US Politics: #Musky DeSaster

DMC

33 minutes ago, DMC said:

While Biden has maintained he has the authority to do it, both the White House and Yellen have been very clear they aren't going to use the 14th amendment argument. 

If they did, yes, it would most certainly go to court and - as you said - SCOTUS would almost certainly invoke an injunction very quickly.  How would they ultimately rule?  I dunno, it's a very weird case, but I wouldn't be optimistic.  And it's rather clear that the administration's reticence is because they aren't either.

Yeah, I don't really see it happening, so not sure why everyone is endlessly debating it. 

Thinking through the problem, the three obstacles to a clean debt ceiling raise are (i) the (slim) R House majority which means the Dems can't get to 218; (ii) the Speaker's power to thwart a bill from going to the floor even if it has 218 votes; (iii) the ability of Senate Republicans to filibuster and the (supposed) lack of 10 votes for a clean raise as set out in the Mike Lee letter with 43 R signatories. 

Biden could have tried to cut a deal with 4 or 5 House Republicans from Biden districts but that wouldn't solve problems (ii) and (iii) right? Even if we assume Senate Republicans are bluffing and will fold, McCarthy is not going to vote for his own execution by HFC.  And there are not 4-5 House Reps who are willing, at this moment, to cut out McCarthy and offer Biden a better deal.  They all voted to get McCarthy into the room with Biden. 

At the same time, I imagine that McCarthy will need to put up a significant number of votes to get any deal he gets through the House.  He may not have those votes, even if he secures a deal.  

Edited by Gaston de Foix

11 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

Biden could have tried to cut a deal with 4 or 5 House Republicans from Biden districts but that wouldn't solve problems (ii) and (iii) right?

House Dems have launched a discharge petition.  The problem, as you mentioned, is they're very likely to get any House Republicans to sign on.  Why would they?  McCarthy does appear to be getting Biden to move on certain things and probably end up gaining some concessions.  There's not a single House Republican member that wants to undermine that (well, outside the HFC I suppose).

As for the GOP Senate, well, McConnell folded twice in Biden's first two years.  If the House Dems are successful in passing a discharge petition (they won't), then I imagine McConnell could round up 8 GOP Senators to sign on.

But yeah, all these "plan Bs" don't seem very plausible to me.  In all likelihood, there's going to be a deal struck between Biden and McCarthy.  It's really just a matter of how much Biden will have to give up.

21 hours ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

This is one person.

And no, doesn’t agree with Biden on everything.  Taxes are a huge hang up.  Like a massive hang up.

I think the Nikki Haley thing is that she is viewed as the best of a bad lot in terms of “in the race so far.”  I don’t think it is thought through.

Sounds like my Dad.  

Gotta admit this response brought a tear to my eye. Shame more parents of queer kids can’t/don’t act so beautifully.

I felt an uncompromising rage at the republican senator weaponizing her family to try and cow people out of resisting her bigoted onslaught. Typical but still enraging.

Edited by Varysblackfyre321

"Do you want to see another investigation of Hillary and Bill Clinton?" Bartiromo wondered. "Because in the Durham report, John Durham wrote that while they were pursuing Trump, they made no effort to investigate the claim that Hillary Clinton was taking money from foreigners for her Clinton Global Initiative and the Clinton Foundation."

https://www.rawstory.com/jim-jordan-hillary-clinton/

Hillary was the first woman upon whom They began Their war on women.

In the meantime They have destroyed three of the major public universities.  This is huge and it's hardly even talked about: the University of Texas, the University of Wisconsin and the University of North Carolina.

Now "destroyed" may be somewhat of an exaggeration -- but you can now take guns into the classroom in TX ....

How bad is it?  An elected Republican in Florida is leaving Florida with his family because the state fees too dangerous.

16 minutes ago, Zorral said:

they made no effort to investigate the claim that Hillary Clinton was taking money from foreigners for her Clinton Global Initiative and the Clinton Foundation."

LOL.  This is just so remarkably - and obviously disingenuously - ignorant on its face it's ludicrous.  The Clinton Global Initiative, under the auspices of the Clinton Foundation, is a 501(c)(3) organization.  Which means it is entirely legal to accept donations from foreigners - or indeed fund foreign subsidiaries.

Further, you know what else is classified as 501(c)(3) in order to enjoy tax-exempt status?  Churches.  Love to see Jordan try to explain that one in terms of foreign investment.  What abjectly pathetic tools they are.

34 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

The NAACP has issued a travel advisory for the state of Florida. Basis being the hostility and significant risk of violation of the civil rights of African-Americans and the LGBTQ community.

If things keep up they’ll need to start publishing a “Green Book” again.  :( 

https://www.britannica.com/topic/The-Green-Book-travel-guide

4 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

No… I ment Zabzie and myself.  That said my Mom was 23 and my Dad was 24 when I was born.  I tend to roll my eyes when they (my Mom more than my Dad) tell their 52 year old son… “I’m a lot older than you…”

I was just giving you shit. That scene always cracks me up. I've got old parents, my dad had old parents, and if I ever find someone I'll be an old parent. Just happens that way sometimes. 

I remember my dad saying even when we were teenagers to me and my brother that he regretted not having us earlier..even though my parents had my older brother at ages 30 and 29, which sounds totally reasonable to me.  Especially considering the hold up was dad getting a physiology phd at Berkeley.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

I remember my dad saying even when we were teenagers to me and my brother that he regretted not having us earlier..even though my parents had my older brother at ages 30 and 29, which sounds totally reasonable to me.  Especially considering the hold up was dad getting a physiology phd at Berkeley.

I was 32 when my daughter was born. 35 when my son was born.  There are times I wish I had been younger.  I remember my parents being very active with me as a child.  I feel like I couldn’t offer my kids the same… 

My Mother was 46 when I graduated college.  I’ll be 54 when my daughter crosses the stage.

Edited by Ser Scot A Ellison

Oregon GOP may have shot themselves in the foot. Ten republican state senators barred from reelection because of repeated walkouts to halt legislation they disliked. Maybe, just maybe, the democrats might be able to win a few of these seats...or is that hoping for too much?

Bucking new law, 10 Oregon senators disqualified from reelection with boycott - oregonlive.com