Call Out To The Fallout (Amazon Prime show)

I've tried to avoid it but I've failed. 

I'm going to be absolutely gutted if the new Fallout show releasing tomorrow on Amazon Prime isn't absolutely spectacular. It's quite possibly my favorite game series and I've gotten fully and irretrievably hyped.

Anybody seen (no spoilers) some of the early episodes? Anybody have thoughts or predictions before it drops?

(I didn't see a thread for the show, feel free to delete or merge if one exists)

Edited by Ser Not Appearing

I've played every Fallout game I think, oh except Fallout 76 (who would play that garbage!). I didn't have any high hopes for the series until I saw the trailer, which I thought looked spot on and seemed to get the tone right.

I don't think there are any especially good stories in any of the games. The plots are generally pretty amusing pastiches of other movies and games, and it all works quite well to create a fun universe. I've never felt involved in any of the characters or storylines though. 

I guess there is a lot they can do, and a lot of freedom to create a good story, because they don't have to stick to any pre-existing plotlines.

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

I didn't have any high hopes for the series until I saw the trailer, which I thought looked spot on and seemed to get the tone right.

This seems to have been a pretty common reaction from game fans. The trailers at least have nailed it, hopefully that's representative. 

And I've only played 1 and 2.

Generally positive reviews, especially about the look of the show, though THR says that the pacing is a bit languorous in a way that can be frustrating. (It's also fairly explicit about a spoiler I think everyone guessed, but just saying.), and Brian Lowry at CNN echoes it saying it gets a bit messy narratively. 

33 minutes ago, Ran said:

Generally positive reviews, especially about the look of the show, though THR says that the pacing is a bit languorous in a way that can be frustrating. (It's also fairly explicit about a spoiler I think everyone guessed, but just saying.), and Brian Lowry at CNN echoes it saying it gets a bit messy narratively. 

Ah, like the games!

Aaahhhh!

I’ve been looking forward all day to watching this, ever since I learned the release date was moved up. 

But I get home from work and find out the time of the release here isn’t until 8:00 pm. 

Those monsters. 

Posted (edited)

First episode ... good but I hope it gets better from here.

Spoiler

The vault fight scenes almost hit but didn't and the choice with the dad and mystery of identity of the woman there felt off. I mean ... why did he even stick her in the locker? It just was kinda weird. That part disappointed.

Edited by Ser Not Appearing

I've only played Fallout 4 for about an hour (screen was making me dizzy) and never went back.  But I have quickly watched the first three episodes of this show (after watching the latest Bad Batch) and am liking Lucy's, Maximus', and Coop's story lines so far, not sure about Norman's yet, waiting to see where that goes.   

Hadn't watched the trailers so Michael Rapaport and Michael Emerson were nice surprises.

Seen the first two episodes. The second episode narrowly avoided Linda's "nope, not watching any more" list,

Spoiler

showing a puppy being  tossed into an incinerator was barely acceptable, killing Dogmeat CX404 would have been an end to it. 

It's very gory and also very off-kilter with its humor, which I guess is probably in line with the Fallout franchise (which I have never played before). Interested in seeing how it develops. And even without a nose, Walter Goggins is always watchable. I can sort of feel where it might start to wear thin, tonally, if they take a more languid pace.

8 hours ago, Leofric said:

Hadn't watched the trailers so Michael Rapaport and Michael Emerson were nice surprises.

Rapaport in particular made me LOL when I realized who he was. Good casting.

2 hours ago, Ran said:

It's very gory and also very off-kilter with its humor, which I guess is probably in line with the Fallout franchise

It very much is.

But it's interesting how, for me, it plays slightly differently when I'm in control and finding the humor and choosing the violence vs when it's all being presented to me.

First two eps were pretty awesome, especially decent given my viewing audience hadn't played the game. The Aw shucks vibe of the vault dwellers and the action beats have played pretty well, along with the over the top hilarious gore. 

Just watched the whole thing, pretty decent show. Way more successful and entertaining than Rings of Power and Wheel of Time, joining The Boys and Invincible as the only Amazon Originals worth watching.

It adapts the structure and premise of Fallout well into a semi-episodic TV show, basically each episode is the characters getting sidetracked by something in the Wasteland that escalates into something fucked up.

However... it does do certain things with the lore and setting that works fine in the context of the show's story but will likely be controversial within the larger context of the franchise. Plus some inconsistencies that will drive fans crazy unless the next season soft-retcons them.

• Ser Not Appearing changed the title to Call Out To The Fallout (Amazon Prime show)