Watch, Watched, Watching: Hindsight in 2020

Ramsay B.

17 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Finished seasons 1 of Patriot. 

Hands down  favourite programme of the year. I loved every single thing about it. It is criminal how under marketed this show was. I’d never heard of it, and yet Amazon is happy to push trash at me all day.

From the fantastic soundtrack, the great acting, the incredible script, the humour, 5 minutes of just watching Rock Paper Scissors... I was just utterly hooked. 

It has characters that are just sticking with me forever. It’s funny but it’s sad, it’s flippant but hits me inside.

Just a great great show.

Yeah, criminally under-advertised by Amazon. Should have contended in awards season in my opinion. The Rock, Paper, Scissors scene was great. The first season of Altered Carbon tried to do the same scene to much, much less effect. 

Season 2 is equally good (and in some scenes, more hilarious) but is unfortunately the last.

12 hours ago, Ran said:

Glad you enjoyed it as much as I did. That ending had me in tears. 

I'm still thinking about it a day later. It's right up there with Parasite as my favorite movie of last year. Rather than compare the two given how different they are, I will just recommend them to everyone I know. Obviously everyone's heard of Parasite but Portrait of a Lady on Fire very much deserves to be discussed in the same breath. 

Spoiler

The scene at the fire with the peasant women... once the music started breaking out, I was mesmerized. Didn't know what was going on until they jumped into harmony. Absolutely stunning. It seems Sciamma wrote the music for it. What a talent to make a movie with no score have so much rhythm to it. The outbursts of music were just so perfectly timed.

Have you seen Celine Sciamma's other movies?

7 minutes ago, Mexal said:

I'm still thinking about it a day later. It's right up there with Parasite as my favorite movie of last year. Rather than compare the two given how different they are, I will just recommend them to everyone I know. Obviously everyone's heard of Parasite but Portrait of a Lady on Fire very much deserves to be discussed in the same breath. 

Yes! 

Hide contents

The scene at the fire with the peasant women... once the music started breaking out, I was mesmerized. Didn't know what was going on until they jumped into harmony. Absolutely stunning. It seems Sciamma wrote the music for it. What a talent to make a movie with no score have so much rhythm to it. The outbursts of music were just so perfectly timed.

Spoiler

It was eerie and wonderful, and gets heightend by the fact that there's no musical scoring at all. There's a great article at Slate about it here

Have you seen Celine Sciamma's other movies?

Just  Girlhood, the film she directed before. Also very good, but topically rather different. I'd really like to see Tomboy, an earlier film, and Water Lilies, her directorial debut which I suppose has some more direct similarities to Portrait of a Lady on Fire.

18 minutes ago, Ran said:

Yes! 

Reveal hidden contents

It was eerie and wonderful, and gets heightend by the fact that there's no musical scoring at all. There's a great article at Slate about it here

Just  Girlhood, the film she directed before. Also very good, but topically rather different. I'd really like to see Tomboy, an earlier film, and Water Lilies, her directorial debut which I suppose has some more direct similarities to Portrait of a Lady on Fire.

Thanks. I knew I recognized the beginning of that song. Very cool. Sciamma's relationship following Water Lillies with Adele Haenel also seems to have been an inspiration for this. I think I'll definitely have to check it out.

Finally watched Knives Out, and loved it. Ana de Armas was great, and Daniel Craig was funny with his southern accent. I really enjoyed the story, all the little moments of setup that paid off by the end, and the interwoven themes.

Watched Ladybird as it recently went up on UK Netflix. Great film, very much deserving of the praise it received on release. I suspect it would have been even more compelling had i come from a place like Sacramento. Regardless, it was funny, it was moving, it was well shot, and the performances by all were fantastic.

1 hour ago, KingintheNorth4 said:

So, Alita: Battle Angel was a dope film. I digged the post-apocalyptic cyberpunk setting and the designs of the cyborgs themselves were creative. I liked the story and performance and the action scenes were fun.

I am not really a big anime guy, and I expected to only enjoy this for the 3D. I actually really had a great time with it, and have shown it to several guests. The biggest draw is definitely the 3D stuff for me - i have an obnoxiously large pulldown screen and sets of the glasses. Movies made for 3D are such a joy, everyone says it looks way better than in a theater. This is absolutely one of the best movies to showcase it. The action scenes are wild, with people on my couch ducking the flying debris. Cameron is hands down the master of that out-of-favor tech, and I'll be a fanboy of his work forever regardless. 

Also, that movie is incredibly violent, really, but they get away with it because, hey cyborgs!

11 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Finally watched Knives Out, and loved it. Ana de Armas was great, and Daniel Craig was funny with his southern accent. I really enjoyed the story, all the little moments of setup that paid off by the end, and the interwoven themes.

There's an excellent "dissection of a scene" floating around youtube where Rian explains how the first scene with the whole cast went down. It highlights just how much thought goes into a film. He also confirms that iphones are not allowed to be used by the killer/bad guys - useful for modern whodunnit spotting.

I like the idea of having Craig centred follow-ups with different murders and cast of suspects. He should definitely consider doing that over more star wars. Even if his own star wars would probably benefit from not being sandwiched between other director's films and continuity baggage, i get the impression Rian works best when he can fully cut loose which i suspect is impossible with star wars

I started s3 of Babylon Berlin. I was pleasantly surprised since the release date of s3 completely slipped my mind. I've been stalling on some other series, so s3 released at just the right time.

46 minutes ago, Astromech said:

I started s3 of Babylon Berlin. I was pleasantly surprised since the release date of s3 completely slipped my mind. I've been stalling on some other series, so s3 released at just the right time.

Really need to start this show if only to practice my German. Also sounds like a great companion to boardwalk empire in seeing how other parts if world were at the time

On 2/29/2020 at 11:43 AM, Veltigar said:

Okay, I'll bite. What has he done?

Just do a search on twitter - you'll find everything you ever wanted to know. Short answer = priviliged white dude tells woc he is bored of racism.

We finished the first season of The Frankenstein Chronicles. I have to say I was kind getting of semi-bored with this towards the end, despite the marvellous hats. But the last episode really took things in a direction I was not expecting and this has lifted it higher in my estimations. Will definitely watch the second season now.

I was able to see three films recently:

1) Table 19: A delightful little romantic comedy from 2017 with Anne Kendrick. Not a classic by a long margin, but I would love to see more of its ilk. Very wholesome.

2) Risky Business: Had seen this year's ago and liked it, but now I rewatched it and it is absolutely brilliant. Rebecca De Morney's Lana is one of the most mesmerizing femme fatales to ever grace the silver screen. I find it hard to believe that she didn't go on to have the same longevity and impact as Tome Cruise (who was also outstanding). Furthermore this movie is really a perfect time capsule. There is nothing about values in there. It's all just about money and consumption and the ever-lasting need to get/do more of either. Really much better than a teenage comedy like this is supposed to be. 

3) Candyman: I had never seen the original and now that the new film has been announced, I decided to put it on the top of my list. Was really impressed by it. It's really a thinking man's horror film, which is always superior to the cheap schlocky jump scare horror we usually get. I get why this attracts interest for a reboot.

3 hours ago, Isis said:

Just do a search on twitter - you'll find everything you ever wanted to know. Short answer = priviliged white dude tells woc he is bored of racism.

Ah, I never go on Twitter. Got to protect my well-being. Glad that he didn't do anything douchy in an interesting way though. That means I don't have to look him up.

It was more nasty than that description implies:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/lostinshowbiz/2020/jan/23/want-to-know-what-racism-feels-like-ask-laurence-fox

Among other things, the fellow declares Sikhs don't belong in films about WWI, believes Mr Maga Romper to quite the cats pajamas -- and it's minorities who prevent him from making as much money in the theater as his dad did, and getting cast for the big onscreen roles.  This public school indulged fellow of a very successful London acting couple is a real workin' bloke doncha know, who knows as more about being a workin' bloke than a workin' bloke, and knows better what feels like to be a target of racism and sexism than targets of racism and sexism -- and often both, at the same time

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

It was more nasty than that description implies:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/lostinshowbiz/2020/jan/23/want-to-know-what-racism-feels-like-ask-laurence-fox

Among other things, the fellow declares Sikhs don't belong in films about WWI, believes Mr Maga Romper to quite the cats pajamas -- and it's minorities who prevent him from making as much money in the theater as his dad did, and getting cast for the big onscreen roles.  This public school indulged fellow of a very successful London acting couple is a real workin' bloke doncha know, who knows as more about being a workin' bloke than a workin' bloke, and knows better what feels like to be a target of racism and sexism than targets of racism and sexism -- and often both, at the same time

Pfff... this again 

sigh. 

5 hours ago, Veltigar said:

3) Candyman: I had never seen the original and now that the new film has been announced, I decided to put it on the top of my list. Was really impressed by it. It's really a thinking man's horror film, which is always superior to the cheap schlocky jump scare horror we usually get. I get why this attracts interest for a reboot.

Ah, I never go on Twitter. Got to protect my well-being. Glad that he didn't do anything douchy in an interesting way though. That means I don't have to look him up.

I remember this from being a teen and it was pretty damn good back then, IIRC the sequel was of course worse. 

15 hours ago, Triskele said:

Darn, guess the national Netflix channels (UK v. US, etc...) don't show the same things.  No Ladybird of Benjamin Button for me.

Nope, Netflix content varies by country (though i assume everywhere gets their originals). Pretty sure someone here once suggested some VPN witchery to get around the issue if you know which country the content you want is from

They rotate content, so it might turn up sometime, unless someone else bought the streaming rights in the US.

I used to add stuff to my list when I was away, so that it popped up on my page when it arrived in my country. But then the EU shut that down, so you could only get the stuff available on your account, no matter where you are in the EU.

But yes, they’re quite weak for VPN detection.

Archived