Nolan's Oppenheimer

TheLastWolf

17 hours ago, Starkess said:

Yeah this absolutely happened, it was one of the weirdest and cringiest scenes in the whole thing IMO. Threw me right out of the movie and fiance and I both exchanged eye rolling glances.

It doesnt bother me as much as (some) of my former compatriots, but it does seem weird to shoehorn it there. After the Trinity test is the ideal place for that piece of exposition (and to show some of Oppie's quirkiness).

Regarding Einstein, although his letter to FDR sort of set the Project into motion, he himself was denied a security clearance so couldnt work on it (he wouldnt want to I surmise, being a pacifist, and the letter to FDR was one of his biggest regrets....well, apart from the cosmological constant which wasnt really a mistake but I digress)

1 hour ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

It doesnt bother me as much as (some) of my former compatriots, but it does seem weird to shoehorn it there. After the Trinity test is the ideal place for that piece of exposition (and to show some of Oppie's quirkiness).

Regarding Einstein, although his letter to FDR sort of set the Project into motion, he himself was denied a security clearance so couldnt work on it (he wouldnt want to I surmise, being a pacifist, and the letter to FDR was one of his biggest regrets....well, apart from the cosmological constant which wasnt really a mistake but I digress)

Einstein was also a bonafide celebrity, unlike the guys who actually worked on the project. He may have also had spies on him. Either way, a security problem. 

Richard Rhodes also mentions, in answer to this question, that Einstein didn’t know much about fission. More than most scientists, sure, but by the 1940’s, not on the cutting edge. 

22 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Richard Rhodes also mentions, in answer to this question, that Einstein didn’t know much about fission. More than most scientists, sure, but by the 1940’s, not on the cutting edge. 

Well, two things. First of all, fission was 'discovered' in the late 30s. Nearly everyone (even governments) recognized its power almost immediately; still, there was no cutting edge since everyone was still figuring it out even in the early 40s (this is somewhat reductive, but the field was in its infancy). You could bring him up to speed pretty quickly. Second, a lot of science is basically people spitballing and coming up with crazy ideas that others either shoot down or follow up on. Just call Einsten a 'consultant' and involve him in discussions. 

52 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Can anyone recommend a documentary on the Manhattan Project?

Search “Manhattan Project” or “Oppenheimer” on YouTube and you’ll come up with a few.

Los Alamos From Below (audio, YouTube)

The Untold History of the United States, Episode 3.

The Bomb (PBS America, youtube)

To End All War: Oppenheimer and the Atomic Bomb (YouTube for now) this is recent and has Nolan in it.

I could go on.

34 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Well, two things. First of all, fission was 'discovered' in the late 30s. Nearly everyone (even governments) recognized its power almost immediately; still, there was no cutting edge since everyone was still figuring it out even in the early 40s (this is somewhat reductive, but the field was in its infancy). You could bring him up to speed pretty quickly. Second, a lot of science is basically people spitballing and coming up with crazy ideas that others either shoot down or follow up on. Just call Einsten a 'consultant' and involve him in discussions. 

If people are actively working on this problem, there’s a cutting edge, by definition.

But even if you could give Albert a textbook to skim in an afternoon, you still have: a) pacifism, and b) celebrity; both of which are non starters for a guy who has to disappear into the New Mexico desert for two years to work on a secret military project. 

ETA: according to Wikipedia, Lise Meitner (the discoverer of fission) was invited to work on the Manhattan Project, but refused to work on a bomb project. 

Also ETA: I’m watching To End All War: Oppenheimer and the Atomic Bomb and it’s pretty good.

Edited by Deadlines? What Deadlines?

Saw Oppenheimer, other than there being way too many characters to keep track of and the story getting a bit convoluted towards the end (as it always does with Nolan) it was really engaging. The effects were great, acting was superb and the 3 hours flew by for me. A great 9/10

Edited by Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II

David Krumholtz as Isidor Rabi was great as well. Casey Affleck was so low-key menacing as Pash it was kind of crazy, especially sitting in the front row at an IMAX screening. I just realized that the chemistry grad was Judge Anderson from the Dredd movie. 

Nice to see Dean Dehaan and Alden Ehrenreich get reasonable substantial supporting roles in a film with a cast like this. 

https://www.insider.com/oppenheimer-christopher-nolan-cant-hear-dialogue-in-movie-2023-8

Christopher Nolan explains why you might have trouble hearing the dialogue in 'Oppenheimer'

He told Insider the reason for that is he doesn't do additional dialogue recording, known as ADR.

"I like to use the performance that was given in the moment rather than the actor revoice it later," he said.

I didn't realize that actors have to do nearly double the work for dialogue scenes by recording them again in a sound proof room. 

But that's not the problem with Nolan's movies. It's overlaying the loud, buzzing music over the dialogue!!! I highly doubt that Ludwig Göransson was standing behind the set with his instruments and the orchestra playing while the actors were speaking. I can hear the dialogue in the quieter scenes without an issue.

On 8/1/2023 at 11:33 PM, Zorral said:

Japan doesn't like it.  Nor do Native Americans and Mexican Americans of the Southwest.  Wonder why. :dunno:

If Barbie is considered overrated, there are problematic, unaddressed issues around this one as well, right?

Barbie and Oppenheimer each released their first product in Japan.