Streaming Services (business / market / service, not content-focused)

SpaceChampion

30 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I think you’re splitting hairs.  The rule was always one household per account, they added a new level of enforcement to it… but the rule was existing.

No, what they did was, they changed their definition of 'household'. They had previously been clear that this was not limited to one location. The new definition, as I've pointed out before, doesn't actually mean 'household', it means 'address'. 

Partner hardly ever watches anything, but occasionally there is something so he does.  All the streaming accounts are in my name, with the exception of Prime, and every time he watches something like Cameronhttps://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-reviews/camaron-flamenco-revolution-1116817/  NF notifies me "your account registered a new device/viewer. If it is someone in your family, enjoy!" Or whichever words to that effect they use. We, of course, have the same IP address. It's also the same if I happen to view something on a device not used in a long while, or a new one.  They have always been on it.  Which means they know your devices too, because if I watch something on my laptop or tablet in another city, they also take notice.

4 hours ago, Zorral said:

Partner hardly ever watches anything, but occasionally there is something so he does.  All the streaming accounts are in my name, with the exception of Prime, and every time he watches something like Cameronhttps://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-reviews/camaron-flamenco-revolution-1116817/  NF notifies me "your account registered a new device/viewer. If it is someone in your family, enjoy!" Or whichever words to that effect they use. We, of course, have the same IP address. It's also the same if I happen to view something on a device not used in a long while, or a new one.  They have always been on it.  Which means they know your devices too, because if I watch something on my laptop or tablet in another city, they also take notice.

“Looks like you’re traveling!”

• 2 weeks later...

Is anyone except jerkwaddie surprised that his bonehead decision to rebrand the very successful and trusted HBO as MAX has resulted in this:

https://screenrant.com/hbo-max-discovery-plus-subscribers-profit-loss-warner-bros/

WB Lost 1.8M Subscribers After HBO Max Rebrand, Reports $1.24B Total Loss

Warner Bros. Discovery posts huge losses in the 2nd quarter of 2023, including losing millions of subscribers in the wake of the HBO Max rebrand.

Muskecks is not alone.

But WB wasn't surprised either, since they forecast a loss and initial churn from the move? Maybe not quite as much as they got, but still. It's obvious the move will be initially confusing and that will lead to lost subscriptions.

Having previously been disciplined rotators of streaming services, with only Netflix and Prime as constants, I think we’ve now had Max/HBO, BritBox and Peacock (for PL football and whatever rugby is available) uninterrupted for a long time too.  I used to drop each of them for months at a time.  Max/HBO hasn’t had much of interest to me in their recent shows (Warrior S3 excepted) but they have an incredible back-catalogue for rewatch. 

Disney+, AppleTV, Paramount, Hulu, etc are losing out in our house for lack of quality and/or breadth.  I’ll turn each of them on for 2-3 months to binge one or two particular shows and then drop them again.

We’re just one household and obviously out of step with the zeitgeist around Succession (unpleasant people being unpleasant to each other — why is pop culture so miserable?), Euphoria, The Last Of Us (well made but still another post-apocalyptic misery), Severance.  But regardless of whether our particular bundle is representative, the next chapter for streaming is probably some convergence toward the winners (not everyone throwing silly money at any script) that will form a new equilibrium.  We just don’t know yet the equilibrium level of content vs cost vs ads.  We just know it won’t be as favorable as recent years when cheap capital fueled an arms race for subscribers.

@Iskaral PustOur households are about the same, watch habit/routine wise. (Even the response to Succession -- we struggled through 4 episodes before deciding we lacked interest in any of the characters).

We keep Disney for the promise of the next Marvel/Star Wars show, but most shows have failed on that promise lately. Holding out for Ashoka. And maybe Loki. Then we'll take a hiatus.

1 hour ago, Myrddin said:

We keep Disney for the promise of the next Marvel/Star Wars show, but most shows have failed on that promise lately. Holding out for Ashoka. And maybe Loki. Then we'll take a hiatus.

I was mildly annoyed that Disney had so much time between Secret Invasion and Ahsoka. Usually it was only about 1 week. At least I'm re-watching some Rebels now.

I recently cancelled the majority of my streamers with expiration dates set later this month. Every time I cancelled, one of the reasons I put was that I support the WGA and SAG-AFTRA strikes. With the strikes going on which have delayed new seasons and new shows, I'm thinking my hiatus for these streamers will be longer.

The biggest chore to cancel is AppleTV. There seems to be some issue with remembering my password, or something. I got annoyed having to go through all the steps more than once. So AppleTV from now on will be once-a-year affair for me - get it for one month, watch everything I care about, and cancel. 

7 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

The biggest chore to cancel is AppleTV. There seems to be some issue with remembering my password, or something. I got annoyed having to go through all the steps more than once. So AppleTV from now on will be once-a-year affair for me - get it for one month, watch everything I care about, and cancel. 

I hear ads all the time for one app or another that say they provide a dashboard that will allow you to cancel subscriptions with just the tap of a button.   Are those things legit?  How are they funded if they are free to the consumer?  Lots of ads for other streaming services as you cancel a different one?

I just found out that we’ve had an unwatched AppleTV subscription running in the background for the past several months after a free period (after buying a new iPad) just rolled into a paid period.  I hate scummy tactics like that.

We’ve started Hijack based on a rec from a friend, but then we’ll shut down the subscription again.

I find Apple’s subscriptions quite easy to manage on my iPhone, it wouldn’t surprise me if it’s less easy to manage them if you don’t have an iPhone though. That’s pretty much what Apple always do.

Amazon Prime’s probably the worst for making it really irritating to unsubscribe in my experience.

5 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

I find Apple’s subscriptions quite easy to manage on my iPhone, it wouldn’t surprise me if it’s less easy to manage them if you don’t have an iPhone though. That’s pretty much what Apple always do.

Yes, it's practically impossible to manage the Apple sub on my FireTV, have to go through the PC browser, which is Windows so yeah. This is why I've always disliked Apple, but that's another story.

2 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

I just found out that we’ve had an unwatched AppleTV subscription running in the background for the past several months after a free period (after buying a new iPad) just rolled into a paid period.  I hate scummy tactics like that.

We’ve started Hijack based on a rec from a friend, but then we’ll shut down the subscription again.

That sucks.

I managed to stack 9 months of free AppleTV(PS5+LG) but cancelled it immediately which worked well enough.

But that is my usual approach for free subscriptions. Cancel immediately and you don't forget about it.

Apple TV has enough good stuff for a month or two of subscription per year I feel.

Looks like Disney has learned from Netflix and will be hiking the ad-free price for both Disney+ and Hulu, and cracking down on password sharing. 

https://variety.com/2023/digital/news/disney-plus-price-increase-hulu-espn-plus-1235692057/

So, basically, I am now taking Disney+ out of our "standard" channels after Ashoka. It'll now get cycled in for a month here or there to catch up on anything I've missed.

I wonder how many other households will go from giving Disney $120 a year to now just $14?

Edited by Myrddin

I wonder how many other households will go from giving Disney $120 a year to now just $14?

Well, it depends on with ads or not and bundling. I'm only paying 2$/month for Disney+ right now as I got a bundled deal with my Hulu. I think I get Hulu ads with it though and Hulu ads are the most terrible to endure in the business. (1 and a half minutes long, lots of annoying medical commercials, I don't mind most other steamer ads in comparison to those)

Also, I've had a lot of luck lately with canceling. I threatened to quit HBO and they gave me $4.99/month for 3 months. I threatened to quit Paramount+ with Showtime and they gave me 2 free months.

I don't really want to do a yearly deal as I like to every once in a while strip everything down and have Netflix only.

• 1 month later...

Disney+, ESPN+ Coming To Spectrum Cable As Disney/Charter Strike Deal

As part of the new deal, customers will be able to purchase Disney+, Hulu or The Disney Bundle directly through Charter. Anyone who purchases Spectrum TV Select Plus will get the basic version of Disney+ included in their package. Spectrum TV Select Plus customers will also get ESPN+ and ESPN's standalone streaming service, which hasn't launched yet. 

• 2 weeks later...

Amazon is bringing ads to Prime Video and will charge you to avoid them

https://www.cnn.com/2023/09/22/media/amazon-prime-video-ads/index.html

Streaming services are no long chasing subscribers, but rather investors are pressuring them to make money off the services, even if it comes at the expense of losing subscriptions. As a result, they are selling ads or hiking monthly prices.

Peacock is getting its first-ever price hike

https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/18/business/peacock-price-hike-august/index.html

Beginning immediately, new users will have to pay $5.99 monthly for a premium subscription (up from $4.99) and $11.99 per month for its premium plus tier, which is mostly ad-free, up from $9.99. An annual subscription now costs $59.99 (a $10 increase) for the former plan and $119.99 (a $20 increase) for the latter tier.

This seems counter intuitive: forcing people to pay for not having what they don't want.  Like what cable is: a hundred bux a month for endless channels of stuff you will never ever in a million years watch.  Doncha just lurve you some capitalism!

Edited by Zorral

Im as fully loaded on content as ive ever been thanks to being recently gifted a smart TV and having every app available.

HBO/MAX -check

Hulu-check

Amazon-check

Netflix-check

Showtime-check

Paramount+-check

Peacock-check

Disney-check

AppleTV-check

YoutubeTV-check

Plus a bevy of free apps like Plex and IMBD and Samsung TV, etc.

Theres probably more that Im not even recalling, its ridiculous.

Oh and im not paying for any of it :lmao::bowdown: