Sign in to follow this  
Jerol

Scott Lynch's Thorn of Emberlain is Not Completed

53 minutes ago, Lord Patrek said:

The minute they reach the copy edit stage, we'll get a pub date for sure.

But the prolonged radio silence from everyone involved has me concerned that it may be a while yet. . . :unsure:

I don’t get it though. I thought he was done.

33 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Wasn’t The Thorn of Emberlain supposed to be the original starting point of this series?

Yes. Books 1-3 are effectively prequels he wrote because he realised he needed the reader to have much more empathy for and knowledge of Locke, Sabetha and Jean as characters.

I don’t get it though. I thought he was done.

Lynch completed a first draft about two years ago. Rewrites and edits had not been begun at that stage.

Two years for rewrites and edits is an incredibly long time (given that a lot of people write a book from scratch, rewrite, edit and publish in a 12 to 24-month period in total).

On 4/15/2021 at 7:53 AM, Werthead said:

Yes. Books 1-3 are effectively prequels he wrote because he realised he needed the reader to have much more empathy for and knowledge of Locke, Sabetha and Jean as characters.

Lynch completed a first draft about two years ago. Rewrites and edits had not been begun at that stage.

Two years for rewrites and edits is an incredibly long time (given that a lot of people write a book from scratch, rewrite, edit and publish in a 12 to 24-month period in total).

I guess I was mistaken. I really thought he posted a picture on Twitter of the completed manuscript. Must have been just the first draft.

Can we get the thread title changed?

2 hours ago, Garlan the Gallant said:

I guess I was mistaken. I really thought he posted a picture on Twitter of the completed manuscript. Must have been just the first draft.

Probably not the first draft per se, but it was the draft that Lynch submitted to his editors. Given the elapsed time since then, it does appear that it wasn't up to par and the editorial notes were many. How far along he is in the rewrites and when the manuscript will be accepted, your guess is as good as mine.

4 hours ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Looks like Lynch and Rothfuss are determined to

outdo Martin....

Well, Rothfuss already has (The Wise Man's Fear came out five months before A Dance with Dragons). Lynch, whose most recent book came out two-and-a-half years after theirs, obviously can't overtake them until one of them publishes.

Weird that Lynch’s next book was expected not too long after Republic, yet the gap between it and Republic is now greater than the gap betwern Red Seas and Republic

1 hour ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Weird that Lynch’s next book was expected not too long after Republic, yet the gap between it and Republic is now greater than the gap betwern Red Seas and Republic

That sort of thing blows my mind.  Kinda like how I remember thinking there was a huge gap between Feast and Dance... and GRRM just sorta said "Hold my beer."

Hasn't Lynch said before that he finds the act of revising much harder than the writing itself? Combine that with the stress (however self inflicted it was or wasn't) that must have come with the dirty laundry coming out in the wash last summer and it's not a huge shock it's taking a while.

It might also be a case of his publishers wanting to wait a little to make sure that last summer's dirty laundry doesn't impact sales too much.

Lots of people seem to feel that Lynch got off the hook rather easily and might want to throw shit his way should the pub date be announced. His editors might want to give people time to forget that bad things involving him did happen. . .

Posted (edited)

The general audience is unaware of that. I think for the people who do pay attention to that, Lynch has gone into the "amber alert" category where future rumours/behaviour will be watched but he's not got everyone calling for his head (Bear is in that category as well after the whole racefail thing, and that was a decade ago, and she's published plenty of books since then). Hell, Cole and Sykes were given extra rope and second and third chances before they got to the point of having their contracts pulled.

Edited by Werthead

Bear, Cole, and Sykes didn't sign 6-figure book deals. Neither are NYT bestselling authors. 

Gollancz and Bantam Spectra understand that shit thrown Lynch's way could impact sales if said shit is picked up by more popular news outlets. In light of that, waiting an extra few months wouldn't be amiss. Even though, as polishgenius pointed out, it might not make a difference.

We'll have to wait and see. . .

I did see this about a potential 10/2021 release date.  I keep hoping.  Are there any preview chapters out for TOE?

https://epicstream.com/news/MadalenaDaleziou/The-Thorn-of-Emberlain-Gentleman-Bastard-Book-4-Release-Date-Kindle-News-Dust-Jacket-Updates-and-Everything-You-Need-To-Know