US Politics: Happy Anniversary.

8 hours ago, Zorral said:

There is no credible alternative out of any of them.  They are all deranged racist fascists and dominionists who are determined to imprison women within their reproductive organs, to live or die at their whim.  Just for starters.  

The point though is to have a bruising primary, similar to the 2016 one but on the GoP side, People are still to this day debating the impact the Sander's campaign had on Clinton's eventual loss; and the hope would be to have something similar that would disgust at least a few and have them either sit out or vote for someone else.

1 hour ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Maybe I'm being unfair to the Republican base, but I have a hard time seeing them get Haley over the line, however I imagine there will be a fair number of centrist women and south Asian swing voters who could make up the numbers, if they choose to ignore most of her policies. Still it looks like Trump needs to be swept from the board by forces other than primary voters for Haley to actually get the nomination.

Can't Democratic and independent voters register and vote in the republican primaries? Seems like a bit of an exploit but given that she is the lesser of two evils I think morals should be left at the door and just get it done.

Just now, Makk said:

Can't Democratic and independent voters register and vote in the republican primaries? Seems like a bit of an exploit but given that she is the lesser of two evils I think morals should be left at the door and just get it done.

I'm thinking of November vs Biden with Haley as the hypothetical republican nominee. My guess is Haley is probably a lock for 2nd behind Trump. I'm not sure enough Dems / Indies could be bothered to register for the primaries for Haley to make up the Trump deficit.

6 minutes ago, Makk said:

Totally depends on the state.  - yes you can change party affiliation but how many people would really take the time?  I know a few people who do that here, but have to imagine they are a drop in the bucket 

Edited by Larry of the Lawn

1 hour ago, Larry of the Lawn said:

Totally depends on the state. 

Some states just require that the voter be registered, and party affiliation doesn't matter. 

38 minutes ago, LongRider said:

Some states just require that the voter be registered, and party affiliation doesn't matter. 

Which is why every state needs open primaries and caucusus can eat shit. Damn I'm thankful that trash is finally over here.  

Edited by Mr. Chatywin et al.

Trump Judge Spanks Ron DeSantis for Retaliating Against a Democratic Rival

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2024/01/trump-judge-spanks-ron-desantis-democrat.html

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis faced a sharp, surprising rebuke from a conservative appeals court on Wednesday, which dealt him a major setback in his quest to banish state prosecutor Andrew Warren from office. In fact, “setback” may be too mild a term: DeSantis got smoked at the court, which effectively accused him of abusing his office to punish Warren on the basis of protected speech. Most surprisingly, the governor’s harshest critic was Judge Kevin Newsom, a staunchly conservative Donald Trump appointee who went out of his way to charge DeSantis with an unconstitutional assault on “representative democracy.”

DeSantis, a Republican, suspended Warren, a twice-elected Democrat serving as state attorney near Tampa, from office in August 2022. Florida’s constitution permits the governor to suspend elected prosecutors only for specific reasons, like “neglect of duty” or “malfeasance.” So DeSantis issued an executive order claiming that he had dismissed the prosecutor for refusing to enforce criminal laws, including Florida’s bans on abortion and transgender health care. Warren responded with a federal lawsuit alleging that DeSantis had, in reality, targeted him because he had criticized the state bans, violating his First Amendment right to speak on a matter of public concern. At the time, the right-wing press panned his suit; National Review’s Dan McLaughlin, for instance, condemned it as “bogus,” “a joke” that “no responsible jurist” could support. ....

.... It would not. On Wednesday, Warren won—emphatically and unanimously. Pryor’s opinion for the court meticulously detailed the monthslong scheme hatched by DeSantis and his operatives to suspend Warren, the damning details laid bare by discovery. The judge explained how these men carefully covered up their tunnel-vision focus on the prosecutor’s speech with pretextual concerns about his policies. Pryor even noted that the governor lied on Tucker Carlson’s show by asserting that his office “reviewed all state attorneys” before targeting Warren, which was flatly untrue. ....

3 hours ago, Zorral said:

Trump Judge Spanks Ron DeSantis for Retaliating Against a Democratic Rival

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2024/01/trump-judge-spanks-ron-desantis-democrat.html

Perhaps that’s a good sign for Florida challenges to the removal of books from Libraries?

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Perhaps that’s a good sign for Florida challenges to the removal of books from Libraries?

There are so many librarians/library adjacent people, including parents, really fighting this hard.  In other states too!

~~~~~~

O gods, I just saw this!

Florida school book bans hit dictionaries

https://www.axios.com/2024/01/11/florida-book-ban-schools-lawsuit

A Florida school district is pulling nearly 2,000 books from its shelves — including some dictionaries and encyclopedias — to make sure they abide by a new state law.

Why it matters: The state law, which prohibits schools from carrying books that describe sexual content, comes as Florida continues to get pushback over its titles banned in prisons and classrooms.

Details: Northern Florida's Escambia County School District has taken away over 1,600 titles for review, including five dictionaries and eight different encyclopedias, according to PEN America earlier this week. ....

~~~~~~~~~

In the meantime, Scott, you might find this of interest?

Scene 2 Seen Podcast: Ava DuVernay And Aunjanue Ellis-Taylor Do A Deep Dive Into ‘Origin’ And Discuss The Journey Of Adapting From Book To Screen

https://deadline.com/2024/01/scene-2-seen-podcast-ava-duvernay-aunjanue-ellis-taylor-origin-book-to-screen-1235700906/

It doesn't have the text, alas, as I prefer text to pod, though I have heard her talk about this already.  

Edited by Zorral

Jamie Raskin Asks Donald Trump To Return $7.8 Million He Received From Foreign Governments
The focus on Trump’s very real foreign government payments comes as Republicans push evidence-free claims that Joe Biden received similar payments

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/trump-raskin-foreign-government-payments_n_65a144cfe4b06444b22297b1

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And more Florida Evil -- in other words being revealed and spoken of as a racist is far worse than racism, and must be punished by the state.

Florida Bill Could Lead to a $35,000 Fine for Accusing Someone of Racism
“More attempts to chill free speech in the ‘free’ State of Florida,” said one Democratic lawmaker.

https://truthout.org/articles/florida-bill-could-lead-to-a-35000-fine-for-accusing-someone-of-racism/

Florida State Sen. Jason Brodeur (R) recently introduced a bill that would revoke certain privileges from journalists in the state, including the right to keep sources anonymous. The bill would also make accusing someone of racism, sexism, homophobia or transphobia defamatory, even if the accusation is based on a person’s “scientific or religious beliefs.”

“More attempts to chill free speech in the ‘free’ State of Florida,” State Rep. Anna V. Eskamani (D) said on social media.

The bill, SB 1780, would alter the widely accepted standard in which a defendant would need to prove “actual malice” on behalf of the plaintiff to succeed in a defamation suit. SB 1780 would make “an allegation that the plaintiff has discriminated against another person or group because of their race, sex, sexual orientation, or gender identity [] defamation per se,” meaning that there is a presumption that the statement harmed the reputation of the plaintiff and was, therefore, defamatory. If a defendant is held liable for defamation, they could be fined at least $35,000.

“The bill would tremendously chill speech in Florida,” transgender journalist Erin Reed said. “The bill applies to print, television, and even online posts, meaning that even posting on social media that someone is transphobic or homophobic could land one in trouble.”

SB 1780 also narrows the legal definition of who constitutes a “public figure,” excluding non-elected or appointed public employees and individuals who gained notoriety by “a video, image, or statement uploaded on the internet that has reached a large audience.” In most jurisdictions, a public figure cannot succeed in a defamation lawsuit, even if the statements made against them were incorrect and harmful, unless they can prove that the defendant acted with actual malice. The proposed bill aims to modify this existing legal framework, expanding the scope for individuals to file defamation lawsuits when facing allegations of racism, sexism, homophobia, or transphobia.

The bill also puts journalists reporting on discrimination at risk of defamation lawsuits by undermining well-established press freedoms, including the right to maintain source anonymity. SB 1780 would make statements from anonymous sources “presumptively false,” potentially making  journalists vulnerable to legal action. ...

Edited by Zorral

US corporations push to roll back Trump-era tax policies they once endorsed
An agreement is emerging that ties the corporate tax breaks to an increase in support for vulnerable American families

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2024/jan/12/corporation-tax-break-lobby

To secure Democratic votes for a legislative package that includes new corporate tax breaks, congressional negotiators are aiming to pair the business priorities with a tax policy designed to help a different, and far less politically connected, constituency.

The American Rescue Plan, a Covid relief package passed by the Democratic-led Congress in early 2021, included a one-year expansion of the size and accessibility of the federal child tax credit, which provides assistance to low-income families with children.

By the following year the credit had helped nearly 3 million children escape poverty –about 2 million more than would have without the expansion, according to the US Census Bureau. The impact was especially pronounced among families of color: The number of Black children in the United States living in poverty fell by 17% between 2009 and 2021.

But the year after the expansion of the credit was allowed to expire, child poverty in America doubled, disproportionately among Black and Hispanic children.

Combining the corporate tax cuts with an expansion of the child tax credit might yield an agreement with enough Democratic support to reach Joe Biden’s desk. But it also suggests that the only way Congress is prepared to help lower-income families is if some of the world’s most profitable corporations get additional tax relief of their own.

“Wealthy corporations and Republican lawmakers in Congress are holding the poorest children in this country hostage in exchange for billions in tax handouts,” Elizabeth Warren, the Democratic senator from Massachusetts, told the Guardian in a statement.

On 1/11/2024 at 7:45 PM, Makk said:

In Iowa the problem is not pre-registering. The problem is it's a fucking caucus and the weather is going to be absolutely shitty. Fuck that. Despite that, I'd make an effort for a dem caucus without an incumbent, otherwise, not so much. Caucuses are stupid.

On 1/11/2024 at 10:48 PM, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

Which is why every state needs open primaries and caucusus can eat shit. Damn I'm thankful that trash is finally over here.  

I like closed primaries. I'm a long-time, registered Democrat, and I want party nominees chosen by the actual party, and not various and sundry folks with a variety of motivations. 

1 hour ago, TrackerNeil said:

I like closed primaries. I'm a long-time, registered Democrat, and I want party nominees chosen by the actual party, and not various and sundry folks with a variety of motivations. 

A lot of people don't register for a party even if they always vote for it. Likewise some places only have one party that can win so voting for the least bad option makes sense. 

2 hours ago, TrackerNeil said:

If the two major political parties want closed primaries… they should hold those primaries among their own membership and not have them held and paid for by the State.

Hell, I think I should be able to vote in both primaries… not have to pick one or the other.  Wouldn’t opening primaries to all comers serve to force candidates to moderate to win their primaries the way they normally seek to move to the center to win the general?

Edited by Ser Scot A Ellison

On 1/12/2024 at 4:49 PM, Martell Spy said:

“Wealthy corporations and Republican lawmakers in Congress are holding the poorest children in this country hostage in exchange for billions in tax handouts,” Elizabeth Warren, the Democratic senator from Massachusetts, told the Guardian in a statement.

Senator Warren is great.

17 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

If the two major political parties want closed primaries… they should hold those primaries among their own membership and not have them held and paid for by the State.

Hell, I think I should be able to vote in both primaries… not have to pick one or the other.  Wouldn’t opening primaries to all comers serve to force candidates to moderate to win their primaries the way they normally seek to move to the center to win the general?

If you are still going to have separate primaries, I certainly do NOT think people should be able to vote in more than one. It sort of defeats the purpose of having parties at all.

Rather than allowing people to vote in more than one primary, it would be better to have so-called "jungle primaries" as they now do in California, Alaska, and (I think) Louisiana, where in the "primary" all candidates from any party are on the ballot and the general election is a run-off between the top two in the "primary" no matter what their party affiliations are. 

However, I'm not sure this really has made candidates in those states more "moderate" than they otherwise would be, though the change to this system in California and Alaska is so recent there wouldn't be good data on that yet. 

Edited by Ormond
remove extra word

19 minutes ago, Ormond said:

If you are still going to have separate primaries, I certainly do NOT think people should be able to vote in more than one. It sort of defeats the purpose of having parties at all.

Who is advocating for this? 

Also, watching MTP, Joni Ernst is a fucking coward.