Watch, Watched, Watching: The Art of the Rewatch edition

Ramsay B.

We started watching this professional cooking show on Netflix called The Final Table. It's interesting without being amazing but I am beyond irritated by the way US shows use subtitles when people are speaking English with an accent. How will people learn to understand other accents if they don't even try? It's incredibly insulting to the person speaking. The show has the chefs cook dishes from different counties around the world and there is a fair amount of conversation in other languages, which requires subtitles. But you don't need to subtitle people speaking English. 

35 minutes ago, Isis said:

We started watching this professional cooking show on Netflix called The Final Table. It's interesting without being amazing but I am beyond irritated by the way US shows use subtitles when people are speaking English with an accent. How will people learn to understand other accents if they don't even try? It's incredibly insulting to the person speaking. The show has the chefs cook dishes from different counties around the world and there is a fair amount of conversation in other languages, which requires subtitles. But you don't need to subtitle people speaking English. 

to be fair the UK/BBC does this a lot on travel shows/documentaries where they are talking to people from other countries who speak English (Africa and Caribbean tend to be worst offenders). But I agree it means it's a generally insulting move by TV producers. It's pretty offensive and I think a fair compromise would be to allow viewers to choose whether they want the subtitles or not. Not much excuse for Netflix in this regard as there's usually subtitle and dubbing options. It seems they are just lazy when it's not in a non-English language.

My TV viewing has been almost non-existent for 2 weeks beyond background news and xmas comedy reruns. It's been a nice break actually but one I'd probably not manage under normal circumstances. It certainly helps having a week in Germany followed by festive drinking.

38 minutes ago, red snow said:

to be fair the UK/BBC does this a lot on travel shows/documentaries where they are talking to people from other countries who speak English (Africa and Caribbean tend to be worst offenders). But I agree it means it's a generally insulting move by TV producers. It's pretty offensive and I think a fair compromise would be to allow viewers to choose whether they want the subtitles or not. Not much excuse for Netflix in this regard as there's usually subtitle and dubbing options. It seems they are just lazy when it's not in a non-English language.

I've noticed it a lot on American TV shows, particularly when they are showing British people. I find it quite amusing that someone from the US would be unable to understand someone from Liverpool.

3 hours ago, Heartofice said:

I've noticed it a lot on American TV shows, particularly when they are showing British people. I find it quite amusing that someone from the US would be unable to understand someone from Liverpool.

I've seen geordies subtitled in their own country. 

On 12/24/2018 at 8:18 PM, Tywin et al. said:

Oh I know you're a villainous scoundrel who does dastardly deeds on the interwebs. I was just trying to help you keep up the facade. 

Fool! 

Aye, I walked right into that one. I really should have accepted your help. Heck, I think I broke a new record. First post in many months and I immediately got a temporary ban handed down to me, good to be back :lol: 

On 12/24/2018 at 11:54 PM, williamjm said:

I do agree with this a bit, the lead actresses are really good but while individual scenes may be compelling the overall plot isn't really holding my attention.

I finished it last night. What a terrible bore it turned out to be. Unless people start raving about how the second season is much better than the first, I don't think I will be back. By the end there was only one clear reason to watch and that was Villanelle's outfits (the costume designer on this show has style), even the quirkiness wasn't enough to upset just how dumb the plot is.

On 12/24/2018 at 7:54 PM, Zorral said:

I've not had much watching time lately either.  The last things I watched with tremendous joy were earlier in the year, and I've watched very little since: Billions, and YES! The Last Kingdom!

Destiny is all! :bowdown: What did you think? Best season yet?

On 12/24/2018 at 7:54 PM, Zorral said:

I've seen only the first 1 and a half episodes of Derry Girls so far, which I will have you know I toasted in your name.  I love that it is so short.  Kids and adolescents really aren't what I like, nor are sitch comedies.  But I do like this, for a lot of reasons, particularly due to its location in time and space.  The history bubbling under the adolescents' totally self-centered, and even the sly self-aware self-centeredness of a couple of them -- countered then by their sheer awful awkwardness in other situations, such as with BOYS!,  lifts it -- or deepens it? -- just a bit above -- or below -- its fun, and illuminations of adolescents, which aren't illuminating at all for someone like me at my age, of course.  I find the parents and the nuns even more interesting.  Again, thank goodness, the episodes are so short.  I also get really tired of hearing the eff bomb all the time, just like I get tired of constant cigarettes -- authentic as it is -- in so many depictions of previous periods.  I really love no cell phones though, which is equally period.  :thumbsup:

Sister Michael is the best. That women really doesn't give a fuck. I found this compilation of her bits on youtube, which I sometimes go back to :D Such a marvel that character. 

As someone who is also really not into sitcoms, I do agree with your take. And the way the show handles it setting is indeed brilliant. Its quite scarry to see all the crazy things happening in the background and thinking that this was the reality in Europe even during our lifetime. 

On 12/25/2018 at 2:34 AM, HelenaExMachina said:

Derry Girls was renewed for season 2 and filming wrapped some time ago

Great news :D

On 12/25/2018 at 12:33 AM, Zorral said:

P.S.   I have to agree about Killing Eve.  Like Three Signboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri, and Book Club, it was meretricious.

http://foxessa-foxhome.blogspot.com/2018/12/killing-eve-villainous-villain.html

Love this part of your review

My own sense of Killing Eve is that the sum of its parts amounts to very little.

Good summation of the problem of the series. 

Killing Eve is great and I'll thank you to know it!
I'm a little concerned as I said in the other topic about the change of showrunner and writer, but then y'all crazy few who didn't like it might find that more of a hope than a concern.

Aquaman is cracking fun despite and sometimes because of being utterly silly.

6 hours ago, Veltigar said:

upset just how dumb the plot is.

On 12/24/2018 at 1:54 PM, Zorral said:

I've not had much watching time lately either.  The last things I watched with tremendous joy were earlier in the year, and I've watched very little since: Billions, and YES! The Last Kingdom!

Destiny is all! :bowdown: What did you think? Best season yet?

It was the best seasons most certainly in terms of pacing and rhythm -- though without the previous two seasons we wouldn't have what we need to appreciate all the good things. But there was that great drawback of Skade as character and as casting.  Gods!  Not even the Danes could stomach her except for that very stupid Bloodhair.

Still, nothing for me beats the revelation of the actor and character that was Our Alfred, as he faces face2face total disaster and needs must hide in the fenlands back in season 1.

Also some of the scenes featuring Alfred's daughter in season 2 were just great.

Maybe this is just another way of saying the whole thing is far better than most television historical fiction series by a factor of about a thousand.  And its whole is more than the sum of its parts.  :laugh:

The Magicians, season 3, is up streaming on netflix.  It's insane!  In all the good ways.

I mean, really, here we are with Quentin and Alice all wrapped in cellophane, waving a bottle of, presumably vodka?, bunnies as instant messengers, and lordessa knows what else.

It is crazy.  I don't think the books were like this, at least not on purpose.  Here this is just how it is and it makes no sense, because magic makes no sense, yet it hangs together.   It's so funny.  I keep watching, mouth hanging open, going, No, you didn't really do that, say that, go there.

And somehow Alice's chest gets larger every season -- and this is deliberate too.

There's just nothing like this anywhere else.

I watched the first episode of Derry Girls with my wife the other night.  I thought it was very funny but she wasn’t hugely impressed (she never really enjoys Irish/British comedy).  So I binged the rest of the season by myself on our long flight yesterday.  Six episodes of ~23 minutes each is so short compared to American TV seasons. 

I really enjoyed it and would recommend it highly.  

Just watched the Sandra Bullock movie Birdbox on Netflix.

I don't think I'll ever want to watch it again but the first time through I was pretty glued to the screen.

John Malkovich was great in it.

I never read the book so I'm just going on what I saw in the movie, but

Spoiler

The pictures Gary made, some or most were definitely Lovecraftian and maybe I caught one picture that was Cthulhu. If the monsters in the movie were meant to be Lovecraftian I think no other movie could do them justice like this one did. Invisible until you see them, and when you do see them they are so terrifying, so inexplicable, so soul sucking, you can't stand to live anymore, unless you are all ready crazy and then you them beautiful and want to help them.

I found that concept truly chilling.

This is the movie The Happening should have been, only it's good The Happening exists as it does as a so bad it's good and really funny movie.

If Shayamlan did make this movie though I bet he couldn't have helped adding a twist like

Spoiler

in the end Malorie finds out she was in a coma due to blood loss after giving birth or something and all the voices she was hearing were people who loved her trying to wake her up to the real world, a la Futurama.

Or to top himself Malorie thinks she's woken up in the "real world" only to find it's the final trick of Cthulu to tempt her out to see it, the world falls apart to reveal the apocalypse really did happen and it ends with Malorie's eyes turning and tearing up.

In other news, Avengers: Infinity War was released on Netflix today so I'll probably watch that next.

I'm late to the party but about halfway through Season 2 of The Good Place and it is SO good, which many of you already know. I just finished the episode where Janet creates a rebound boyfriend and ...:lmao:

Also, did the tour of Universal Studios last week and got to see the neighborhood 'downtown' up close - the water fountain and Knish From a Rose.

Archived