Watch, Watched, Watching: Anybody but Superman

Veltigar

On 5/2/2024 at 7:06 AM, Heartofice said:

I have to admit, halfway through the show I was going to just stop. It was at times really not a fun watch. It's quite upsetting at points. If you get through that, I think by the end it makes it all worth it, and Gadd actually creates a pretty thoughtful piece that is much better than what looked like a standard scary stalker tale. 

I would have shit myself if that happened. Hopefully your bed was still clean after!

30 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

Watched The Fall Guy tonight with the wife, and we both enjoyed the hell out of it. So many little sight gags, movie history references, clever photography, and only two scenes that I'd have tweaked in the whole movie to improve the pacing a touch, otherwise a very good fusion of comedy, action, and a tinge of romance, and with some bangin' needle drops on top of it all.

I'll probably see this over the weekend and really hope they have the original theme song play at some point. I remember the original as a kid, loved the show, that and Dukes of Hazzard, lots of high flying vehicles! This is probably where my like of big dumb action movies came from, these were two of the first shows I ever remember truly watching and liking. 

3 hours ago, Isis said:

This sounds like a Friday Night Special. *checks* Hang on, it's not on Prime, Netflix or Paramount so it looks like I can't watch it. :crying:  Extra sad because I really need a so bad its good film to watch tonight after a nightmare week.

In other news I watched the end of Leatherjackets S2 last night. This has taken me ages to get through even though I like it a lot, not a reflection on the show just on my chronically overemplyed life. Absolutely love Juliet Lewis - which is part of the reason I wanted to watch this in the first place. Also love Elijah Wood and Christina Ricci. In fairness, lots of good performances but especially enjoyed those.    

Calking the show leatherjackets has me wheezing and I have no idea why

32 minutes ago, dbunting said:

I'll probably see this over the weekend and really hope they have the original theme song play at some point. I remember the original as a kid, loved the show, that and Dukes of Hazzard, lots of high flying vehicles! This is probably where my like of big dumb action movies came from, these were two of the first shows I ever remember truly watching and liking. 

I had to look up the original theme, as I've never even heard of this show, but the movie does feature an interpretation of the TV show's theme.

Posted (edited)

@Ran mentioned this other element in Sugar, and damn ...definitely out there... some of Sugar's predilections fall more neatly into place after that. 

Edited by JGP

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, JGP said:

@Ran mentioned this other element in Sugar, and damn ...definitely out there... some of Sugar's predilections fall more neatly into place after that. 

I'm not sure entirely how I feel about it, although it was one of two or three running theories Linda and I had. But I did love the extended The Night of the Hunter clip.

Will be curious to see how they wrap this particular noir mystery up in two more episodes, and whether they're planning to leave room for a second season or not. I really like Farrell in this role. And I could just stare at the '66 Corvette Sting Ray for a few minutes at a time. Gorgeous car.

Edited by Ran

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, Ran said:

I'm not sure entirely how I feel about it, although it was one of two or three running theories Linda and I had. 

Ye...

Spoiler

Tops amongst mine was the whole Heaven and Earth, Angels and Devils thing... but I think I like this better? Will depend how they wrap.

After that, I don't know either. Not sure if they can, frankly [conclude satisfyingly with two eps left] The showrunner could go all sorts of ways after that reveal, but if the quality doesn't dip I'll definitely want a second season.

Edited by JGP

Re: Sugar,

Spoiler

Yeah, angels was definitely a theory. The other theory we had was that they were immortals who had formed some sort of secret society. 

But aliens was probably my leading theory after the polyglot society meetup and particularly the debriefings. I started on it because of the fact that his sister's name was always spelled "Djen" in subtitles, which fits no obvious human language name for a woman that I could think of. 

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Zorral said:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Djen_(ethnicity)

Perhaps derived from the city of Djenné in Mali?

There are musicians, art communities and so on also name Djen. :dunno:

Well, her brother's name is be John Sugar, so ... her name stood out as not being at all in the same style. :) Especially as, without subtitles, you'd think it's just a shortened form of Jennifer or Jenny or some such.

Reminds me of The Nevers, where subtitles gave away that whatever was involved in what happened, it was "the Galan-something", with a capital G, suggesting a proper name.

Edited by Ran

5 hours ago, HexMachina said:

Calking the show leatherjackets has me wheezing and I have no idea why

I keep doing that. I cannot stop. My brain is absolutely ruined this week which doesn't help.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Ran said:

Re: Sugar,

Hide contents

Yeah, angels was definitely a theory. The other theory we had was that they were immortals who had formed some sort of secret society. 

But aliens was probably my leading theory after the polyglot society meetup and particularly the debriefings. I started on it because of the fact that his sister's name was always spelled "Djen" in subtitles, which fits no obvious human language name for a woman that I could think of. 

I watched it again, and now I'm wondering if I'd assumed too much classifying Sugar

Spoiler

as Alien per se. Beyond the look, the humanoid appearance makes me doubt that and suggests a few things besides [provided it wasn't a budgetary limitation] Could be an angel but more likely something else.

The crystal stylings of the potions and syringes, contemporary yet not, either magic science or alchemical so maybe could be a semi-sorcerous, antiquity type vibe to it    

Then there's Stallings

Spoiler

who is another one of them.

Sugar is reluctant to devolve to violence, there's no apparent ulterior motive for the kind things he does. Yet there's Stallings [just as hooked up if not more so] but he's sadistic and runs a sanctioned human trafficking ring.

Edited by JGP

19 hours ago, Isis said:

This sounds like a Friday Night Special. *checks* Hang on, it's not on Prime, Netflix or Paramount so it looks like I can't watch it. :crying:  Extra sad because I really need a so bad its good film to watch tonight after a nightmare week.

In other news I watched the end of Leatherjackets S2 last night. This has taken me ages to get through even though I like it a lot, not a reflection on the show just on my chronically overemplyed life. Absolutely love Juliet Lewis - which is part of the reason I wanted to watch this in the first place. Also love Elijah Wood and Christina Ricci. In fairness, lots of good performances but especially enjoyed those.    

It is on Prime here in Canada. Maybe not so in the US? Anyway I enjoyed it although it did tail off a bit in the second half.

MAX's Hacks is back for its third season, starring Jean Smart and Hannah Einbinder. Some of the characters around them are pretty meh, but the stars really carry the show with their chemistry and the complexities of their characters' relationships with one another. Some funny stuff with some actual heart in it.

re Sugar, read an article this morning where a few amongst cast and show have confirmed

Spoiler

definitely Alien.

Posted (edited)

Just finished rewatching The Shield for the first time since its original run (Blu-ray version which looks great btw and retains the grainy documentary feel but with better colours and sound). What a great series. Absolutely nailed the landing and remains one of the best ever finales of a series. Definitely deserves recognition among the greatest series ever although it does seem to be overlooked among the general populace - I'd rate it above Breaking Bad easily. The only weak season is season 6 which may be a result of the writers strike back then.

eta. next up is a first time rewatch of Justified.

Edited by Consigliere

29 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Just finished rewatching The Shield for the first time since its original run (Blu-ray version which looks great btw and retains the grainy documentary feel but with better colours and sound). What a great series. Absolutely nailed the landing and remains one of the best ever finales of a series. Definitely deserves recognition among the greatest series ever although it does seem to be overlooked among the general populace - I'd rate it above Breaking Bad easily. The only weak season is season 6 which may be a result of the writers strike back then.

This is a set of rewatches I can get behind. I did this with my wife who hadn’t seen the shows recently and it was glorious. Next up for us is Friday Night Lights. 

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Mexal said:

This is a set of rewatches I can get behind. I did this with my wife who hadn’t seen the shows recently and it was glorious. Next up for us is Friday Night Lights. 

Ha! I'm going to get to Friday Night Lights eventually as well. Haven't done a rewatch since its original run but that was another fun series.

Edited by Consigliere

Posted (edited)

I went to see The Fall Guy as well and liked it. The story is dumb as hell, which is what keeps it from greatness, but the way the film sells the inanity of its plot is admirable. It all zips along quite nicely and never really lets up with the jokes and action. Gosling and Blunt are a golden combo and the supporting cast aces it as well (I really like what Ted Lasso has done for Hannah Waddingham's career).

The banter is on point and the stunts are wonderful. It suffers a bit from the "Hollywood-is-so-amazing" kind of smugness I usually find a turn-off, but seeing how it's a love letter to stunts and stunt teams everywhere, I find that I can ignore it. Their creative contributions are indeed overlooked and it's high time for a dedicated Academy Award for stunt designers!

I also watched a western written and directed by none other than Viggo Mortensen, who also plays the lead in The Dead Don't Hurt. It's a very poetic take on the genre, which takes a pretty standard plot and then elevates it by jumping back and forth through time. This creates dramatic space for an incredible cast to fill with some beautifully poignant performances. It's the type of film you see and that turns you quiet and contemplative. A real treat. I'd warmly recommend it just for the performances alone.

18 hours ago, Consigliere said:

Funnily enough, I just finished reading Elmore Leonard's Fire in the Hole, the original short story on which the show is based. If you haven't done so, I'd recommend it :)

Edited by Veltigar