Hoarding

Martell Spy

14 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Wait, you watch that trash? Also, are you watching the US version or a German one?

Why would I watch the US version? To throw up on my telly when Palin gets unmaksed?

And yes, it's kinda trash, but fun. And it's pretty much the only one of those I watch, my guilty pleasure if you will. I mean, at least I am not watching the show that gets girls anorexia (top model), or the modern freakshows (farmer looking for wife, love island and what not). It's just season 2 here, so there's still some feeling of novelty. Yet, I have no idea who two out of the four unmasked singers were (one was Franziska Knuppe, who is apparently model, the other one was actress Rebecca Immanuel. Since the premise of the show was/is famous people hiding under the mask, I am either out of touch wrt to who is famous (or couldn't give dayum), or they used a kinda broad definition of fame.

I just did a Costco run and the parking lot is half empty and there’s no line-up at the gas station. My brother and I have been using only my car to do grocery store runs, so I needed the gas. I cannot remember the last time I paid 61.9 cents for a liter of gasoline. Back in 1978 or 79 when we converted to metric the initial price was about 25 cents.

Heck, I never thought I’d ever see gasoline below 90 cents again!

They are practicing social distancing, though. I had to wait in line to get in and they allowed limited numbers in, and there is tape marking 2 meter distances for cash register line-ups and an initial control line-up where someone directs you to a cash register. The early bird line-up was the longest, it’s shorter now.

10 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I just did a Costco run and the parking lot is half empty and there’s no line-up at the gas station. My brother and I have been using only my car to do grocery store runs, so I needed the gas. I cannot remember the last time I paid 61.9 cents for a liter of gasoline. Back in 1978 or 79 when we converted to metric the initial price was about 25 cents.

This reminds me of that glorious day some 6 years ago.

I was driving out of Abilene and went to fill up at an Exxon before the trip. I can only assume some attendant misplaced a decimal when programming prices that morning, because I only paid 19 cents a gallon. Filled up my tank for less than $3.

'Twas amazing.

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

They are practicing social distancing, though. I had to wait in line to get in and they allowed limited numbers in, and there is tape marking 2 meter distances for cash register line-ups and an initial control line-up where someone directs you to a cash register. The early bird line-up was the longest, it’s shorter now.

Canadian Tire in Barrie was 67.9 cents/litre.  No line up at all. And then just a mile or so from home in Aurora, 63 cents.

I was just cleaning up my tools and such now that I am retired and found my old respirator i used when weld noxious metals. It is an N99 respirator. Welding and safety suppliers should have these and the replaceable filters. I used to have a cartridge respirator when I worked with noxious gases but I got rid of that when the cartridges expired and I changed jobs. I have a box of dust masks but they are rated for nuisance dusts only.

1 hour ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Why would I watch the US version? To throw up on my telly when Palin gets unmaksed?

And yes, it's kinda trash, but fun. And it's pretty much the only one of those I watch, my guilty pleasure if you will. I mean, at least I am not watching the show that gets girls anorexia (top model), or the modern freakshows (farmer looking for wife, love island and what not). It's just season 2 here, so there's still some feeling of novelty. Yet, I have no idea who two out of the four unmasked singers were (one was Franziska Knuppe, who is apparently model, the other one was actress Rebecca Immanuel. Since the premise of the show was/is famous people hiding under the mask, I am either out of touch wrt to who is famous (or couldn't give dayum), or they used a kinda broad definition of fame.

Famous in modern times is a pretty loose term, especially given that every other person wants to get famous through IG and now TikTok.

Hell, the most famous family in America before Trump came along were known because the mom pimped out her daughter’s sex tape.

3 hours ago, ljkeane said:

I haven't actually bothered to go myself yet but apparently all the shops near me are basically fine now. I think all the people inclined to panic buy have run out of steam.

3 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

I'm in tesco tight now and they have everything. Only different cells is them limiting how many people in store at a time. 

I expect stock levels will begin returning to normal now that there are more severe restrictions on how often we can go out. And that was surely the point of stockpiling anyway, to be supplied in case you can't get out. 

Same story in the city centre fwiw. There was even a full shelf of pasta in my local sainsburys and this was at 3 in the afternoon. They were limiting the number of customers in the store to five at a time though. Don't know if there are limits on the number of customers in larger stores or not 

I'm a bigger hoarder than I thought.  There are two bags of brussels sprouts in my fridge.  Both are open and both still appear fresh.  They are one of my go to veggie sides, but those are each 2 pound bags.  

4 minutes ago, mcbigski said:

I'm a bigger hoarder than I thought.  There are two bags of brussels sprouts in my fridge.  Both are open and both still appear fresh.  They are one of my go to veggie sides, but those are each 2 pound bags.  

Last summer, I bought a refrigerator that can be filled with groceries one would need for entire life. Right now, there are 5 bags of broccoli in my freezer, 3 of spinach, 4 bags of fries, 4 bags of something called Mexican mix, 3 bags of peas.  I am horrified by all of that :D

The only thing I should be hoarding is Nutella, but hell, I am on a diet.

Yesterday at the store there was toilet paper but no Life cereal at all.

Today I found Life cereal but once again the tp shelves were bare.

I now have 12 tins of tuna which is more than usual.

9 hours ago, mcbigski said:

Now I know you're EVIL!!!!!

I went down into the basement to look at my chest freezer. I was delighted to find a pork roast, a beef roast, a large pack of chicken breasts, a homemade dal, various homemade curries, two roaster chickens, and about 4 loaves of bread. We're set. I tend to buy stuff on sale, put it in the basement and forget it's there.

I managed to buy toilet paper today! People are totally insane. Toilet paper has been sold out in all the shops for 2 weeks now here. I saw an interview with a toilet paper manufacturer who actually said he's not happy about that either, because people will probably stop buying toilet paper for months afterwards, as they have to use up their stockpiles. It's not as if people really use up much more toilet paper per person.

21 minutes ago, Prue said:

I managed to buy toilet paper today! People are totally insane. Toilet paper has been sold out in all the shops for 2 weeks now here. I saw an interview with a toilet paper manufacturer who actually said he's not happy about that either, because people will probably stop buying toilet paper for months afterwards, as they have to use up their stockpiles. It's not as if people really use up much more toilet paper per person.

But they'll use twice as much or even more, won't they, than usual? People are at home all day, instead of the office. And eating to much....

2 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

But they'll use twice as much or even more, won't they, than usual? People are at home all day, instead of the office. And eating to much....

I'd be interested to see any data on how much more toilet paper gets used if you're eating a lot.  This may be way too much information I'd say 95+% of days I have exactly two bowel movements regardless of how much I'm eating.  And due to not having a bathroom at work I only do this at home anyway.  

And if you're using it at home instead of work, then the stuff at your work isn't getting used right now.  

11 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

I'd be interested to see any data on how much more toilet paper gets used if you're eating a lot.  This may be way too much information I'd say 95+% of days I have exactly two bowel movements regardless of how much I'm eating.  And due to not having a bathroom at work I only do this at home anyway.  

And if you're using it at home instead of work, then the stuff at your work isn't getting used right now.  

Ah, but most workplaces don't buy from the grocery store, do they? I guess small businesses do. And if you have ever stood in line to use the washroom at a coffee shop it seems like a lot of people don't just go at home!  :P

Also, women v men pov!

3 hours ago, Prue said:

Went to the local Aldi yesterday. They had toilet paper, flour, and spaghetti. No soap, though.

19 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

Unless it gets stolen by the skeleton crew that still mans the place. Along with the hand sanitiser.  

15 minutes ago, Loge said:

Unless it gets stolen by the skeleton crew that still mans the place.

Shades of Cuba and the Special Period.  Light bulbs, tp, soap, anything in public spaces and hotels got lifted.

3 hours ago, Prue said:

So that's not entirely true. The current estimate is that people do need about 40% more toilet paper for their homes, now that they aren't going out as much to places with public restrooms. https://www.vox.com/the-goods/2020/4/3/21206942/toilet-paper-coronavirus-shortage-supply-chain

The problem is that commercial toilet paper is much lower quality than most home toilet paper, so most people don't want to buy it. There are also issues about setting up new supply chains for getting that toilet paper to consumer retailers. And most manufacturers don't necessarily want to switch all their production over to home toilet paper, because that's a lengthy, expensive process and the margins on toilet paper are already pretty low.

So there's likely to be shortages for a while. On the plus side, for people who are desperate, there's tons of commercial toilet paper available from those suppliers https://www.katom.com/cat/toilet-paper.html . 

13 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Shades of Cuba and the Special Period.  Light bulbs, tp, soap, anything in public spaces and hotels got lifted.

I wonder if there have been cases of people bribing sales staff yet.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0085Y9DTM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

Little Debbie Chocolate Chip Creme Pie, 6 Boxes, 48 Individually Wrapped Cookies, 10.63 oz Box

I didn't want to buy 6 boxes but no other reasonable prices, 12 bucks (plus shipping)...couldn't pass it up, gotta make them last.*

*yeah, right

Archived