Jon Snow is likely to go insane

Damsel in Distress

On 6/25/2023 at 2:36 PM, H Wadsworth Longfellow said:

Jon's chances of losing his mind are exponentially greater than Dany's chances.  Even more so now after Bowen Marsh and the brother punctured him in multiple places.  His anger and hate started to build as he lay dying.  I don't think Jon will forget that during death and when the WW revive him his mind will be partially gone.  Just like Cat's mind has decayed. 

Jon doesn’t deserve a good ending. He won’t get one. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/14/2023 at 9:24 PM, Damsel in Distress said:

I posted a comment on this in 2017. 

If R + L = J is true, then Jon Snow is the one who will go insane.  He will have incidences of insanity from the Stark as well as the Targaryen side.  His kin, Arya Stark, is already insane. 

I edited, updated, and re-posted below:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Rumors of Targaryen Madness is an Exaggeration.  And a slander against the ruling House Targaryen

The prevalence of the madness that runs in the family is exaggerated.  A careful study of the Targaryen lineage shows that this madness is not as prevalent as their enemies would have us believe.

Targaryen + Targaryen = Maegor the Cruel
    Arryn + Targaryen = Rhaenyra
    Hightower + Targaryen = Aegon II
    Rogare + Targaryen = Aegon IV
    Velaryon + Targaryen = Baelor the Blessed
    Dayne + Targaryen = Aerion Brightflame
    Kiera + Targaryen = Vaela
    Targaryen + Targaryen = Aerys II

In red - female parent. Non-Targaryen female parent. 

Italics – unclear whether these people were mad or simply just cruel. Vaela is likely someone who just had a below average mental capacity. 

What interests me most is that the majority of the so-called “mad” members of the family were not the direct result of T + T but rather the result of what appears to be normal pairings.  A second item of note is that the madness happens more often when the mother comes from outside the family.  This means the carriers of the madness are the male Targaryens.  Thirdly, because we are dealing with a fantasy world in which real genetics may not completely hold true, we can assume that anyone whose father is a Targaryen will have an equal chance of going mad as any other member of the family with a Targaryen father.  Also note that we have not had a female Targaryen of whom we can clearly point out as mad.  None.  Rhaenyra was a b* but being a difficult person does not make one mad.  Maegor was cruel but that doesn’t mean he was mad.  If cruelty alone make one mad then Tywin and Stannis could be labeled insane. 

Implications are as follows:

1.  The Targaryens are the most prominent family in the series of A Song of Ice and Fire.  I do not believe George R R Martin will end this family line.  I think the family just needed a fresh start and based on my theory that the males carry the potentially damaging gene it makes sense to eliminate the male line and begin anew with a perfect Targaryen female.  Who is, of course, the Mother of Dragons herself, Daenerys Targaryen.
    2.  The Targaryen dragons also needed a refresh.  The heroine delivered once more and hatched three eggs.
    3.  Daenerys Targaryen is just fine.  She will not go mad.  Her future children are not going to go mad. 
    4.  Rhaegar + Lyanna = Jon.  Should this theory of his parentage prove to be true, that Rhaegar is the father and Lyanna Stark the mother, it is very likely that it will be Jon who will go insane.

My verdict?  Jon has a much greater chance of going mad than Daenerys. 

Jon's chances are equivalent or greater.  I say equivalent or a little more because of his gender. 

• 5 months later...

I posted a comment on this in 2017. 

If R + L = J is true, then Jon Snow is the one who will go insane.  He will have incidences of insanity from the Stark as well as the Targaryen side.  His kin, Arya Stark, is already insane. 

I edited, updated, and re-posted below:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Rumors of Targaryen Madness is an Exaggeration.  And a slander against the ruling House Targaryen

The prevalence of the madness that runs in the family is exaggerated.  A careful study of the Targaryen lineage shows that this madness is not as prevalent as their enemies would have us believe.

Italics – unclear whether these people were mad or simply just cruel. Vaela is likely someone who just had a below average mental capacity. 

What interests me most is that the majority of the so-called “mad” members of the family were not the direct result of T + T but rather the result of what appears to be normal pairings.  A second item of note is that the madness happens more often when the mother comes from outside the family.  This means the carriers of the madness are the male Targaryens.  Thirdly, because we are dealing with a fantasy world in which real genetics may not completely hold true, we can assume that anyone whose father is a Targaryen will have an equal chance of going mad as any other member of the family with a Targaryen father.  Also note that we have not had a female Targaryen of whom we can clearly point out as mad.  None.  Rhaenyra was a b* but being a difficult person does not make one mad.  Maegor was cruel but that doesn’t mean he was mad.  If cruelty alone make one mad then Tywin and Stannis could be labeled insane. 

Implications are as follows:

1.  The Targaryens are the most prominent family in the series of A Song of Ice and Fire.  I do not believe George R R Martin will end this family line.  I think the family just needed a fresh start and based on my theory that the males carry the potentially damaging gene it makes sense to eliminate the male line and begin anew with a perfect Targaryen female.  Who is, of course, the Mother of Dragons herself, Daenerys Targaryen.
    2.  The Targaryen dragons also needed a refresh.  The heroine delivered once more and hatched three eggs.
    3.  Daenerys Targaryen is just fine.  She will not go mad.  Her future children are not going to go mad. 
    4.  Rhaegar + Lyanna = Jon.  Should this theory of his parentage prove to be true, that Rhaegar is the father and Lyanna Stark the mother, it is very likely that it will be Jon who will go insane.

My verdict?  Jon has a much greater chance of going mad than Daenerys. 

Jon was the famous Night's King. He is back and he will pretty much reprise the role of evil commander.  The wildlings will either convert and offer up human sacrifices or they will leave Castle Black.  The black rock of the ancient stories is either going to be in the Winterfell crypts or somewhere in one of the strongholds at the Wall. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/28/2023 at 2:36 AM, The Gizzard of Oz said:

Jon is stuck to that wall like a fungus.  He ain't leaving.  He is the blue flower growing on a crack that he made on the wall.  He might come to some sense later on and but that is doubtful because he died.  Only the white walkers and their magic can bring him back as a wight in their service.  

The Others will revive Jon’s broken body. He’s already a traitor. I can see Jon making an evil pact with the White Walkers. 

14 hours ago, Darth Sidious said:

The Others will revive Jon’s broken body. He’s already a traitor. I can see Jon making an evil pact with the White Walkers. 

The Dothraki will resuscitate Dany's sickly body. She's already a traitor. I can see Dany making an evil pact with the Great Masters.

3 minutes ago, Many-Faced Votary said:

The Dothraki will resuscitate Dany's sickly body. She's already a traitor. I can see Dany making an evil pact with the Great Masters.

I mean Dany abandoned her people in Meereen, to fly away on her dragon. It's a shame she's likely to make a pact with the savage horse lords, and likely to go insane in their service, lol

Jon died in his last chapter.  The Others can bring the dead back to some sick imitation of life and that will be good enough for Jon to find his sister and take her away from her many enemies.  Like the ice dragon.  He gets to rescue a girl, he thinks is his sister, and lives just long enough to do it and then finally melts away forever.  He is a man guilty of treason and he is not going to have a place anywhere among the living. 

The Targs who lost their minds had one parent who was not a Targaryen. Aerys is the one exception but it was the maesters who poisoned him.  I think that is the key.  Godlike beings like the Targaryens should not mix blood with regular humans. 

On 3/2/2024 at 11:07 PM, Many-Faced Votary said:

It is after all a Song of Ice and Fire

Dany goes east to get whatever that darkness was that consumed Aerea from within

Jon goes north to get whatever that darkness was that forced them to build the Wall in the first place

Somehow the two main pieces are going to clash before books are done

4 hours ago, Eli Cross said:

The Targs who lost their minds had one parent who was not a Targaryen. Aerys is the one exception but it was the maesters who poisoned him.  I think that is the key.  Godlike beings like the Targaryens should not mix blood with regular humans. 

Great, another really insightful opinion which totally contributes to the rational discussion completely based on the text rather than irrational love/hate relationships with fictitious characters.

On 2/18/2024 at 8:57 AM, H Wadsworth Longfellow said:

Jon was the famous Night's King

I must truly compliment you upon your creative ability. Notwithstanding the fact that it belongs what's most likely a sad, dry ham sandwich of a person. 

So far as I know, we've never gotten any evidence that the above is true, so I would appreciate it if you provided the evidence to back it up. Page numbers and all. 

On 3/2/2024 at 8:12 PM, sifth said:

I mean Dany abandoned her people in Meereen, to fly away on her dragon. It's a shame she's likely to make a pact with the savage horse lords, and likely to go insane in their service, lol

She probably won't go insane because of anything mentioned previously, unless she brings the Dothraki to Westeros. If she does do that, she'll go postal because of the sheer logistical and diplomatic headache they would give her lol