Video Games: Keanu Re3ves Is Breathtaking

KiDisaster

5 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Doing some research on the ethics and increasingly poor business practices of video game companies, and how this affects the relationship with their customers communities.

Creative Assembly seem a good example of turning the nightmare of launches like Rome II and Attila into the triumph that is the TotalWarhammer Series. 

Any other heroes or villains?

Don't know about heroes, but EA and Bioware are firmly in the villains category.

10 hours ago, briantw said:

Yeah, you pretty much just have to power through the stupid story bits and just focus on the orc murdering.  The nemesis system is what the game is really about. 

I just noticed that maybe playing this game wasn't such a good idea after all. I am so incredibly bad at this.

So I booted the game, found a side-quest where you have to stealth-kill 10 orcs in a slave camp in 3 minutes. I really don't like something as stressful as a timer to random quests. Anyway, so I made my way through the camp and killed the first 7 orcs without a hassle. Then I sneaked up upon the 8th orc, standing at the edge of a platform. I hit the left mouse button and suddenly Talion leaped with wide-spread arms through the orc and dove down into a group of orcs below, only to whack one of them with his sword exactly once.

Immediately the entire camp was upon me, the quest pretty much failed. I fought the random mooks down, but took a few hits when my camera decided that the inside of aforementioned platform was more interesting than my fight. I was downed, but somehow managed to fight myself up again, actually slaughtering them more effectively than before. Until an orc captain with a crossbow showed up, kicked me over and put a bunch of bolts into my head.

I guess I am too impatient at this. I also must admit that I'm barely able to keep up with all the button combinations explained only in split-seconds. Whenever I try to interrogate an orc I execute him instead. And I am too lazy to look the keybinds up as of yet.

Gongsun be rolling. One of Shu-Han's vassals attacked one of my vassals, which led everyone into a war, and I'm taking territory left and right so far. So much so that Wu decided to get into the action and just declared war on them too. It helps that 1) Liu Bei's armies were far from my front lines, 2) their territory was fractured into three big clumps rather than being together, along with 3) breaking up those three clumps is Cao Cao, who is my coalition partner, and 4) I have three horse pastures and can currently run cavalry units for 70 gold per turn.

I'm still pretty far from winning the game, but I feel pretty good about how things are going. And I don't feel overextended the way my Liu Bei game was. This game has also been interesting in a couple new ways. This is the first game I've played where the Dong Zhou death events never fired. He's still alive in 218 and is actually my vassal now. Also, the Han Empire faction still had a decent amount of territory when I vassalized Dong and it became an independent. I was hoping that in this unique circumstance, it being independent and there being no puppet Emperor, there'd be some unique event to turn it into a normal faction. Unfortunately, no; according to the tooltips it still had the same limitations as ever. So I did the right thing and vassalized it too.

Which was a big help since, I'm powerful enough that no one wants to directly attack me. So Wu is cut in half because the Han still owns a line of provinces in Jing. And Liu Bei's beach-head in Yi was cutoff from the weak powers there, because the Han provinces there were never taken. Unfortunately, once war broke out, Liu Bei started gobbling up those Han lands that he could. But fortunately, what he is taking is not nearly as valuable as what I'm taking from his mostly undefended front with me. He apparently was relying on his vassal Kong Rong to protect him. Well, that didn't work and Kong Rong is down to a single port which will soon fall.

15 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Creative Assembly seem a good example of turning the nightmare of launches like Rome II and Attila into the triumph that is the TotalWarhammer Series. 

Any other heroes or villains?

I think Creative Assembly do a decent job of turning around some pretty poor early decisions. Rome 2 was a total dud when it came out but I think after a couple of years of updates and game changes its at a point of being pretty reasonable. Even Warhammer initially had some bad DLCs and underhand selling practices, but its the one game I own that has been constantly fixed and updated and improved.
They have accepted the mistakes they made and tried to remedy them to some extent. I also like that they regularly update on their blog and when you read patch notes they are quite open things that didn't work. For instance when they couldn't get Norsca into Mortal Empires they held their hands up and explained why. 

I don't know if that always works though, I was reading a comment by the guys behind No Mans Sky saying that sometimes its best to just say nothing and try not to engage with the criticism (and they had a lot), and from what I hear that game is now in a far better place.

Do wireless gaming headphones hold up better than wired ones? I have two pair but on one the mic doesn't work and now on the other the right ear doesn't work anymore. I suspect the problem is with the jack but I'm not sure. 

26 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Do wireless gaming headphones hold up better than wired ones? I have two pair but on one the mic doesn't work and now on the other the right ear doesn't work anymore. I suspect the problem is with the jack but I'm not sure. 

I've had the same pair of Razer wired headphones for like ten years now and they still work great.  

I'm blazing through Horizon Zero Dawn. Great game though a little on the repetitive size with all the machine monsters. Doesn't bother me that much though cause the story is compelling. Just learned about FARO and the good doctor.

2 hours ago, Mexal said:

I'm blazing through Horizon Zero Dawn. Great game though a little on the repetitive size with all the machine monsters. Doesn't bother me that much though cause the story is compelling. Just learned about FARO and the good doctor.

I’m at the point where Daniels told my Aloy it’s basically the endgame, so I’m just gonna finish getting all the collectibles before I venture on. I wanna hit all small areas of the map I missed too. Great game and I’m gonna play the DLC right after. 

3 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

I’m at the point where Daniels told my Aloy it’s basically the endgame, so I’m just gonna finish getting all the collectibles before I venture on. I wanna hit all small areas of the map I missed too. Great game and I’m gonna play the DLC right after. 

I just met Daniels for the first time (visually). Heard his voice on the way to the FARO lab. I laughed when I finally placed his voice.

8 hours ago, Heartofice said:

I think Creative Assembly do a decent job of turning around some pretty poor early decisions. Rome 2 was a total dud when it came out but I think after a couple of years of updates and game changes its at a point of being pretty reasonable. Even Warhammer initially had some bad DLCs and underhand selling practices, but its the one game I own that has been constantly fixed and updated and improved.
They have accepted the mistakes they made and tried to remedy them to some extent. I also like that they regularly update on their blog and when you read patch notes they are quite open things that didn't work. For instance when they couldn't get Norsca into Mortal Empires they held their hands up and explained why. 

I don't know if that always works though, I was reading a comment by the guys behind No Mans Sky saying that sometimes its best to just say nothing and try not to engage with the criticism (and they had a lot), and from what I hear that game is now in a far better place.

Yeah, man. I totally love what they've done since the shambles of R2 & Attila. Warhammer is freaking awesome! It's my second favourite game.

The makers of my absolute favourite title in the history of gaming invited me and a couple of other power users up to their studios today. After signing two NDAs, I can't say who it was, or even which town I was in, but what I can say is that after thirty years working in an environment where if you don't treat your customers extremely fucking well you won't have customers for very long, gaming companies have an awful lot to learn.

Grabbed Frostpunk two days ago.

Ungrateful little bastards. I was doing the first scenario and got to day 48. Of the 512 people  I started with at the beginning of the megastorm, about 240 were still alive. And they had the audacity to banish me into  minus 110 degree Celsius weather for incompetence.

I was the only reason they were still breathing!

15 hours ago, RumHam said:

What are you using for headphones? I hate wireless everything, I don't want to have to charge or change batteries. I went through something crazy like 3 Logitech headsets in less than 3 years before giving up on their terrible build quality. I've had a Microsoft LifeChat something or other for years since then and it's been great. They felt a little tight at first but soon loosened up.

Recently I decided to upgrade to hopefully get increased comfort and improved sound. I ordered an Arctis SteelSeries 5. They haven't arrived yet so I can't report on them, and obviously I won't have longevity data for quite a while.

I have a strong preference for USB over the double 3.5mm jacks. Might be worth considering if you have concerns about durability on your plugs.

Been playing Napoleon: Total War. I'm finding the episodic story campaigns, where you have to do the Italian, Egyptian, Austrian/Russian and Waterloo campaigns in order on custom campaign maps, to be hugely fun. For a game based on sprawling empire-building, Total War does seem to be at its best when it's tighter and more focused.

Continuing through my game breaking Skyrim run and it's kind of hilarious how broken you can make this game.  My armor gives me 30 million HP, I have a Legendary Wooden Sword that does 20 million damage and soul trap, and a fire sword that does 20 million fire damage.  My necklace of lockpicking makes picking lock 1 million percent easier, along with rings of potion making and enchanting that got me to where I am.  Also made a circlet that has a million defense.  I also have a dagger that does the min integer (-2 billion?) that is worth the max integer.

It's fun and easy to go to when I have a few minutes, which seems about all the time I have for games these days.

6 hours ago, Inigima said:

What are you using for headphones? I hate wireless everything, I don't want to have to charge or change batteries. I went through something crazy like 3 Logitech headsets in less than 3 years before giving up on their terrible build quality. I've had a Microsoft LifeChat something or other for years since then and it's been great. They felt a little tight at first but soon loosened up.

Recently I decided to upgrade to hopefully get increased comfort and improved sound. I ordered an Arctis SteelSeries 5. They haven't arrived yet so I can't report on them, and obviously I won't have longevity data for quite a while.

I have a strong preference for USB over the double 3.5mm jacks. Might be worth considering if you have concerns about durability on your plugs.

I have an official Microsoft one that probably came with the Xbox and then weird brand ear-muffs style pair that I got off amazon a year or so ago. I do think it's the 3.5mm jacks that are failing. I'm not sure if there's an Xbox controller that has a USB port though. Or do you just plug them into the system? I'd need a pretty long cord but it might be worth it. 

I did not consider the batteries dying mid-session, that would be annoying. 

41 minutes ago, Inigima said:

Ah I didn't realize this was for Xbox. How much are you looking to spend? 

I don't wanna go crazy or anything, Just something of good quality that will hold up. Now I'm considering some of those open air ones so I can hear what's going on around me better. But I haven't had a chance to really look into it. 

33 minutes ago, Simon Steele said:

I thought I'd hate it...but I've been in a zone of Friday the 13th the game (3 bucks during the sale), and...40 hours (?) later...I guess I got my money's worth.

What Platform? I had lot of fun with that game when it came out on Xbox /PS4/ PC. I know it recently came out on switch.

The experience is far improved with the right people. Better thought of as a party game than a traditional multiplayer experience. 

Archived