UK Politics: Bully for you

Derfel Cadarn

32 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Maybe all the flag-waving fucks are camping out in London and so never voted!

That’s funny, I just heard an interview on the CBC of a Canadian woman who’s been camping out somewhere on the route (I missed the start of the interview) since Wednesday, for various boring reasons, and she actually mentioned all the 80 year olds who’ve showed up to join the crowd. :P

Rishi Sunak Falls Victim to his Own ‘War on Woke’

Most elections, like most wars, are won and lost long before battle actually commences. 

Long term political, demographic and economic shifts almost always matter much more to the final outcome than any one leaflet, attack ad, or campaign gaffe.

There are few better examples of this than yesterday’s local elections. In the months running up to polling day, Rishi Sunak’s party and its ideological cheerleaders tried desperately to start a series of ‘culture wars’ on everything from immigration, to the BBC, to trans rights. 

As voters told pollsters that their overwhelming priorities were dealing with surging prices, falling wages and an increasingly broken public sector, the Conservatives instead spent months talking about unisex bathrooms, small boats, and Gary Lineker.

In the weeks leading up to polling day, as Labour and Liberal Democrat activists poured onto doorsteps with promises to fix Britain’s broken economy, The Sun newspaper instead splashed on a claim that ‘BRITS SAY NO TO WOKE’ while suggesting that voters were set to ‘reject woke Labour’. Meanwhile the conservative academic Matthew Goodwin toured broadcast studios pushing his theory that the liberal-left ‘new elite’ had become completely detached from the public mood.

In reality the complete opposite was the case. While the Conservative party and its cheerleaders banged on ever more loudly about its ‘war on woke’, voters have increasingly headed in the opposite direction.

As the nation’s leading pollster Sir John Curtice told the Byline Times in an interview this week, “If you look at the long term trends, anti-woke views are becoming less and less common”.

“You are chasing a declining zeitgeist, because in the end, one of the reasons why ‘anti-woke’ folk are so upset is because certain things that once upon a time nobody questioned, like the idea that same sex relationships are not a good idea… are no longer commonly held views.

“On this whole argument about diversity, attitudes have shifted and they have shifted in a ‘woke’ direction.”

This is not just a recent development. Former Prime Minister David Cameron first identified the way the country was heading way back in 2005 when he became Conservative party leader. His attempts to reform the party’s image with younger, university educated, and increasingly socially liberal and globally aware voters were derided at the time by the press as an attempt to “hug a hoodie”. However, they were decisive in helping bring the party back to power after more than a decade in the wilderness.

Yet since the Brexit referendum, Cameron’s party has abandoned all such attempts and instead sought to repeatedly pump a few more gasps of air back into the gradually deflating coalition of older, more socially conservative voters that helped to win the Brexit referendum and 2019 general election.

The results from yesterday’s local elections suggest that this strategy has now finally run out of breath.

6 hours ago, Spockydog said:

8 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Ukip gone [snip]

These two posts are telling the same story. The Tories, for years, were worried about being outflanked on the right by UKIP and various other lunatics. Now, there's no good reason to vote for those parties because the Conservative front bench are positioned to the right of where UKIP was back in the 2010s. But that has put off middle-of-the-road voters, not because they're repulsed by these policies but because the Tories - having been in government for so long - just have no ideas to address those voters' real priorities. All they talk about is issues of ideological purity. They have literally nothing to say to huge swathes of the electorate: anyone under 40, for example, would struggle to find a single Tory policy that speaks to their concerns.

40 minutes ago, Ser Drewy said:

And that's just for a "not my king" with no swearing.

I don't particularly support the protests (but nor do I condemn them); but unlike QEII's funeral, this IS the right time and place.
I fully support their right to protest here and in this way.

I do NOT support the fascist policies seeking to ban them - these policies and OTT reactions have definitely shifted me into the anti-monarchy camp.

From Sky News:

It is the first time Prince Harry has been seen with his relatives in public since he criticised Charles, the Queen, William and the Princess of Wales in his memoir, Spare.”

Interesting that the men get referred to by name, and the women by title.

https://news.sky.com/story/prince-harry-and-prince-andrew-arrive-at-kings-coronation-12874392

2 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

I do NOT support the fascist policies seeking to ban them - these policies and OTT reactions have definitely shifted me into the anti-monarchy camp.

Pretty sure you  won't be the only one.

21 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Fantastic ceremony and parade.  Really well done. 

For £100 mill, I’d expect so.

Wonder what might have been a better use of that money?