[Spoilers] Episode 101 Discussion

Ran

34 minutes ago, Caligula_K3 said:

Has there ever been a re-make of a live action show that essentially covers the same plot beats as its predecessor?

Yes.

It happens quite often in TV and it happens ALL the time in cinema...but it is unheard of in American TV.

And when it is remade/relaunched successfully, it usually happens about 10+ years after the original ends. So, we're looking at the 2030s for a reboot...at the earliest.

The toughest season to remake would be season 1 to be honest. And simply by making the series much more magical and religious, you would have a completely different feel. Throw in a TV-exclusive subplot about the Summer Islands or Yi-Ti whatever and you got a completely different show. 

It can be done. But we'd have to wait about half of a generation (~12 years) to see it. We'd need a whole new audience of people who never saw it.

That being said, the more spinoffs you have...the harder it is to reboot the series and the more time we'd have to wait for a reboot. So maybe 2040 is a better estimate?

Now, an animated series on the other hand...

10 minutes ago, C.T. Phipps said:

I mean George says it's happening and it's been in development since House of the Dragons.

Jon is the King. But he is a man of the Night's Watch. He did his duty. He will learn the truth about Bran and unite the realm to take him down.

Edited by Back in Black-Snow

I really enjoyed it, felt much more true to GRRM's world than the latter seasons of GoT.

Aegon dreaming of the Long Night was quite a dramatic reveal, the speech gave me chills (until I remembered how crap the Long Night was in season 8)

The tourney seemed rather untrue to medieval history. Would what Daemon did (tripping the horse) be allowed?

24 minutes ago, zajaz said:

I think there are two things I should say about this:

1) Victorian people (despite what they might have claimed) were not really prudish; they wanted to appear so, but they still had those dirty most people have, and did and enjoyed even dirtier things.

2) Speaking as someone with a low sex drive, I find those murals quite in bad taste if you want to present yourself (as the king) as having royal dignity. Not everyone who does not enjoy erotic murals is a prude. In fact, I'd say some people are becoming less 'prude' if anything these last few years.

Yes, there was a lot of Victorian erotic art, such as orientalist paintings.  Of course, it was meant to be “edifying” by depicting backward cultures, or the wages of sin, or classical scenes of ravishment.

5 minutes ago, C.T. Phipps said:

Biggest change they should have made: King Viserys should have been making the mechanical table from Game of Thrones.

With the level of tech avaliable in Westeros? I find that unlkely. Like, real unlikely.

2 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

Actually, I think they love each other very much. You see this both with Daemon fearing to lose his brother's love in the earlier brothel scene and then how he smiles and is happy when Viserys defends him at the Small Council session he spies on.

Vice versa, it is pretty obvious that Viserys loves Daemon, too, and I think the best scene there is when he tells him what a fuck up Daemon is, that he, the king, is his only friend at court. Without his protection he would very quickly drown.

It's obvious that Viserys loves Daemon; that's why he is so hurt and angry that Daemon has made a mockery out of Viserys' family tragedy, to the extent of exiling Daemon from King's Landing at least for awhile.  And Daemon loves Viserys; Viserys is probably the only person in the world whose respect and authority matter to Daemon, and not just because Viserys is king, but because he is Daemon is his brother, there is a bond between them.  

13 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Now we’ll have to see how many people return next week. What’s weird is that the show still hasn’t been renewed.

That's the thing, they're waiting for the second episode. That will be the big indicator on how the first episode was received. 

Not that I expect the numbers to nosedive, or anything like that. Maybe the mixed reviews spooked them a bit.

Edited by Takiedevushkikakzvezdy

Just finished watching the first episode.

I thought it was very good.

Also the scene at the end where all the lords pledge their support of Rhaenyra, made me think of what happened in England in during the reign of Henry I when he had no male hair and named his daughter Matilda as his hair, but than her cousin Stephen stole the throne after Henry I died in 1135. And England and Normandy went into a civil war lasting 19 years, I wonder if George R.R Martin used the Anarchy as an inspiration of the Targaryen civil war.

48 minutes ago, BlackLightning said:

It happens quite often in TV and it happens ALL the time in cinema...but it is unheard of in American TV.

well ... GoT had always been a gamechanger , right? it may become the first American TV series to reboot! although I doubt it happens anytime soon..

7 minutes ago, Feologild said:

Also the scene at the end where all the lords pledge their support of Rhaenyra, made me think of what happened in England in during the reign of Henry I when he had no male hair and named his daughter Matilda as his hair, but than her cousin Stephen stole the throne after Henry I died in 1135. And England and Normandy went into a civil war lasting 19 years, I wonder if George R.R Martin used the Anarchy as an inspiration of the Targaryen civil war.

He did. There are even direct hints to it in FaB. A major historian writing on the Dance is Septon Eustace, sharing a name with Stephen's heir.

If only Aegon II were as sympathetic as Stephen of Blois was (or at least, as his chroniclers said he was), his eventual  fate could have been truly tragic, instead of having a taste of cosmic karma.

Edited by zajaz

50 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

No. George said it was was in development along with three other successor shows, none of which have been greenlit yet by HBO

It is quite telling that they're even talking about it. George had been previously clear that he had 0 interest in any TV sequels, so I took it to mean that he only took the meeting with this one as a courtesy to Kit Harington and it seems that Harington's pitch was much better than he was expecting, so he gave it his blessing to at least develop further.

It would be interesting because any show that built off the end of GoT and was the brainchild of someone other than GRRM would presumably really have no bearing on the books at all and would be almost completely its own thing.

I was quite surprised at how good this episode was. I was so traumatized with Season 8 that I expected it to be a mess somehow, but it seems they will get this right.

And yes, the Jon Snow spin off is happening sooner or later. Both Martin and Emilia confirmed it's been in development for a year now. 

We are actually going to get a lot of ASOIAF content over the next years. Even after the mess GOT ended up to be, it's still the most watched TV Show ever, the largest cultural phenomenon of the decade alongside the MCU. House of the Dragon is just the beginning.

After watching the trailer for the remainder of the season I noticed that they use the lines which are supposedly from the Daenys the Dreamer/Valyria scene between Viserys and Daemon ('Dreams didn't make us kings, dragons did.') again as a voiceover. So I guess there is still a chance we are going to get a version of the scene, perhaps as a later flashback or as an edited version of that scene depicting another conversation between Viserys and Daemon were the part where they discuss Aemma's death is missing.

We also get more Rhaenyra material in the crypt/wherever with Balerion's skull, so either there are multiple scenes down there, or we get a continuation of the prophecy scene as a flashback in a future episode.

Hopefully Daemon's line there is finally said in any episode.