UK Politics: Bully for you

Derfel Cadarn

2 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Is this about the time you audtioned for Ariel but got cast as Sebastian? :D

Before you start, I've never set a hoof into a Disney park.

Lol. I stayed at Disneyworld twice when I was a kid and been to Disneyland probably around 10 times. They're great, but smaller amusement parks are better (both cost wise and because you don't have to wait in line until you're older than Charles).

I just want to be the person that makes the window open on the Tower of Terror. But I'd make a pretty awesome Goofy too unless I needed to have a British accent. If that were the case Spocky's dog could perform better than me.

6 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

The princesses are making bank:

https://www.gobankingrates.com/money/jobs/how-much-do-disney-princesses-mascots-make/

https://sports.yahoo.com/salaries-disney-princesses-mascots-more-090037308.html

If you look closely at the public details they pay these character employees next to nothing, but a few draw pretty large salaries by comparison which skews it even to the sad amounts you can find online.

And I'm sure the majority of them do far more work than Charles ever will. 

I'd be willing to bump it up to GBP11/hr, on a zero hour contract, for the royals to do duty when called upon.

20 hours ago, dog-days said:

This extract from a book by former Special Constable Matt Lloyd-Rose makes pretty good reading. Not as completely down on the Met as it initially seems, though still critical. 

I read that extract and then some of the comments on this thread and have to wonder why it's bad for officer to be 'talent spotting' but OK for users here to be discussing Penny Mordaunt purely in terms of her physical attractiveness.

16 minutes ago, mormont said:

I read that extract and then some of the comments on this thread and have to wonder why it's bad for officer to be 'talent spotting' but OK for users here to be discussing Penny Mordaunt purely in terms of her physical attractiveness.

So we should never comment on anyone’s physical attractiveness. Got it. 

Thousands of kids, every single day on twitter: ZOMG!!! Zendaya is absolutely gorgeous. Her and Spiderman make such a beautiful couple.

Awwwwww, how wholesome.

Some fifty year old bloke on a messageboard: NGL, Penny is pretty hot. 

THIS IS THE ASBSOLUTE HEIGHT OF MISOGYNY! THIS POSTER IS OBJECTIFIYNG WOMEN! 

Edited by Spockydog

1 hour ago, mormont said:

Not that I think it brings anything to the table when people discuss politicians based on their looks even though people were commenting a lot on politicians they don't like, the main distinction is that policy officers during work time should treat every person equal, shouldn't waste their time doing those things and shouldn't intrude on the privacy of people more than strictly necessary, like it has been described in that Guardian article.

7 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Thousands of kids, every single day on twitter: ZOMG!!! Zendaya is absolutely gorgeous. Her and Spiderman make such a beautiful couple.

Awwwwww, how wholesome.

Some fifty year old bloke on a messageboard: NGL, Penny is pretty hot. 

THIS IS THE ASBSOLUTE HEIGHT OF MISOGYNY! THIS POSTER IS OBJECTIFIYNG WOMEN! 

Ugh, I hate when I agree with Spocky.

8 minutes ago, kiko said:

Not that I think it brings anything to the table when people discuss politicians based on their looks even though people were commenting a lot on politicians they don't like, the main distinction is that policy officers during work time should treat every person equal, shouldn't waste their time doing those things and shouldn't intrude on the privacy of people more than strictly necessary, like it has been described in that Guardian article.

Ugh, policy officers are the worst!

2 hours ago, Heartofice said:

So we should never comment on anyone’s physical attractiveness. Got it. 

Hmm you always act so extreme when having to face someone with a opinion you find disagreeble.

A little bit of charity  Makes for productive discourse.

Anyway how do you feel about Charles bringing back his(alleged)child-raping brother back into the spotlight and police arresting anti-monarchists trying to peacefully protest?

Edited by Varysblackfyre321

6 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

nyway how do you feel about Charles bringing back his(alleged)child-raping brother back into the spotlight and police arresting anti-monarchists trying to peacefully protest?

He wasn’t really in the spotlight though was he, he appeared briefly and then was sent away from the spotlight. He wasn’t allowed on the balcony with the rest of the royals. I’m not seeing any change there.

As for the protest, on the face of it, it could be disturbing, although there is good reason to believe they were planning to do something more than stand around chanting. It’s not like any sort of protest was cracked down on. 

15 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

He wasn’t really in the spotlight though was he,

He was tho even got put in a little silly outfit.

He wasn’t allowed on the balcony with the rest of the royals

I just kinda think Charles could have the(alleged) child rapist stay in his mansion?

Was that not an option?

although there is good reason to believe they were planning to do something more than stand around chanting.

They may have also done a little a march/s

Anyway if you can actually show a strong proof  that what appears to be a authoritarian crackdown democratic protests against a monarch isn’t that please give it because that’d make things look a lot less alarming.

1 minute ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

I just kinda think Charles could have the(alleged) child rapist stay in his mansion?

Yeah could have thrown him in the tower too right?

3 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Anyway if you can actually show a strong proof  that what appears to be a authoritarian crackdown democratic protests against a monarch isn’t that please give it because that’d make things look a lot less alarming.

Given that there were protests where people were not arrested then I’m not all that worried.

Plus generally everyone was there to have a good day and most people really enjoyed it. People turning up to boo and be arseholes are just that, arseholes. I’m well up for the police telling them to go away and do it somewhere else. The edgelord conversation in this place isn’t really all that reflective of the general mood. 

6 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Yeah

Yes, 

That would have been the best option in terms of dealing with the (alleged) child-rapist here right?

Or would that be too much of the cancel culture? :P

6 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Given that there were protests where people were not arrested then I’m not all that worried.

So you have no strong proof that the protesters that were arrested actually were planning anything more than peacefully protesting.

Got it. It appears you are in favor of the cancel culture. :P

3 hours ago, mormont said:

I haven't been following the coronation discussions here and elsewhere closely, but at least based on the Twitter reactions I've been seeing, the talk has been mainly about the rather striking dress. Think there's also a narrow but deep gulf between 'that person looks really elegant'* and typical 'totally fuckable/eight out of ten/I'd tell her to sit on my face if I was Sunak' locker-room talk.

Re: the article. I did like the way that at the end the breakdown was: 50% good people, 25% excellent, 25% walking problems that should never have been recruited in the first place. I've had relatives in the police, and do feel for the ones trying to do a decent job while the horrors go around stamping on whatever good will has been created by the others. 

* In the context of an event focused on appearance and pageantry 

Edited by dog-days