US politics: When DeSantis go marching in

IheartIheartTesla

42 minutes ago, Zorral said:

What shall be the Big Reveal? 

"I AM HOMELANDER!!!!!!!!!!!! BOW AND ADORE ME ALL!!!!!!!!!!!! ALL MOTHERS' MILK R BELONG TO ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Trump shows up naked and demands his audience individually and specifically heep praise upon his new robes…

23 hours ago, Fez said:

DeSantis lacks charisma, has a squeaky voice, and is short (which shouldn't matter, but does). He also has only ever dealt with a subservient, underfunded Florida media; not the national limelight. I suspect the vast majority of Republicans who say they support him have never actually heard him speak; and it's completely unknown if he can handle the pressure of a national campaign. He's also not a great debater. That might not matter in 2023/24, but I think the Trump of 2015/16 would've eaten him alive on stage.

All of which is to say, there's a long way to go before he's actually the favorite; and that includes in the general election. Right now I think he's basically "generic Republican" for many people.

Yeah, I don't know how his "tough guy" (bullying) personality will play on a national stage--hard to say though. 

On a different note, I know a lot of media are saying Trump's done, but we've been hearing that since 2015. In some ways, he might be the best option as he's not disciplined enough to enact things like the horrible laws and undemocratic moves made by Desantis.

21 minutes ago, Centrist Simon Steele said:

On a different note, I know a lot of media are saying Trump's done, but we've been hearing that since 2015. In some ways, he might be the best option as he's not disciplined enough to enact things like the horrible laws and undemocratic moves made by Desantis.

Oh for sure. I will maintain Trump is the favorite in the Republican primary until I see some very convincing evidence otherwise.

As far as preference, they're all different strands of awful. However, I think Trump is significantly worse on foreign policy than DeSantis or any other Republican option. And the damage done there can be more permanent, as well as just as damaging, than domestic fuckery; albeit often in harder to see ways.

28 minutes ago, LongRider said:

This is a beautiful portrait of Speaker Pelosi, very nice.

Looks like a war hammer all right.  

Assignment: hold a tRumper trading card next to portrait of Pelosi.  Compare, contrast, discuss.

Moderate Republicans weigh hardball tactics to counter anti-McCarthy crew

https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/15/politics/moderate-republicans-kevin-mccarthy-speaker/index.html

As frustration inside the House GOP has grown over a small band of anti-Kevin McCarthy lawmakers, an idea to strike back at the rebellious group has been floated among some Republicans: kicking these members off their committees, according to multiple members involved in the conversations.

While discussions over retributions for McCarthy’s foes, which have not been previously reported, have not gone beyond casual conversations among rank-and-file members, the threat shows how Republicans – particularly moderates – are wrestling with ways to act as a counterweight to the so-called “Never Kevin” movement, which is threatening to derail the California Republican’s speakership bid.

In addition to booting the McCarthy holdouts off committee assignments, various members are considering several other ways to potentially de-fang the threat from their right-wing colleagues. That includes weighing whether to oppose a rules package if it includes reinstating an arcane tool that would empower any member to bring up a floor vote to oust a speaker at any time, as well as the longshot idea of teaming up across the aisle with Democrats to elect a speaker if the race goes to multiple ballots and no one budges.

1 hour ago, LongRider said:

This is a beautiful portrait of Speaker Pelosi, very nice.

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

Looks like a war hammer all right.

LongRider, et al. -- it really is a nice painting. And I love the symbolism! Not just the hammer, which will forever be associated with Nancy (as Speaker, of course ;); but also the fasces. Does anyone know what the fasces represents.

USG! USG! USG!

8 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Apparently they are not even NFTs. He's selling JPEGs for a hundred bucks. 

So... NFT's without the NF. So.... an NFT then?

2 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

It’s a line of fucking “NFT Trading cards”.  What a loser:

I have soooooo many things to say about this. 

1) I love how cheap the art looks, like Trump's head has just been poorly photoshopped onto a Liver King-sized body. And some of the others are EVEN WORSE.

2) I love that Trump is getting into NFT's NOW, after the market has crashed and they've largely been exposed as a scam. Like he's so incompetent he can't even grift properly sometimes.

3) I love that Trump is trying to get in on that Dark Brandon energy. He clearly hates Biden but is simultaneously trying to siphon off some of his chaos energy.

I love and hate so much about this. 

5 minutes ago, Wade1865 said:

LongRider, et al. -- it really is a nice painting. And I love the symbolism! Not just the hammer, which will forever be associated with Nancy (as Speaker, of course ;); but also the fasces. Does anyone know what the fasces represents.

USG! USG! USG!

The Lincoln memorial as well. 

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Lincoln_statue,_Lincoln_Memorial.jpg#/media/File:Lincoln_statue,_Lincoln_Memorial.jpg

2 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

Moderate Republicans weigh hardball tactics to counter anti-McCarthy crew

https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/15/politics/moderate-republicans-kevin-mccarthy-speaker/index.html

Again, offer them the potential of Speaker Larry Hogan. He's far from perfect, but he's not insane. Biden and Senate Democrats could work with him to get some shit done. McCarthy, otoh, is a worthless human being who would hurt everyday people for his own perceived gains. 

"Moderate" Republicans - e.g. the Republican Governance Group - are currently working with McCarthy to beat back the crazies:

By using moderates as a critical tool for countering conservatives, McCarthy appears to be carefully positioning himself to say to his right flank: Sorry, your own colleagues won’t support such a demand. Having them play “bad cop” on anything from the motion to vacate to, possibly, a future debt ceiling showdown, for example, could set McCarthy up to be seen as the “good cop” — a reasonable dealmaker trying to find a path forward between warring factions.

This is the most plausible way for McCarthy to secure the Speakership, which remains the most likely outcome.

Archived