The Small Stuff That Doesn't Need a Thread. #8

LongRider

2 hours ago, Spockydog said:

A lovely collection of silk pocket squares I got to complement all my new jackets and blazers arrived in the mail today.

I've never actually worn a pocket square before so have no idea how to fold them. :lol:

Fold them in half from corner to corner making a pyramid shape, then again the same way, then stuff the folded part into your pocket and fluff the edges that are sticking up.

Does that even make sense??  LOL

Another way to really up your scarf game is to use a long rectangular scarf, fold in half lengthwise, and use as a belt.  If Errol Flynn did it, it can't be all bad.

:P 

Edited by Tears of Lys

Recent text from my 14 yo just now:

Tyrion: Hey dad, if X's mom texted you and said it's okay can you buy her booze for the party tonight? Her mom can't she's busy tonight

We're now arguing, she's citing precedents [a few somewhat inaccurately, but kudos just the same] and if this kid doesn't become a lawyer or something similar, I don't know. 

[sigh]

55 minutes ago, JGP said:

Recent text from my 14 yo just now:

Tyrion: Hey dad, if X's mom texted you and said it's okay can you buy her booze for the party tonight? Her mom can't she's busy tonight

Isn't the correct response: 'no, but I will happily call child protective services if I receive that text.' ?

That's a bit heavy. 

I can't speak for other parents permissive structures, but the ex and I had a few lengthy discussions about how we were going to approach our daughters inevitable partying [both of us were bad for this in our teens] so the policy we decided to adopt was, look, we don't approve but know you're going to do it anyway, so we'd rather you get a safe supply from someone trustworthy meaning us, no more than a six pack and nothing heavier than 5% alcohol content. But if we find out you've been dipping into your friends or others' supplies [and we will find out] are drinking anything more substantial than a beer or a cooler, or are wasted when either your mom or I pick you up, the consequences will biblical.

In approach, not entirely dissimilar to how we got them out of lying [generally] Tell us the truth, there will be little to no consequences. Lie to us, watch your ass. They lost their phones, their TVs, computers, sleep overs, visits, the works. Month at a time.

re: underage drinking, they haven't abused it so far. But I'm not buying booze for their friends. 

Edited by JGP

15 minutes ago, JGP said:

That's a bit heavy. 

I can't speak for other parents permissive structures, but the ex and I had a few lengthy discussions about how we were going to approach our daughters inevitable partying [both of us were bad for this in our teens] so the policy we decided to adopt was, look, we don't approve but know you're going to do it anyway, so we'd rather you get a safe supply from someone trustworthy meaning us, no more than a six pack and nothing heavier than 5% alcohol content. But if we find out you've been dipping into your friends or others' supplies [and we will find out] are drinking anything heavier than a beer or a cooler, or are wasted when either your mom or I pick you up, the consequences will biblical.

In approach, not entirely dissimilar to how we got them out of lying [generally] Tell us the truth, there will be little to no consequences. Lie to us, watch your ass. They lost their phones, their TVs, computers, sleep overs, visits, the works. Month at a time.

re: underage drinking, they haven't abused it so far. But I'm not buying booze for their friends. 

We have a similar policy re: telling the truth with our child, and agree that creating a total taboo can lead to pretty bad consequences when they do head off for college/turn 21 due to lack of self control.   I'd have no problem with ours having a glass of wine if we were in a country with a lower drinking age etc.  That said, 14 seems a tad young in my book, if for nothing else due to developmental concerns.  My bigger concern wouldn't be for my kid, but anytime someone else's kid is involved, it can get legally harrowing if anything goes wrong or their parents get involved/school finds out.

Edited by horangi

18 minutes ago, horangi said:

That said, 14 seems a tad young in my book, if for nothing else due to developmental concerns. That said, my bigger concern wouldn't be for my kid, but anytime someone else's kid is involved, it can get legally harrowing if anything goes wrong or their parents get involved/school finds out.

Tyrion gets sense, kid's smart as as the tip of a whip, but she's got to try every angle first.  Liability was my firm counter argument in the aforementioned exchange. Also agree about the developmental concerns. I worry every time they go to a party though, but at least their mom and I know when they go to a party and can be as certain as we can that they're drinking responsibly and looking out for their friends.

Least harm kind of thing.

Edited by JGP

14 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Have you considered your daughter tried to trick you into buying booze, her friend's mum wouldn't?

Of course, ergo why a text was out of the question for obvious reasons, a call unwelcome, and the proposition was out regardless. Don't ask again, T.

Even if we give them wins on the little white lies every now and then [knowingly looking away for their sense of autonomy] the girls are honest with us about the important things. 

edit: too much repetitive language today. couch is looking comfy, might take a nap

Edited by JGP

My God in heaven, what has Don Lemon done to his face!?! 

He looks simultaneously decades older and younger. The cheeks of a boy below the eyes of a fifty year old. It's like a deepfake, only not... 

Sigh. Some people's idea of gifts... Granted, I hate my birthdays with every fiber of my being and find them days to be depressed, so I would have actually preferred no gift at all, but still this is silly. A few months ago my mother scrolled through Lego stuff and was gushing about the Baby Yoda brick-built figure. My reaction was that I found ugly and horrifically expensive. So of course, my mother now ended up gifting me that thing for my birthday. I ended up building it and gifting it right back to her so that she can decorate her bedroom with it.

So much money for a brown plastic turd...

Edited by Toth

Household merger progress update: we emptied and cleaned out my old flat a few days ago, we spent the first night in the new flat ... so I guess we officially live together now.

Boxes and bags of stuff are still everywhere and waiting to be unpacked and everything to be put in the right place ... it is stressful. And his flat still needs to be emptied out and cleaned, some thing are still there. And some things are still at my parents' place for the time being. This moving thing is quite a logistic undertaking.

The Internet connection here is bad. My poor portable router is working badly here. I hope it improves once we get the actual router and everything.

Edited by Buckwheat