Football: Red Card for the Roman Empire

A Horse Named Stranger

I've mostly felt pity for Newcastle fans for a long time. During the Keegan years I held a lot of affection for them. Them buying Shearer was one of those incredibly exciting moments that got me hooked. Ever since Ashley has been around though they've been a nothing team, just a grotty example of how an owner can really hold his fans hostage and suck out all the joy from football.

Now.. I don't know how to feel about them. I hate the insane amount of money they now have and who owns them, but there is something quite Football Managery about the way they've gone about their recent business. They've bought sensible signings, known prem faces.. the sort of thing you'd do in your opening season. 

19 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

Did anyone other than Newcastle fans really feel that strongly about them before the takeover?

To be fair one of the most heartwarming examples of football unity in recent memory is when Shearer was in charge as they went down and when sky did their final-day post-whistle cut round the grounds, 19 of 20 sets of fans were joined in song, belting out 'cheer up Alan Shearer'. So people do care.

4 hours ago, MercenaryChef said:

literally one fucking time. 

and this forum has been decidedly anti-toon since well before that incident.

First of all, I don't and never have held that horse-punching incident against Newcastle fans in general. For me, it's more in "a funny story on how people can get crazy over football" category than anything else.

Second, I would have to take your word for forum being anti-toon since I haven't seen it. My memory may be faulty, but I remember everyone being sorry when Newcastle got relegated in recent years. It's a huge club and PL is better for having it. That being said, it is true that not many people here claim it as their favourite club but that's not anti-toon.

I'm closer to being "anti-toon" now when they may turn into another club that throws insane amounts of money around every chance they get than I ever was.

No one likes oil clubs. It feels like a cheat code these days. But I feel more sympathy for Newcastle after the years they had to suffer under Ashley. I dont blame them for embracing their Saudi over lords. I’d do the same thing if I was in their position.

Be funny if this Abramovich stuff somehow meant MurderousBS getting his shiny new toy taken away from him. It's never gonna happen, but it's nice to dream.

I mean, the Premier League are going to look pretty silly when the much vaunted review of their Fit and Proper Person test is extended to preclude murderous despots guilty of murdering over a quarter-of-a-million men, women, and children with British and American weapons human rights abusers from buying PL clubs.

4 hours ago, Soylent Brown said:

I've spent much energy thinking about them one way or the other.

Indeed. I've been posting here for years and I don't think? there has been that much anti-toon sentiment at all. 90% of the time my thoughts have been 'steve bruce is terrible' and 'mike ashley should get out of that club' - I'm not sure what MercChef is railing against.

Maybe I've just missed all the anti-toon stuff. Who knows.

I've typically felt very sorry for the Newcastle fans, and I still do. 

(The title of the thread, on the other hand, was just 'cause AHNS's post was first.)

I mostly lurk in these threads and feel pretty confident that the Hierarchy of Hatred goes:

1) Robert Firmino

2) Georginio Wijnaldum

3) Various Liverpool players not trying hard enough on any given day

4) Robert Firmino again

5) Manchester United refusing to buy a proper CDM

6) Everton's consistent failures on defense

7) Referee bias against Arsenal (this is #1 for me)

8) Manchester City for always winning

9) Tywin for not understanding football

10) Firmino one last time

Don't think Newcastle is anywhere close to the list.

38 minutes ago, Whiskeyjack said:

Brutal. 

Yeah @MercenaryChef I love you mate, we've been through a lot with the toon together (remotely) but I haven't ever felt the people on here hate Newcastle.

I think it's just us that they hate, pricks  

3 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Brutal. 

Yeah @MercenaryChef I love you mate, we've been through a lot with the toon together (remotely) but I haven't ever felt the people on here hate Newcastle.

I think it's just us that they hate, pricks  

they all adore or feel sorry for the toon but find us insufferable. knowing both of us i can get behind that. 

we are grabbing a point at chelsea this weekend btw.

The very accurate Hierarchy of Hatred leads to an important question that we have to deal with, the sooner the better:

What happens when Roberto Firmino no longer plays for Liverpool?

We should discuss this.

1 hour ago, Whiskeyjack said:

I mostly lurk in these threads and feel pretty confident that the Hierarchy of Hatred goes:

1) Robert Firmino

2) Georginio Wijnaldum

3) Various Liverpool players not trying hard enough on any given day

4) Robert Firmino again

5) Manchester United refusing to buy a proper CDM

6) Everton's consistent failures on defense

7) Referee bias against Arsenal (this is #1 for me)

8) Manchester City for always winning

Why is firminio so disliked in these forums? Not a frequenter around here.

42 minutes ago, The Young Maester said:

Why is firminio so disliked in these forums? Not a frequenter around here.

Bit of a running gag. We have one regular here, who is a Liverpool fan, and just consistently rage posts about the awfulness of Firmino. He used to spread out a bit more evenly, while Wijnaldum was still playing for them. Now the rage is entriely Firmino's to bear.

22 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Bit of a running gag. We have one regular here, who is a Liverpool fan, and just consistently rage posts about the awfulness of Firmino. He used to spread out a bit more evenly, while Wijnaldum was still playing for them. Now the rage is entriely Firmino's to bear.

Lol cool. Because I’m a lfc fan too. But firminio is my favourite player. He is in a bad form atm but I still love him. Great guy, and a joy to watch when in form. Cant really hate a Brazilian player when you see what they can do with a ball.

Archived