Jon Snow is likely to go insane

Damsel in Distress

On 3/2/2023 at 9:17 PM, Darth Sidious said:

Even the lowest of the forty ruling families of Valyria is far greater than the Starks. 

In terms of power, yes. Their power was derived from their dragons, not from anything special about them.

but in terms of morality, the Starks curb stomp them

14 hours ago, James West said:

Far greater.  And the Targaryens are the rightful rulers of all because they are the descendants of the Empresses and Emperors of the Great Empire Of The Dawn.  

Are you using racial essentialism to justify conquest? If we want to go with the descendants of the dawn for the rightful rulers, Bu Gai or Chai the Sorcerer are your candidates, descended from the Lion of Night. Daenerys descends from shepherds, probably Western Lhazareen, and the Blackwoods, the Daynes, the Martells, and the Rogares. Do not claim false racial heritage to justify your racial conquest. 

As to the question: an undead Jon Snow is likely to go at least some level of mad, but not because Arya killed two people in Braavos. 

29 minutes ago, The Commentator said:

Jon is already going crazy. He triggered an ill-advised conflict with Ramsay just to take and hide his sister from the Boltons. 

For the millionth time, Jon sent Mance to try and find Arya in the vicinity of Long Lake, based on info from Mel that she’d already escaped from her murderous rapist husband. But you know all that, don’t you? *YAWN*

31 minutes ago, The Commentator said:

Jon is already going crazy. He triggered an ill-advised conflict with Ramsay just to take and hide his sister from the Boltons. 

Yep, except he didn't. He didn't trigger it, he responded & he doesn't even have his sister, neither did Ramsay. 

• 1 month later...
On 1/14/2023 at 9:24 AM, Damsel in Distress said:

I posted a comment on this in 2017. 

If R + L = J is true, then Jon Snow is the one who will go insane.  He will have incidences of insanity from the Stark as well as the Targaryen side.  His kin, Arya Stark, is already insane. 

I edited, updated, and re-posted below:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Rumors of Targaryen Madness is an Exaggeration.  And a slander against the ruling House Targaryen

The prevalence of the madness that runs in the family is exaggerated.  A careful study of the Targaryen lineage shows that this madness is not as prevalent as their enemies would have us believe.

Targaryen + Targaryen = Maegor the Cruel
    Arryn + Targaryen = Rhaenyra
    Hightower + Targaryen = Aegon II
    Rogare + Targaryen = Aegon IV
    Velaryon + Targaryen = Baelor the Blessed
    Dayne + Targaryen = Aerion Brightflame
    Kiera + Targaryen = Vaela
    Targaryen + Targaryen = Aerys II

In red - female parent. Non-Targaryen female parent. 

Italics – unclear whether these people were mad or simply just cruel. Vaela is likely someone who just had a below average mental capacity. 

What interests me most is that the majority of the so-called “mad” members of the family were not the direct result of T + T but rather the result of what appears to be normal pairings.  A second item of note is that the madness happens more often when the mother comes from outside the family.  This means the carriers of the madness are the male Targaryens.  Thirdly, because we are dealing with a fantasy world in which real genetics may not completely hold true, we can assume that anyone whose father is a Targaryen will have an equal chance of going mad as any other member of the family with a Targaryen father.  Also note that we have not had a female Targaryen of whom we can clearly point out as mad.  None.  Rhaenyra was a b* but being a difficult person does not make one mad.  Maegor was cruel but that doesn’t mean he was mad.  If cruelty alone make one mad then Tywin and Stannis could be labeled insane. 

Implications are as follows:

1.  The Targaryens are the most prominent family in the series of A Song of Ice and Fire.  I do not believe George R R Martin will end this family line.  I think the family just needed a fresh start and based on my theory that the males carry the potentially damaging gene it makes sense to eliminate the male line and begin anew with a perfect Targaryen female.  Who is, of course, the Mother of Dragons herself, Daenerys Targaryen.
    2.  The Targaryen dragons also needed a refresh.  The heroine delivered once more and hatched three eggs.
    3.  Daenerys Targaryen is just fine.  She will not go mad.  Her future children are not going to go mad. 
    4.  Rhaegar + Lyanna = Jon.  Should this theory of his parentage prove to be true, that Rhaegar is the father and Lyanna Stark the mother, it is very likely that it will be Jon who will go insane.

My verdict?  Jon has a much greater chance of going mad than Daenerys. 

Genetic incompatibility when the female parent is not a Targaryen is very likely a cause of the madness.  The prophecy stipulated that the Promised Targaryen had to come from a couple of generations of Targaryen + Targaryen parentage.  I now suspect this was to reduce the chances of madness.  The Dragonlords never intended to mate with lower status people and would not have this issue of incompatibility.  Illegitimate children with servants were easily sent away and were never heard from. 

On 3/30/2023 at 7:56 PM, The Commentator said:

Yes, trying to spare one's sister from being tortured and raped is the obvious hallmark of the lunatic.  It stands to reason.

7 hours ago, SeanF said:

Yes, trying to spare one's sister from being tortured and raped is the obvious hallmark of the lunatic.  It stands to reason.

His choices were unpleasant but there was a proper one. To continue with his oath and avoid meddling in Bolton’s politics. Jon’s duties were at the wall. Not rescuing his sister from a bad marriage.  

15 minutes ago, The Commentator said:

His choices were unpleasant but there was a proper one. To continue with his oath and avoid meddling in Bolton’s politics. Jon’s duties were at the wall. Not rescuing his sister from a bad marriage.  

Whether or not you consider that it is morally right for Ramsay Bolton to inflict forcible bestiality on his wife, it is hardly “crazy” for Jon to think otherwise.

Edited by SeanF

On 4/30/2023 at 9:53 PM, Kierria said:

Genetic incompatibility when the female parent is not a Targaryen is very likely a cause of the madness.  The prophecy stipulated that the Promised Targaryen had to come from a couple of generations of Targaryen + Targaryen parentage.  I now suspect this was to reduce the chances of madness.  The Dragonlords never intended to mate with lower status people and would not have this issue of incompatibility.  Illegitimate children with servants were easily sent away and were never heard from. 

"gods don't mate with beast"  according to George Martin.  This creates a dilemma for those who believe R + L = J because it means Jon has a high chance of going insane.  Rhaegar, a god mated with a human.  The incompatibility produced a child in danger of losing his mind. 

25 minutes ago, Here's Looking At You, Kid said:

"gods don't mate with beast"  according to George Martin.  This creates a dilemma for those who believe R + L = J because it means Jon has a high chance of going insane.  Rhaegar, a god mated with a human.  The incompatibility produced a child in danger of losing his mind. 

:rofl:

STOP I CAN ONLY TAKE SO MUCH!!!! I think I just peed a little….

6 hours ago, Here's Looking At You, Kid said:

Rhaegar, a god mated with a human. 

:rofl:

If he was a god, why did he get his chest smashed in by his better?

Answer: he wasn't a god. He was a pathetic inbred emo.

6 hours ago, Here's Looking At You, Kid said:

This has to be the biggest load of tripe I have ever seen on this forum.

6 hours ago, Lady Stonehearts Simp said:

STOP I CAN ONLY TAKE SO MUCH!!!! I think I just peed a little….

It's funny but sad because it's a sign of the forum dying.

On 5/1/2023 at 4:47 PM, The Commentator said:

You are not wrong but I don't think this is 'crazy'. Can you say with a straight face that you wouldn't try to rescue your own sister from such a situation just because it threatens to trigger a conflict (or at least a very strong animosity towards the Watch) with the Boltons?

This is not 'craziness' or 'madness', valuing family over duty is normal human behaviour.

Edited by csuszka1948

21 hours ago, Here's Looking At You, Kid said:

"gods don't mate with beast"  according to George Martin. 

Did Martin say that? Care to provide a quote? Or did a character created by Martin say that? There’s a world of difference, you know.  

This creates a dilemma for those who believe R + L = J

Sadly this will be confirmed. I know it, you know it, my dead Nan knows it. 

because it means Jon has a high chance of going insane.

Right! You mean like Aegon V? Or his kids? Or his father & siblings? And so many others who had Targ/non-Targ parents. :rolleyes:

Rhaegar, a god mated with a human. 

Are you saying that on top of sibling fucking, which is disgusting enough, they are delusional as well? Although that’s not fair on Rhaegar since he’s not the one making the delusional claims here… And as @Craving Peaches said, albeit more nicely, what the fuck kind of pathetic “god” gets his arse handed to him the way Rhaegar did? :rofl:

The incompatibility produced a child in danger of losing his mind. 

Again, can you go read the fucking books before making these dumb af statements? There’s a list of very normal and sane Targs that are the offspring of Targ/non-Targ parents that is as long as Tormund’s member.