What is the beverage you just drank or are drinking or are about to drink?

Larry of the Lawn

Dinner was lovely. Beer is great. :)

22 oz. at 12% seems to be a bit more than I can handle.

CHICKEN AND WAFFLES! (I've only had that combo a couple times, actually, and I don't have a special love for it, but I really enjoy putting those words together.)

On a beery note -- yes, it can be frustrating when breweries put their strongest beers into their largest bottles (22 oz or 750 mL, depending on the brewery), especially for those of us drinking a beer solo. Not only do you end up spending a lot more for the beer (sometimes disproportionately so, as discussed here), but you end up possibly drinking more than you should in one sitting and missing out on the opportunity to save some of the beer for some post-aging evaluation. I'd rather buy 2 (or more) 12 oz. bottles than a 22 oz. (or 750 mL) bottle of a strong beer any time, given the choice.

One of the best cases of beer I've bought was a Bell's Third Coast Old Ale that I've worked my way through very slowly over the past 6 years or so. The great thing about it is that it's easy to enjoy 12 ounces of a beer that's over 10% ABV at a time, and the rest just sits in my closet, slowly evolving over time.

Of course, tonight we shared a 750 mL bottle of Lost Abbey's Judgement Day, a 10.5% ABV Belgian-style strong dark ale. We were having dry-aged ribeye for dinner, and Judgement Day is my go-to steak beer. Good thing there were two of us sharing the bottle, or I might be incoherent right now.

Earlier today we had the good fortune of finding a Pretty Things beer on tap, which is not a common occurrence here in NYC. They are one of my favorite breweries, and their Fringe pale ale is mighty tasty on a summer afternoon.

Some wine with a stork on the label. Followed by some wine... without? a stork on the label? Today: water.

Man, I suck at this thread.

actually the stork wine was

Villasilos and was rather lovely. Still can't remember what beer I had the other night though, or even the name of the pub)

Eta: Scot, cooking lager is a joke neologism based on the implied lower quality of any alcohol described as "cooking-", it's not a real phrase.

BFC,

I've never seen the term "cooking lager" before. It means low quality lager, right? Essentially mass produced American beer like, Natural Light, or Miller Light?

What min said, but in the UK it means Becks vier (vier because its 4%) or amstel, fosters at a push, carling or Carlsberg never.

Discovered we had two bottles of LA Mayan Apocalypse. Any thoughts on a food pairing for those?

I'm pretty sure we had that with steak, since Judgement Day is our default steak beer and the Mayan Apocalypse is Judgement Day with chilies and cinnamon (and maybe something else), if I remember correctly.

Archived