MCUniverse: Into the Spider-Thread

SpaceChampion

I love that Killmonger walks around with a name-tag that says KILLMONGER on it. 

Sucks they couldn't get James Spader back to do ultron! The guy imitating Downey Jr. seems to be doing a good job but Ultron in the Vision body sounds wrong. 

....Also at like 1:38 is that Steve Rogers' head in a jar cheerfully greeting Cater after she gets defrosted?

10 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

trailer implies it has more of an in-universe narrative to it.

Don't see how? It's just the usual framing for What-Ifs and the Watchers. Loki may well set it up but I can't imagine it linking in in any way.

5 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Don't see how? It's just the usual framing for What-Ifs and the Watchers. Loki may well set it up but I can't imagine it linking in in any way.

I didn’t realise it’d have any framing at all, just a bunch of episodes. And I didn’t know the Watchers were involved.

Loki spoilers:

Spoiler

I guess ending the TVA will pave the way for all these timelines to exist without interference, I could imagine there’ll be a nod to it at the start.

So anyone planning on watching Black Widow?

Watched it yesterday and enjoyed it. A bit too many too quick fights for my taste, but ovarall it was precisely what I've been expecting. Florence Pugh is great in it, as well as David Harbour and Rachel Weisz. Generally the best bits are when the whole dysfuncional family is together on screen.

Of course inability to tie any of it into broader MCU was always going to be an issue, but I guess there was no way around it.

1 hour ago, DaveSumm said:

I didn’t realise it’d have any framing at all, just a bunch of episodes. And I didn’t know the Watchers were involved.

Loki spoilers:

Hide contents

I guess ending the TVA will pave the way for all these timelines to exist without interference, I could imagine there’ll be a nod to it at the start.

So anyone planning on watching Black Widow?

My son and I are going after lunch.

Spoiler free Black Widow review but still spoilered in case you don’t want to read anything:

Spoiler

Meh? There’s nothing specifically wrong with it, but it just doesn’t do the necessary exposition to get you to care about any of it. It was easily the most disinterested I’ve been watching an MCU film. Not bored, it still had plenty of action where it was supposed to be. But it just never amounts to anything, it tries a few different ideas and does none of them justice. Very disposable, sadly.

Yea, I was not a fan of any of the comedy in Black Widow. This is a strange Marvel film for me, because I love Natasha, but this movie probably has the worst villains in all of the MCU, IMO. 

Taskmaster in particular feels beyond wasted and underused.

29 minutes ago, sifth said:

Yea, I was not a fan of any of the comedy in Black Widow. This is a strange Marvel film for me, because I love Natasha, but this movie probably has the worst villains in all of the MCU, IMO. 

Taskmaster in particular feels beyond wasted and underused.

Agreed.

Felt to me more like an intro to Natasha's sister, which seemed borne out in the credit sequence.  

8 minutes ago, JEORDHl said:

Felt to me more like an intro to Natasha's sister, which seemed borne out in the credit sequence.  

I mean, I haven't seen it yet, but seemed pretty clear when she was cast it was at least partially a vehicle to introduce Florence Pugh as the new Black Widow.

Definitely, but got to wonder if they're going at an off angle to that, or at least so I thought until the end credits. Not sure now, but I'll shut up.

The spy family dynamic was pretty good and there were definitely some funny parts. Overall, a lackluster send off for Scarlet imo.

6 minutes ago, JEORDHl said:

The spy family dynamic was pretty good and there were definitely some funny parts. Overall, a lackluster send off for Scarlet imo.

That's a shame. I will probably see it in theaters at some point but one of my very few nitpicks of Endgame was Tony's funeral getting all of the focus and Natasha getting the short end of the stick. They could have just had some massive statues outside of the Avengers HQ of Natasha, Tony and Vision or something but no... Was hoping this movie would be a proper send-off.

11 minutes ago, JEORDHl said:

Yeah based on the reviews it does not appear this will be the movie to get me back to the theaters.

4 minutes ago, DMC said:

Yeah based on the reviews it does not appear this will be the movie to get me back to the theaters.

I'll be religiously saving my post-pan theater virginity for Dune, I think. 

The Black Widow movie isn't bad. It's just not great or whatever. :/

Tend to agree.  It was a fine movie.  Just couldn’t decide what it wanted to be.  Hinted at a dark past while making no effort to be dark.  Had some humor without being a comedy.  There was even a scene of Nat watching Moonraker and quoting it…. But it wasn’t a whimsical spy romp either.  :dunno: 

Dont misunderstand me.  I liked it.  There just wasn’t much to it.  The main villain felt like a KMart version of Hydra somehow.  Like he was the GoBots to the CA: Winter Soldier’s Transformers.

It also seemed like it missed its opportunity in a few ways.  It would have been much better had it come out during the phase between Civil War and Infinity War.  Honestly, it has far more relevance to that part of the MCU than GotG2 did. (In my book, that’s the most forgettable/irrelevant movie in the entire series.). Then the fact that it didn’t have a chance to come out on schedule due to the pandemic really knocked things out of whack to the point that it even dulled the surprise of the post credits stinger.

In the end, we aren’t talking famously bad superhero movie here like the later FoX-Men or anything like that.  It was just a paint by numbers MCU.  And that’s still a well produced movie.  Just didn’t have any real ambition.

Spoiler

On that post credits tease…

So JLD is assembling a team to include the new Widow and US Agent their first target is… Hawkeye?!!?

Are they using a post credits scene to set up a Disney+ show???

Like I said above.  Shame that the release schedule right as the pandemic was shutting things down forced a shuffle.  Sitting in a theater and going “Oh shit!  That’s Elaine!” would have really given some more weight.

Archived