NFL Draft 2023: Little Black Books edition

Jace, Extat

5 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Last I heard was if he was still trying to get to Miami they'd have to offer them something. But yeah, I wouldn't want him either with that line. There are some back ups though that are better options than Wilson. The one I really don't get that people are talking about is bringing in Cam. He's extra washed. 

I'm not sure any of the back-ups actually available are any better than the basically retired veteran free agent QBs; Matt Ryan, Blake Bortles, Colt McCoy, Carson Wentz, etc. Probably better to get one of them for free rather than make a trade.

All ugly options, but the Jets legit need to sign someone. Even if they think Wilson is actually the best available option right now, they at least need some sort of back-up for him. Last night, if he went down (and he did look a little concussed one play), Randall Cobb was the available QB3.

Unless any of the actually good back-ups are available. But I imagine any team would demand a (relative) king's ransom for them, knowing how desperate the Jets are.

1 hour ago, mcbigski said:

I think it was the way his calf quivered in slow mo as all the tension in lower leg got released.  I for one blame Pod.

Yeah that is it.  You can see a small pop in the back of his calf where it looks like something is bulginh in the back of his calf.  It's probably when it popped. 

13 minutes ago, Fez said:

I'm not sure any of the back-ups actually available are any better than the basically retired veteran free agent QBs; Matt Ryan, Blake Bortles, Colt McCoy, Carson Wentz, etc. Probably better to get one of them for free rather than make a trade.

All ugly options, but the Jets legit need to sign someone. Even if they think Wilson is actually the best available option right now, they at least need some sort of back-up for him. Last night, if he went down (and he did look a little concussed one play), Randall Cobb was the available QB3.

Unless any of the actually good back-ups are available. But I imagine any team would demand a (relative) king's ransom for them, knowing how desperate the Jets are.

If they could trade for Brissett, I think he's easily better than the corpse of Matt Ryan or Carson Wentz.  Especially on a team with an elite defense and good receivers.  Brissett can absolutely be a solid game manager on the Jets like he was on the Browns last year, and the Jets defense won't totally blow easy wins like the Browns defense did several times last year.

Edited by briantw

29 minutes ago, Fez said:

Is that Felipe Rios' entrance music? But yeah, those are all bad options.

Yeesh. 

Yeah, that's the rub. They're going to have to overpay for a not very good player and some of the guys I'd target are going to be FAs. Cooper Rush might be worth it if he only cost you like a 4th. Jameis wouldn't be too bad either. The Saints and Cowboys have depth at the position so maybe they wouldn't be too greedy. Taylor is another option. Dalton and Minshew too. The Colts and Panthers don't need premium back ups because if either rookie goes down they need to tank. 

ETA: Yeah agreed, Brissett is also not a bad option. Trubisky is probably better than Wilson too. 

The Jets are in a tough spot because they're too talented to tank it out, but with Wilson I doubt they get even six more wins. He is an absolute bust at this point. With Lance you can at least say he's never gotten a real chance. I've seen enough of Wilson to know his best hope is that he's a career back up. 

Edited by Tywin et al.

13 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I've watched it a few times and don't see an obvious tear. I thought he just rolled his ankle or something.

I haven't watched it again but watching it live I thought it was going to be ankle ligaments from getting his foot caught in the ground a bit in the tackle. I don't really have any feelings either way on the Jets and I mildly dislike Rodgers after all the vaccine stuff but tearing his achilles like that is pretty brutal.

49 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

I don't really have any feelings either way on the Jets and I mildly dislike Rodgers after all the vaccine stuff but tearing his achilles like that is pretty brutal.

And the 9/11 stuff (alluding to it being an inside job and we are all too dumb to know it), which was ironic since he was in NY on 9/11 and he went down.

If I am Dallas there is no way I'm trading Rush with Daks' recent injury history. Will Grier is gone to Cinnci so all we would have is Trey Lance who just got here, no thanks. They would have to offer 1st rounder to get me to even think about it, not because Rush is worth it but because Dallas is a legit contender in NFC and we have no depth past Rush.

2 hours ago, dbunting said:

And the 9/11 stuff (alluding to it being an inside job and we are all too dumb to know it), which was ironic since he was in NY on 9/11 and he went down.

It's as if the NY sports gods intervened. 

If I am Dallas there is no way I'm trading Rush with Daks' recent injury history. Will Grier is gone to Cinnci so all we would have is Trey Lance who just got here, no thanks. They would have to offer 1st rounder to get me to even think about it, not because Rush is worth it but because Dallas is a legit contender in NFC and we have no depth past Rush.

That's why Rush probably won't be who they target. The Cowboys are going to demand way more than he's worth despite the likelihood he won't be back with the team next year. 

On 9/12/2023 at 11:44 AM, Fez said:

Although, this does open the slimmest possible window of Tom Brady dressing up as a Jet, which would be objectively hilarious.

I would laugh. Also maybe have Darrelle Revis there as an honorary co-captain or something.

ETA: seems like this was at least discussed!

The New York Jets won’t be checking to see if recently retired quarterback Tom Brady has any interest in returning to football, multiple league sources told The Athletic.

Edited by DanteGabriel

I showed this to my daughter to emphasize the importance of grammar. (not sure how to paste a picture)

Basically, Patrick Mahomes tweeted "Hate that man...Prayers for the best" right after Aaron Rodgers got hurt.

He then realized he forgot the comma.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F5yXFsKWcAAbPB8?format=jpg&name=small

Edited by grozeng

Hurts forgot how to throw the ball. So far he's 9/12, but it's all short passes outside of one bomb he underthrew and Smith had to do all the work to make the play happen. I still think it was a mistake to pay him. Make him the Panthers' QB and he'd look like shit. 

4 minutes ago, aceluby said:

Why are they allowing the Eagles right tackle to be 3 yards in the backfield before every pass play?

Been wondering it all game. There should be a false start on half the plays they run.

When the schedule was announced I said the Vikings were a 6 win team. Then I thought with Flores and the changes on the offensive side that I might have underestimated them. 

Nope. They will be lucky to be a 6 win team.

@Tywin et al. was right. This should have been a full rebuild year. This season is gonna be rough.

1 minute ago, aceluby said:

When the schedule was announced I said the Vikings were a 6 win team. Then I thought with Flores and the changes on the offensive side that I might have underestimated them. 

Nope. They will be lucky to be a 6 win team.

@Tywin et al. was right. This should have been a full rebuild year. This season is gonna be rough.

Well to be fair you can argue if one play goes differently in each game they're 2-0. But that's been the problem the last few years. Every game outside of a few blowout wins and losses has been a one score game and you can't trust winning that way. They're floating in the middle and clearly need to get a new QB. I really hope if they have a bad record at the trade deadline they trade Kirk if there's a needy team and (I know this will be unpopular) see if they can get three firsts for JJ. 

8 hours ago, aceluby said:

Why are they allowing the Eagles right tackle to be 3 yards in the backfield before every pass play?

8 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Been wondering it all game. There should be a false start on half the plays they run.

Probably for the same reason they allowed the KC RG to do the same thing every snap against Detroit.  After media/social media "outrage" from that game you'd think it would have been addressed.

3 hours ago, dbunting said:

Probably for the same reason they allowed the KC RG to do the same thing every snap against Detroit.  After media/social media "outrage" from that game you'd think it would have been addressed.

I just don't get how officiating across several sports is allowed to be so bad in general, but especially since they're now in bed with gambling companies.