Watch, Watched, Watching: Easter Edition

ithanos

15 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Just finished S4 final episode. Had completely forgotten about the boat harassment with ol blue eyes singing. Glad they are all seeing Johnny Sachs for the snake he is.

It’s actually Dean Martin. The bit about freezing his booze to eat it as a popsicle kills me every time. :lol:

56 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

The back half of S4 is so strong. Not only Chris’ intervention, but Tony confronting Ralph about the horse, and the finale where Gandolfini and Falco put on an acting clinic. 

Yeah. We came across a couple of eps that just happened to be on TV late one night and we stayed up watching...this was at the start of S4. Really tempting to watch the whole season.

Some of our neighbours are awful for playing loud music etc and they remind us of that scene in White Caps. 

3 hours ago, Nictarion said:

It’s actually Dean Martin. The bit about freezing his booze to eat it as a popsicle kills me every time. :lol:

I was referring to the final scene, at night when they try to come out and enjoy the deck. The x-ray on amazon said it was Sinatra.

10 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Almost done with The Mist on Netflix.

Odd but fun, I guess. 

ETA: Okay that was a horrifically bad ending. 

The tv show or the movie?

I never watched the show, but I kinda love the movie's end.

6 minutes ago, Fez said:

The tv show or the movie?

I never watched the show, but I kinda love the movie's end.

The movies' ending is great, and I'm a big fan of Tom Jane.

The T.V. show, OTOH, has some really interesting thread points, and is a lot more realistic and frankly human, but the ending is just awful. The most charitable interpretation is that they were setting up for another season.

Like imagine if the movie was a lot better, but then abruptly ended in the second act as a huge teaser was just shown, and then that's it. 

This week I was gifted with a sub to Britbox.  I shall be happily working my way through quite a few older UK television series for a while, though I started with watching the latest (2019), 21st! season of Midsomer Murders -- it has only 4 episodes, am only half way through them.  It may well be time to retire this series. The charm, light touch and tone of Nettles-Barnaby, Wymark-Joyce and Jason Hughes-Ben Jones has long gone.  Plus the new way of shooting a lot of series with the idea they'll be mostly watched on a phone screen, is just not fun -- huge talking heads that go on and on. Plus the writing just isn't as good either.  This wasn't what charmed one about MS.  Still, watching a new season of MS while making dinner, after a very long walk in the sunshine provided the most semblance of normality from Before I've experienced since lock down.  It was a joy.

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

This week I was gifted with a sub to Britbox.  I shall be happily working my way through quite a few older UK television series for a while, though I started with watching the latest (2019), 21st! season of Midsomer Murders -- it has only 4 episodes, am only half way through them.  It may well be time to retire this series. The charm, light touch and tone of Nettles-Barnaby, Wymark-Joyce and Jason Hughes-Ben Jones has long gone.  Plus the new way of shooting a lot of series with the idea they'll be mostly watched on a phone screen, is just not fun -- huge talking heads that go on and on. Plus the writing just isn't as good either.  This wasn't what charmed one about MS.  Still, watching a new season of MS while making dinner, after a very long walk in the sunshine provided the most semblance of normality from Before I've experienced since lock down.  It was a joy.

It was never the same after Nettles left, Dudgeon's character doesn't have the same warmth or humor, although the dog was a nice touch and the wife is a better character.  

So, Nick Cage as Joe Exotic. I have not yet seen the Tiger King documentary and did not intend to. Going to now though, it seems required.

Watching Billions and Penny Dreadful: City of Angels on Showtime. Got to catch up on City on a Hill as well. Alternating on Netflix between Ryan Murphy's Hollywood and a Walking Dead ten season re-watch.

Getting back to my Miyazaki watch-through after Community interrupted it, I decided to take a detour and watch Whisper of the Heart, which he did not direct but which he wrote as an adaptation of a manga, and I believe he designed the storyboards. It'a sweet romantic story about junior high school students, set in contemporary Tokyo, and it really captures what feels like an authentic slice of life there. Also, "Country Roads" features very heavily, as the main character (Shizuku) keeps writing different Japanese lyrics to the tune for her classmates. There's nothing fantastical in it, per se, but there is an imaginative moment in the back half that unleashes that full-on Studio Ghibli fantasy design that was really breathtaking. Next up, I've changed my mind, I think, and will re-watch Princess Mononoke.

Also continuing watching What We Do In the Shadows. A couple episodes behind -- just watched the Superb Owl party episode, and that remains good fun, although I did prefer the first two episodes a little bit.

2 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

damn.... Dead to Me is hilarious. 

Loved season one, got a notification season two dropped today. I cancelled my Netflix subscription though so I’ll need to wait a while until a few more shows i want to see are available.

On 5/6/2020 at 8:25 PM, Mark Antony said:

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Rick and Morty :P

So you mean I can't watch it anymore? :crying:

On 5/6/2020 at 8:25 PM, Mark Antony said:

I watched Nice Guys again last night. Ryan Gosling in the movie makes me laugh at everything he does. Wish it was more popular so it got a sequel 

Indeed a tragedy that we never got another installment. Still weird that it didn't make a lot of money. Two of the biggest actors, a famous director and the fact that it was actually good fun. It  should have been a shoe-in.

Oh, forgot to mention I did watch the Middleditch & Schwartz three-part long-form improv special on Netflix. I've enjoyed more short-form improv of the Whose Line Is It Anyway? variety, and after having listened to them as guests on the Conan O'Brien Needs a Friend podcast awhile back I figured I'd give it a try. It was modestly amusing, with some inspired moments of madness (especially in the third and final part).

16 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

damn.... Dead to Me is hilarious. 

I started season 2 and am a few episodes into it...  but this might be one of the rare shows I'll drop.  It's just not doing much for me.  It didn't in season one either, but for some reason I watched the whole of it.  :dunno:

8 hours ago, Veltigar said:

Indeed a tragedy that we never got another installment. Still weird that it didn't make a lot of money. Two of the biggest actors, a famous director and the fact that it was actually good fun. It  should have been a shoe-in.

Maybe one of the streaming services will pick up the unproduced TV show.

In September 2017, it was reported that Fox had given a script commitment to a contemporary female-led television version entitled The Nice Girls, to be produced by Silver Pictures Television with a script by Michael Diliberti

But yeah probably not. 

Archived