Watch, Watched, Watching: My Queen's Gambit brings all the boys to the yard

Veltigar

11 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

My wife and I are watching this as well, we're halfway through season 4.  It is a show that takes some time to find its footing.  Throughout season 1, three of the four family members are completely insufferable, which made it very hard to watch.  In later seasons only Moira is a chore to watch, and the supporting cast gets more screen time. 

I never really noticed a massive difference in quality throughout the seasons. Think i liked it straight away, realising it was far better than I had assumed. The Levies are very talented and so I gave it a chance.

I think towards the end it did go overly schmaltzy at times I'm not sure many of the relationships kind of earned the emotion the show tried to pull from the audience. 

People can have different opinions and they are all valid blah blah blah but @Veltigar disliking Spiderman 2 tells me all I need to know about him. I hear he hates puppies too!

Edit: Expanding a bit so this isn't just a joke post, I never really followed comics and growing up I had a vague understanding of the superhero genre through the old Christopher Reeve superman movies (thank you Channel 5? The Bounty in the celebrations box of TV channels, whoever thought I would be grateful for Channel 5?)  but outside of that not much. However I did see Spiderman 1 and 2 and watched them repeatedly on DVD. I just loved them so much, they were everything they needed to be. Were they deep, meaningful and focused on realism? No. Were they trying to be? No. And if you went into them expecting that then its unsurprising you didn't enjoy them. But for me there was enough action, slapstick, emotion and fun to deliver the perfect movies for me.

We don't talk about Spiderman 3...

3 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

However I did see Spiderman 1 and 2 and watched them repeatedly on DVD. I just loved them so much, they were everything they needed to be.

Agreed on this. Raimi's first two Spider-Man films are terrific fun. Lots of charm, lots of fun action that's well-staged, and occasionally some genuinely strong performances (looking at you, Alfred Molina) while Maguire was great as the callow Peter Parker. 

9 minutes ago, Ran said:

Maguire was great as the callow Peter Parker. 

Lots of superhero films struggle with casting an actor who can play both elements of a Superhero.  Maguire was a great Peter Parker, although his Spiderman could be hit or miss. 

32 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

So another 'R' word? Is there a reason for this?

I think it's just the title convention they've decided to stick with. Although it could also be limiting for future films.

• The Matrix Renovations
  • The Matrix Resuscitations
  • The Matrix Relaxations

Of course they can just change it up at any time and point to the Animatrix as a precedent for that.

JFC, Trickster was cancelled and the reasons don't quite make sense.  Showrunner made false claims about indigenous heritage, but when that turned out not to be true she resigned the show, hoping to save it.  But CBC cancelled it anyway, inexplicably.  How hard is it to find another person to executive produce it?  It was a damn good show too.

6 hours ago, Werthead said:

The Matrix 4 has it's actual title, the blindingly obvious The Matrix Resurrections.

I was hoping for 'The Matrix: Clean Install'

I watched 'Blade Runner' the other night for the first time in a while. I had forgotten how heavily the Matrix aesthetic references the whole end scene, where Roy is chasing Deckard around that ruined building in the rain. Grotty tile and beads of running water, etc...

Archived