UK Politics: Not even a Penny for a new Prime Minister

4 hours ago, JoannaL said:

IF I understand correctly there is no protection for women in this law (they say they will do it at a "later date" which is most often another word for "never")

There's been a report chaired by an eminent (female) lawyer, a draft bill and a consultation process.

https://www.gov.scot/news/misogyny-law-consultation/

The misogyny bill is well along the line. Not sure I agree this needed to be separate, but it'll happen for sure by 2025, and probably sooner.

16 hours ago, mormont said:

There's been a report chaired by an eminent (female) lawyer, a draft bill and a consultation process.

https://www.gov.scot/news/misogyny-law-consultation/

The misogyny bill is well along the line. Not sure I agree this needed to be separate, but it'll happen for sure by 2025, and probably sooner.

No, this will conveniently get lost in committee.

If they had wanted to protect women, they would have put it in this bill and then make later an advanced law.

They obviously wanted to make it  clear that the rights of women are lesser than the rights of some minorities. Shame on them.

It was always clear to some that the fighting alliance for equal rights of women, religious minorities and the queer community had some faultlines. Now it is clear (again) that women always stand alone and are just expected to take it.

I stop writing now, i am really getting very angry.

9 hours ago, JoannaL said:

They obviously wanted to make it  clear that the rights of women are lesser than the rights of some minorities. Shame on them.

If 'they' had wanted to make that clear then 'they' wouldn't be publicly stating that the reason protection for women is being taken separately is because 'they' think that misogyny needs even greater measures to deal with than this act offers. Like, even if you don't believe that, if 'you're on your own' was what the Scottish lawmakers were trying to say then they wouldn't be sending out those messages.

(I'm not really sure who 'they' is, in your eyes. Given 'some minorties' plus the following it really just feels like you're looking for a reason to be angry at other minorities, which is weird because it isn't any minority responisble here- Scottish Parliament is mostly white men and women. Like I'd honestly understand the frustration at women being left out here, taken on its own, but who are you even blaming I don't get it).

9 hours ago, JoannaL said:

It was always clear to some that the fighting alliance for equal rights of women, religious minorities and the queer community had some faultlines. Now it is clear (again) that women always stand alone and are just expected to take it.

Edited by polishgenius

11 hours ago, JoannaL said:

No, this will conveniently get lost in committee.

If they had wanted to protect women, they would have put it in this bill and then make later an advanced law.

I stop writing now, i am really getting very angry.

do you think minorities and trans people deserve and need protection?

It does make me wonder how a person can be convicted of hate speech towards a white police officer under current laws and yet those laws not be sufficient to protect minority races, trans people and women from the same sort of hate speech. 

1 hour ago, The Anti-Targ said:

It does make me wonder how a person can be convicted of hate speech towards a white police officer under current laws and yet those laws not be sufficient to protect minority races, trans people and women from the same sort of hate speech. 

Scotland and England have different laws. 

Edited by BigFatCoward

4 minutes ago, The Big Stink said:

What's a cultural Christian?

I believe someone who celebrates Easter and Christmas as a cultural holiday without the religious connotations. I.e. giving presents on Christmas Day or eating Easter Eggs on Easter Sunday but not going to any church service celebrating them. Probably the majority, if not overwhelming majority, of people now (including people of other faiths).

Dawkins says he likes some of the cultural artifacts that Christianity produced such as cathedrals and art, plus I guess some of the philosophical and cultural influences on general western society. I don’t think there is anything particularly wrong in anything he said. He’s also been consistent in this opinion for decades.

2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

The beet part of this tory being blackmailed for other politicians numbers, is that 2 of the people who were contacted and sent nudes, sent nudes back. 

Lot of speculation that Gullis is one of them, based on Richard Tice (Reform party leader) telling him on social media to stfu or he’d reveal embarrassing info on him.

A joke circulating on Twitter is that every MP shoukd disclose what dating app they’re on (Tinder, Grindr etc) as contacting them on it seems to be the only way to get a response.

Edited by Derfel Cadarn

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

This is fucking ridiculous. My insurance was about £350 four years ago. My latest renewal quotes are at least three times that. 

Mine only up 7 quid a month. I was expecting it to be much worse. 

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

Mine only up 7 quid a month. I was expecting it to be much worse. 

Nice. Do you get special plod rates? Also, how many years no claims do you have?

Edited by Spockydog

I’ve no idea what my insurance is… I passed my test 4 years ago (the Monday before Lockdown 1). My wife added me to hers, and checks the comparison sites every year