Watch Watched Watching: Indie Art Cinema Wave #__?

TheLastWolf

Some here might like this for a different kind of watching experience.  Out of Lagos and Nigeria, the show's got all the long, traditional conflicts, such as Yoruba vs Igbo, with their own languages, traditions, culture and religions.  Complicating things further we have a particularly Nigerian version of protestant evangelical Christianity (a prosperity church, you betcha, with all the prosperity going to the head minister, natch), and so much more.  Plus all the languages, though mostly English.  All this can be followed along with subtitles provided, and also closed captioning if one finds the occasions when pidgin is used (which people who know each other long and respect and like each other do -- another local variant of code switching).  It's very colorful, intense and local. King of Boys: Return of the King, Netflix.  O, yes, the 'King' is a woman.  She's addressed as "Oba" which is not a female gendered title in Yoruba.  If one knows this right at the start, this provides a whole lot of information, right there.

Francis Coppola, A Gambling Maverick Moviemaker Who Won Big, Betting On Star Cast For Epic ‘Megalopolis’

https://deadline.com/2021/08/francis-coppola-megalopolis-epic-financing-oscar-isaac-forest-whitaker-cate-blanchett-james-caan-1234824846/

While Coppola set his script in a contemporary city and explores timely themes, the sprawling tale has its origins in ancient Rome.

“The concept of the film is a Roman epic, in the traditional Cecile B. DeMille or Ben-Hur way, but told as a modern counterpart focusing on America,” he said. “It’s based on The Catiline Conspiracy, which comes to us from ancient Rome. This was a famous duel between a patrician, Catiline, and that part will be played by Oscar Isaac, and the famous Cicero, who will be Forest Whitaker. He is now the beleaguered mayor of New York, during a financial crisis, close to the one that Mayor Dinkins had. This story takes place in a new Rome, a Roman epic sent in modern times. The time set is not a specific year in modern New York, it’s an impression of modern New York, which I call New Rome.”

Coppola realizes these serious themes leave him swimming against the tide in an industry fixated with franchises, high concepts and familiar formulas. But he’s been a maverick his whole life and would like to stake himself this one more time, hoping to prevail again.

“This film I want to make, I believe is an exciting change from the kinds of movies being offered to the public,” Coppola said. “Mainly because it puts forward a fundamental message that it’s time for us to consider that the society we live in isn’t the only alternative available to us. And that a utopia isn’t so much a little experimental place in the country; a utopia is a discussion of people asking the right questions on just that subject, and if the society we’re living in is the only alternative or, if for the sake of young people, there are better choices that should be discussed. Hopefully that is the influence I dream of this movie having. And for that reason I am willing and capable of investing at a high number, to make it come true. I’m putting together the means of doing that.

10 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

Francis Coppola, A Gambling Maverick Moviemaker Who Won Big, Betting On Star Cast For Epic ‘Megalopolis’

Huh, so he's finally going ahead with it.  Seems like he's been working on that for..I can't even remember how long.

Watched Staircase on Netflix over the past couple of weekends. Not what I was expecting at all. We had to keep pausing it to discuss what was happening. Would recommend if you want to get stuck into a mysterious docudrama thing. 

10 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

https://deadline.com/2021/08/francis-coppola-megalopolis-epic-financing-oscar-isaac-forest-whitaker-cate-blanchett-james-caan-1234824846/

While Coppola set his script in a contemporary city and explores timely themes, the sprawling tale has its origins in ancient Rome.

Among the actors he's in talks with is Jon Voight. :ack:

14 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

Return of the king. Hype

I'm seeing Shang-Chi tonight in the theatre....  Glad to to see there are 4 seats between anybody else.  Had to get the 3D showing as the regular theatre was sold out. 

Trying to remember that last time I was in a theatre ....  might have been July 2019, for Far From Home.

Just now, Nictarion said:

I watched the latest episode of the Netflix documentary series Untold (Crimes and Penalties). This one is about a mobster that bought his 17 year old son a minor league hockey team, and made him president and GM. It’s wild stuff. 

I came for the Malice in the Palace episode, but this one caught my attention as well. Will check it out over the holiday weekend. 

Strapping myself in for Pig, it's $7.99 to rent on demand now. 

49 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I came for the Malice in the Palace episode, but this one caught my attention as well. Will check it out over the holiday weekend. 

Strapping myself in for Pig, it's $7.99 to rent on demand now. 

I really enjoyed watching Pig. Cage's best work since... the Spider-verse?

Lined up The Green Knight for tonight. Heard it can be a trip when viewed under the right conditions. I don't smoke so a titration of ethanol in some vessel with other botanicals it is.

1 hour ago, ithanos said:

I really enjoyed watching Pig. Cage's best work since... the Spider-verse?

I really enjoyed it and think Cage was great. If you go into it with an open mind I think most people will like it. 

On 8/29/2021 at 8:41 AM, polishgenius said:

By most accounts Depp was good in both Waiting for the Barbarians and Minamata, his last two films, but since no-one went to see them and they got mixed reviews outside the performances, they're not gonna go down as milestones in his career. Still, that sort of thing is probably the best thing for him as far as that goes, go chill in the indie and arthouse scene doing more interesting things for a while.

In the last 20 years I'd say Rango was his last good film, in 2011, but he didn't really have to do much as far as his performance went. He was good in Public Enemies and excellent in The Libertine.

It doesn't seem he's going to get the opportunity to take many big leads until and unless he can prove he didn't beat up Amber Heard, which since that isn't very likely to happen, he'll have to wait it out a few years until he can pretend  (or genuinely say, who the fuck knows) that he's a changed man and be accepted by Hollywood again.

I thought everyone knew by now that Heard was the abusive one and lied about a bunch of things. There's been plenty of evidence even released online, including tapes she actually provided.

But I guess for Hollywood and a lot of people, it doesn't count unless Depp wins a lawsuit against Rupert Murdoch's media... as it that would ever happen, so of course it did not.

3 hours ago, Annara Snow said:

I thought everyone knew by now that Heard was the abusive one and lied about a bunch of things. There's been plenty of evidence even released online, including tapes she actually provided.

He offered loads of evidence that Heard was abusive and a terrible person, but that wasn't what was under consideration in the trial. He needed to persuade the judge that he hadn't hit her and he failed to do that in 12 of 14 incidents. Her being dreadful is not evidence that he didn't do anything. 

3 hours ago, Annara Snow said:

it doesn't count unless Depp wins a lawsuit against Rupert Murdoch's media... as it that would ever happen,

People win lawsuits against Murdoch media, where have you gotten the impression they don't? And this was in the UK, where defamation lawsuits are much more favourable to the suing party in terms of burden of proof. 

43 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

He offered loads of evidence that Heard was abusive and a terrible person, but that wasn't what was under consideration in the trial. He needed to persuade the judge that he hadn't hit her and he failed to do that in 12 of 14 incidents. Her being dreadful is not evidence that he didn't do anything. 

People win lawsuits against Murdoch media, where have you gotten the impression they don't? And this was in the UK, where defamation lawsuits are much more favourable to the suing party in terms of burden of proof. 

The fact that you seem to think Deep is the one who needs to prove beyond any reasonable doubt that he never hit Amber Heard says all about how messed up this whole case and its media treatment is, and just supposedly easy it is to win a libel suit against RM's tabloids. 

1 hour ago, Annara Snow said:

The fact that you seem to think Deep is the one who needs to prove beyond any reasonable doubt

He doesn't. That's the whole damn point. The burden of proof was much higher on the Sun to prove that what they said wasn't a lie, and they managed to persuade the judge that it was true. It's not beyond any reasonable doubt, because the standard in more criminal cases is 'more likely than not' I believe, but either way, there was more burden of proof on them than him and he lost.

I'm not saying that I know for sure he did it, but honestly all this movement to declare him definitely innocent and the victim is either pretending to more knowledge of the facts than any of us can possibly have, or just wishful thinking to protect Captain Jack. 

6 hours ago, Annara Snow said:

But I guess for Hollywood and a lot of people, it doesn't count unless Depp wins a lawsuit against Rupert Murdoch's media... as it that would ever happen, so of course it did not.

The blame here lies with the judge, not with The Sun.  I was surprised that the judge found the incidents of abuse to be credible, since I also think that Amber Heard was the abuser/gaslighter in that relationship.  But, this is the risk that Depp took when he sued.  

5 hours ago, polishgenius said:

He doesn't. That's the whole damn point. The burden of proof was much higher on the Sun to prove that what they said wasn't a lie, and they managed to persuade the judge that it was true. It's not beyond any reasonable doubt, because the standard in more criminal cases is 'more likely than not' I believe, but either way, there was more burden of proof on them than him and he lost.

I'm not saying that I know for sure he did it, but honestly all this movement to declare him definitely innocent and the victim is either pretending to more knowledge of the facts than any of us can possibly have, or just wishful thinking to protect Captain Jack. 

1) I can't even begin to comment on the phrase "movement to declare him definitely innocent", the fact you used it says it all. Sure, if you want it that way, no one in the world can ever be declared "definitely innocent" of anything unless it is physically impossible for them to have committed some crime.

2) You do realize that we're talking about the judgment of the public opinion/media re: Depp, not courts, right? You must be aware of it, since you have to know that talking about the burden of proof being on proving one's definite innocence might only make any kind of sense if we're talking about the judgment of the public opinion. But then you are seriously suggesting that I should withhold my judgment based on publicly available evidence because... reasons? Because everyone else has been withholding their opinion, including media that proclaimed Depp a wife-beater?

3) You swung widely and missed. FYI I've never been a big Depp fan and haven't even watched the Pirates of the Carribean movies. But at some point, after this case has been talked about so much in public, I listened to those publicly available recordings and look at the other things and made my opinion.

4) And I find it particularly interesting here that there's no mention of Heard needing to apologize or that her career should suffer or anything, in spite of there being actual evidence (her admission) that she hit Depp and that she cut his finger, and that he had also hit her previous partner in public.

1 minute ago, Annara Snow said:

4) And I find it particularly interesting here that there's no mention of Heard needing to apologize or that her career should suffer or anything,

Why? We weren't talking about Heard. It wasn't Heard's career being discussed. I find it particularly interesting that you'd use such dishonest argument tactics to try to 'win' your point across though. 

16 hours ago, Nictarion said:

I watched the latest episode of the Netflix documentary series Untold (Crime & Penalties). This one is about a mobster that bought his 17 year old son a minor league hockey team, and made him president and GM. It’s wild stuff. 

I watched it today too. Pretty wild. The son was actually a decent GM! Better than a lot of assholes we can name in professional sports. 

Archived