Watch, Watched, Watching: My Queen's Gambit brings all the boys to the yard

Veltigar

27 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Rewatching Timker Tailor Soldier Spy.

Agreed. But I really need to watch the Alec Guinness adaptation at some point. Not available on anything streaming in Sweden, near as I can tell. Do you lucky folk get to stream it whenever you want on Iplayer, I wonder?

11 minutes ago, Ran said:

Agreed. But I really need to watch the Alec Guiness adaptation at some point. Not available on anything streaming in Sweden, near as I can tell. Do you lucky folk get to stream it whenever you want on Iplayer, I wonder?

Not sure. I may still have it on dvd. Will need to check.

Last I heard Smiley’s People (a sequel) had been greenlit, but no idea of it will happen.

I used to have the BBC adaptation of it on dvd

27 minutes ago, Ran said:

Agreed. But I really need to watch the Alec Guinness adaptation at some point. Not available on anything streaming in Sweden, near as I can tell. Do you lucky folk get to stream it whenever you want on Iplayer, I wonder?

I've only seen the film but I've also thought about watching the Alec Guinness version at some point. Looking online now it looks like it is only included in the Britbox streaming service.

1 hour ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Rewatching Timker Tailor Soldier Spy.

Magnificent film, excelletn adaptation

It was good, but the Alec Guinness version still rules.  I've watched it several times, but currently it's not available on any streaming service.  The last time I saw it was via the Netflix dvd service back the year this recent one was produced.

Alas, it's not available on Britbox US.

Been watching Bosch on Amazon Prime. I was vaguely aware of it, but honestly knew absolutely nothing going in, other than one friend off-handedly mentioning it a couple years ago. 

I don't often enjoy police procedurals, but I do like a good slow burning whodunit. It has a sort of retro cop-noir pastiche going, right? Also, a top-flight theme song, as far as I'm concerned. I'm mostly through season two, which has been just as good as the first. Coincidentally, I started it the day after I was re-watching a couple episodes of the second season of The Mandalorian, and laughed when I realized I'd just seen the actor briefly the night before.

3 hours ago, Argonath Diver said:

Been watching Bosch on Amazon Prime. I was vaguely aware of it, but honestly knew absolutely nothing going in, other than one friend off-handedly mentioning it a couple years ago. 

I don't often enjoy police procedurals, but I do like a good slow burning whodunit. It has a sort of retro cop-noir pastiche going, right? Also, a top-flight theme song, as far as I'm concerned. I'm mostly through season two, which has been just as good as the first. Coincidentally, I started it the day after I was re-watching a couple episodes of the second season of The Mandalorian, and laughed when I realized I'd just seen the actor briefly the night before.

It is based on a book series that started in the early 90s which might explain the retro vibe even if the TV series it is set in the present day.

Bosch was one of my favorite of (relatively) recent original streaming television series.  I (and the friend with whom I watched it) loved it so much, for all kinds of reasons.  Neither of us ever read the books though, and never will.  They aren't the same as the series, and the series is what we fell in love with, particularly the look of the series' LA.  The LA look was the lead character

Watched John Maclean's debut feature film, Slow West, a somewhat odd Western starring Michael Fassbender, Ben Mendelsohn, Kodi Smit-McKee, and others (including a small part by Rory McCann). The title is both apt and not , because it manages its slow, meditative, somewhat-hallucinatory march across the West all in 80 minutes or so. It's an odd little film, and reminds me of nothing less than a feature-length version of one of the Ballad of Buster Scruggs yarns from the Coen Brothers (who may well have taken inspiration from this film). 

2 hours ago, Zorral said:

Bosch was one of my favorite of (relatively) recent original streaming television series.  I (and the friend with whom I watched it) loved it so much, for all kinds of reasons.  Neither of us ever read the books though, and never will.  They aren't the same as the series, and the series is what we fell in love with, particularly the look of the series' LA.  The LA look was the lead character

Interesting point. Los Angeles, New York, and Chicago are far and away the most commonly depicted urban centers in the country (makes sense, of course). Growing up in a St Louis suburb, I didn't get to experience the "real" feeling of any of those cities, other than visiting relatives, though I saw them portrayed many times. I've now lived in two of those three places. Now that I spent so much time in New York, I absolutely love seeing its depictions in fictional film and television. There's of course loads of times where a New Yorker would say "Okay, it's actually nothing like that in reality, you know." But I very often see something and think, "Yep, that is 100% on the nose." I'll never get tired of that, even though I'm back in the sleepy midwest. You're out there, you understand what I mean of course.

I have only been to LA for one weekend, but I definitely had moments of fish-out-of-water amazement to see the reality vs my perception through media. My cousin and wife whom I stayed with took me to a trendy bar that was absolutely nothing like the places I worked for most of my career in Chicago or New York. I was hilariously less tan than everyone. I feel pretty confident in my own looks, sure, but jeez was the whole bar full of beautiful and well-dressed people of both sexes. I had a couple brief bar-chat conversations, mentioned visiting from NYC, and one person much to my delight asked me if I was in town for a shoot. I'm an... ACTOR! (No, sorry miss, just a bartender on vacation). 

You're absolutely right that the LA Vibe, as it were, is a great part of the show. Just the last episode had me thinking "I wonder if I could actually enjoy a life in LA." Something that crosses my mind exceedingly rarely. Then again, that's likely because it's currently 15 degrees here, and dropping below zero tonight, and damn would it be nice if I lived somewhere that I only ever would wear a jacket for work or style rather than literal survival. 

Glad to hear Bosch continues to be strong. The most recent episode I am on was absolutely terrific, and I want to cancel plans tonight to binge the rest of the season.

Watching Knocked up for the upteenth time. It’s a movie I’ll always like, it really hit a few notes when I first saw it.

This time though I’m really noticing how unpolished it is. So much of the timing is off, the direction is disjointed and many of the lines needed a few more takes. Feel like Apatow and everyone involved has figured it out a lot since then ( although I still think this is one of their best)

29 minutes ago, Argonath Diver said:

You're absolutely right that the LA Vibe, as it were, is a great part of the show. Just the last episode had me thinking "I wonder if I could actually enjoy a life in LA." Something that crosses my mind exceedingly rarely. Then again, that's likely because it's currently 15 degrees here, and dropping below zero tonight, and damn would it be nice if I lived somewhere that I only ever would wear a jacket for work or style rather than literal survival.

I don't think I'd enjoy living in LA but living in a house on stilts overlooking LA looks pretty cool. It'd probably be less fun when the big one hits though.

Watched first episode of Adam Curtis’ new documentary on the BBC. I don’t know how I feel about him these days, back in the day I found his output incredibly important and mind blowing.

These days I guess I give his stuff a bit more of a critical eye. It has become clear that he is trying to create a more abstract sense of what he views as the truth, rather than tell a story in a straight line.

It can put a strain on the viewer just how much he attempts to pull together completely disparate pieces to fit his needs, and sometimes his style is beyond parody.

It is somewhat ironic that he talks about conspiracy theories when I think most conspiracy theory documentaries these days tend to borrow his style quite heavily,

For reasons, this seems hilarious -- Amazon Prime just put up the French 2004 film of Arsène Lupin, in the wake of the international popularity of the French Netflix Lupin!  Though I'm happy to watch it, burned out as I am by the series and films filled with unrelenting violence upon children, women and other powerless figures, no matter how good the productions can be.  Need some relief.  This is 101 minutes, so it fills viewing time satisfactorily. This is 101 minutes, so it fills viewing time satisfactorily, while providing some much appreciated change of landscapes -- Normandy The lead actor reminds me, at least, quite a bit of Matt Bomer in the series, White Collar (2009-14).

Additionally interesting to me at least is It’s interesting that in French, the definition of “lupin”, though the name of the flower, which in English is lupine, is:

1) "borrowed from Old French lupin, from Latin lupīnus (“pertaining to the wolf”). The reason for association of the plant with the wolf is unclear. It has been linked to an assumed depletion of nutrients in the soil.
2) (botany) Any member of the genus Lupinus in the family Fabaceae. 
A lupin bean, a yellow legume seed of a Lupinus plant (usually Lupinus luteus), used as feed for sheep and cattle and commonly eaten in the Mediterranean area and in Latin America although toxic if prepared improperly."

Whenever I see the word "Lupin" I hear quietly in the back of my head ...

"Dennis Moore, Dennis Moore,
Dum dum dum the night.
Dennis Moore, Dennis Moore,
Dum de dum dum plight.
He steals dum dum dum
And dum dum dum dee
Dennis dum, Dennis dee, dum dum dum."

44 minutes ago, Week said:

Whenever I see the word "Lupin" I hear quietly in the back of my head ...

"Dennis Moore, Dennis Moore,
Dum dum dum the night.
Dennis Moore, Dennis Moore,
Dum de dum dum plight.
He steals dum dum dum
And dum dum dum dee
Dennis dum, Dennis dee, dum dum dum."

Quite appropriately too; Monty Python knows.  :cheers:

~~~~~~~~~

Another topic, I was watching a sort of documentary re-enactment of the 1453 siege and fall of Constantinople to the the Ottomans on Netflix the other night. This is an ongoing historical interest along with the ongoing historical interest in the many associated subjects such as the Venetian Republic, the Mongols and Mamluks and Turks and the bubonic plague and so on. 

I couldn't watch after a certain point. It was like watching the siege and invasion of the Capitol.

Archived