Football: Make us dream, Paulo

Raja

The trouble with Liverpool's start is all the draws this early in the season. Two points dropped every time. This feels like the 2018/19 (?) year where they almost went unbeaten entire season but dropped a ton of points due to all the draws.

I am not too worried about midfield issues yet because we have enough attacking players for a formation switch to 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-2 to allow more forwards in the pitch (Bobby and Minamino can fit 10 role quite well). But if the current lot of injured players aren't back by AFCON, we are going to be screwed.

On the other hand, the universe does seem to be targeting the midfield with injuries this season after last year's CB injury fiasco.

1 minute ago, Consigliere said:

This is so disappointing. United's board are such fucking clowns.

Not disagreeing about the board, but I'm not sure Conte is the best option out there- you've got to figure that, given his track record, he's probably going to stay at whichever club he goes to for the rest of this season and the whole of the next before he has a falling out and leaves, which wouldn't leave him all that much time to make a success of it, especially given that there are already three strong teams.

I don't think he's a guarantee of success, but he is a guarantee of further disruption in the not too distant future.

I admire Spurs' commitment to keeping us all entertained. It's more of a soap opera than a club. 

I do wonder what the board expected from Nuno, exactly. No, he wasn't really up to the job. But the board knew that when they appointed him, or should have. If they thought he was going to have them competitive at the top end of the league after 10 matches, that seems unreasonable. 

26 minutes ago, Darryk said:

Conte probably using us to try get Man United to make a move.

Doubt it. Some of the Manchester journos reported that United's board don't really want to deal with Conte. When Solskjaer inevitably gets sacked, the ass clowns will probably end up paying Leicester a world record compensation for Rodgers.

I feel like I'm alone in thinking that Conte is really not that great, and the circle jerk everyone has over him is a bit over the top. I'm pretty sure if he does end up at Spurs he will be gone in under 2 years, after screaming that he can't get the players he wants from one of the least generous chairmen on the planet. 

6 minutes ago, The Winged Shadow said:

Would United fans prefer someone like Zidane (who isn't fully batshit)?

Zidane doesn't get into a public pissing contest with his board but has shown twice already at Real Madrid that he'll walk if he doesn't get what he wants. Plus, Zidane apparently doesn't speak any english which might be a problem for United's board. That's assuming Zidane even wants the United job - he's probably waiting for the PSG of France NT job.

7 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I feel like I'm alone in thinking that Conte is really not that great, and the circle jerk everyone has over him is a bit over the top. I'm pretty sure if he does end up at Spurs he will be gone in under 2 years, after screaming that he can't get the players he wants from one of the least generous chairmen on the planet. 

Conte's record in European competition is rather poor and is a black mark against him but his record in league play is damn good. He comes with baggage but is also among the best coaches in the world. I wouldn't be surprised if Conte gets Spurs into the top 4.

The other factor in Conte's favour, and a reason that he's being linked with so many high profile vacancies just now, is that most of the coaches that are better than him (and there are a fair few) are securely in work right now with clubs they're unlikely to leave. Zidane is the exception but there are a few question marks over Zidane even aside from having no English, which I'm sure he would be able to address for the right job: his second spell at Real Madrid wasn't stellar, even accounting for the various issues he encountered. 

23 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

It will 100% end like this, what is uncertain is will he have some success during his contract. 

Why would anyone take over at Spurs? Transfer budget is not likely to be significant, even if the star player who has vanished into thin air after being kept at the club against his will does get sold, the rest of the squad is not bad but seems to have forgotten how to play football, club plays in the least attractive of European competitions and is not likely to move to CL next season (likely even longer)... It's a pretty bleak picture and one not likely to attract top talent.

Sure, money is a big factor but it's not as if top level managers can't get great money elsewhere with less hassle. Also, there's no doubt that much more money is available at Newcastle.

Archived