore ? 

4 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Original? Like I said before, my cuz worked on it and when he showed me some pics on set I had to laugh because they had lightsabers. 

But yeah, it's getting bad reviews. And it's a two part film! 

35 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Ya but it’s sad, atleast Snyder is trying something of his own in the SCI-Fi/Fantasy domain instead of the franchise machine the rest of Hollywood is. Can you even name a single current project in this genre being made at Hollywood and television that is an original IP anymore ? 

65? Asteroid City? They Cloned Tyrone? There's a lot out there (not trying to say 65 is as good as the other two), but the problem is also there's just so much garbage. Sometimes it feels like I spend 20 minutes looking for something and by the time I settle I'm already about to fall asleep. 

6 hours ago, Heartofice said:

I guess you could point to the auteur led period of the 70s as a sort of heyday for art vs profits, but mainly because they sort of aligned for a short period of time. 

Yeah, with auteurs producing Jaws and Star Wars.

And the latter having a self-rescuing princess. 

Oh, and Alien! Another classic conservative viewpoint.

Also, not to get too far away from the typical antiwoke bullshit, but A Murder at the End of the World had its finale and it was VERY satisfying. A good murder mystery beautifully shot with satisfying clues that added up well. They could have done better with the ensemble a bit, but otherwise really good.

Spoiler

Given that this was done many years ago it is absurdly prescient and well done. Very on the nose with trends and fears about AI.

2 hours ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Can you even name a single current project in this genre being made at Hollywood and television that is an original IP anymore ? 

Just looking at the trailer thread, there are trailers for four upcoming SF movies that appear to be original IP - ISS, Spaceman, The Kitchen and Civil War. That's only the four pages of the most recent thread, there are undoubtedly more. 

How about The Creator? That literally came out only a few months ago.

Really, people aren't looking very hard if they can't find things. If you think Rebel Moon is going to be your savior - a movie literally adapted from snyder's proposal on a new star wars movie - you've really just got yourself to blame when you can't find better stuff. 

23 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Just looking at the trailer thread, there are trailers for four upcoming SF movies that appear to be original IP - ISS, Spaceman, The Kitchen and Civil War. That's only the four pages of the most recent thread, there are undoubtedly more. 

Literally hundreds of choices, according to IMDB, for 2023: https://www.imdb.com/search/title/?title_type=feature&genres=sci-fi&release_date=2023-01-01,2023-12-31&count=100

My bad, but what’s with the cynicism against new Zack Snyder films on this forum? He’s definitely had many misses(biggest being Man of Steel IMO) but he’s also made some very good movies like 300 and Dawn of the Dead. At the very least he has his own distinctive style that makes him an interesting director.

I guess he just needs to hire another writer for his films. 

14 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

My bad, but what’s with the cynicism against new Zack Snyder films on this forum? He’s definitely had many misses(biggest being Man of Steel IMO) but he’s also made some very good movies like 300 and Dawn of the Dead. At the very least he has his own distinctive style that makes him an interesting director.

It's mostly that he's very well known for adapting other people's better work completely superficially and with only the goal being "make it look cool". Sucker Punch is probably the best distillation of Snyderism out there - a movie with no plot worth a damn that exists entirely to do cool set pieces. And that's fine! But it isn't original or bold or special. 

My point was that if you believe that Snyder was the main hope of a space opera when you've ignored a ridiculous amount of other things, that's on you. If you think that it was going to be original in, well, anything at all that's on you, too.

4 hours ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

atleast Snyder is trying something of his own in the SCI-Fi/Fantasy domain instead of the franchise machine the rest of Hollywood is

There's a second film already in the pipeline and Snyder has spoken volubly of turning it into a multimedia franchise. And this nascent franchise of his is basically ransacked from other IPs he's not allowed to play with. He is not the good guy.

As others say, there's plenty of original storytelling out there, even in the SF/F genre. The Creator is potentially far more exciting for the industry than the latest Snyder schlock, just to give one example.

1 hour ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Is it just this forum? He gets a lot of hate in a lot of other places too. For good reason too, the Synderverse is a total disaster and often for reasons directly attributable to his own directing style. He has far too many terrible movies under his belt to claim he is a good director and he has a set of repeated flaws in all his movies (maybe not Dawn of the Dead) that can make watching them a slog. 

21 hours ago, KingAerys_II said:

Everything is offensive, every movie should have "quotas", art is no longer the priority in Hollywood, that's why the quality of movies decreased.
The writers are hired according to their political ideologies, that's why they are developing "White Snow and the 7 magical creatures", it's not "Snow White and the 7 dwarfs", dwarf is an offensive word, the Prince is a stalker, and  Snow White is "the strong Indipendent woman" now.
Same thing they applied to Star Wars sequel, best female characters were created without following such standards,for example, Galadriel in The Hobbit and Lotr was actually stronger than Galadriel in Rings of Power, Galadriel in The Hobbit carried Gandalf, banished Sauron by using magic, Galadriel in Rings of Power is "the strong Indipendent woman" that is actually weaker

I don’t know what any of that has to do with bringing back Palpatine. The only agenda there is a misjudged, “This guy is a familiar baddie that we can market to the kiddies.”

As far as what Disney is doing I’ll pose this: you know who else had absolutely no problem tweaking and watering down the source material to align with a certain moral code and to suit a contemporary American audience? Walt fucking Disney.

And you better believe uncle Walt got political too. Every time his animators were talking about unionizing he had no problem running to HUAC and accusing them of all being communists. 

19 hours ago, Veltigar said:

I tore through the remaining episodes of Blue Eye Samurai. It's very good, though not quite on the same level as Arcane. I could pretty much copy-paste my review from the first three episodes, as I think it holds up rather well now that I have seen the whole thing.

Kenneth Branagh’s character has kinky bum sex in that brothel on his way to the story’s climax. Emperor Palpatine never did that. 

I've never seen Top Gun. At this point I think I'll probably be ok without seeing it.

I watched Leave the World Behind at the weekend. It was perfectly ok. Stop having high expectations about films or anything really. It makes life much easier. 

Spoiler

So in the book the people who own the house and return to it are a married couple aren't they? Because I seem to recall these mother-to-mother dialogues? Or maybe I am thinking of a different post-apoc novel. How did the story benefit from that change? The daughter saying (out of nowhere really) that Ethan Hawke's character wanted to fuck her. That added a lot. :rolleyes:

Right at the start of the film, I said hey what's the age gap between Ethan Hawke and Julia Roberts and low and behold: she's 10 years older than me (she's 56) and he's 7 years older than me. I just find it FASCINATING that Hollywood allows men to still get work as main characters with wrinkles on their faces... All of the kids were unsympathetic but at least the little girl did it with some style I guess. Overall I liked the bleak vibe of the film.