US politics - wheeling and dealing, avoiding debt ceiling

43 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Evidently the Mark Meadows part of pleading guilty to some lesser federal felonies is true.

The second part ... it's still that, "we shall see, expect to see, we should expect to see ...."

I just hope they don't also give him immunity for the whole coup thing. Not cool for someone that high up, cooperation or not. But he seems to have a very good lawyer.

1 hour ago, Fez said:

Some of those messaging bills can be legit tough votes for Democrats. Some can even end up as law, like the DC criminal code recission. Biden didn't actually threaten a veto on the gas stove bill in his disapproval message.

Overturning the DC bill is a unique circumstance.  It's silly to use that as an example compared to regular order, it's simply not the same thing.  Biden didn't threaten a veto because as you yourself said he didn't have to.  It's never gonna reach a vote in a Democratic Senate.  So, no, stop acting like anything the House could pass would ever become law.

As for messaging bills being "tough votes" for House Democrats, I guess maybe?  But again, that's about position taking, not governing.  If a moderate House Dem felt squeezed on a bill the GOP House was going to pass, they could still just vote for it.  So..again, this is pretty irrelevant.

So... the GOP House could lose TWO seats - those of Meadows and Santos? And if the NY Democrats are even vaguely competent, they might be able to put a D in Santos's seat...of course that might be expecting too much. Two more, and the GOP could be in major trouble...

17 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

So... the GOP House could lose TWO seats - those of Meadows and Santos?

Meadows hasn't been a member of Congress since he took the job as Trump's Chief of Staff in early 2020.

35 minutes ago, DMC said:

Meadows hasn't been a member of Congress since he took the job as Trump's Chief of Staff in early 2020.

Drat. Well, maybe his testimony (if this thing is even real) will result in the removal of a few corrupt republican congressmen...

3 hours ago, DMC said:

Jack Smith has sent Trump a target letter.  I understand people are cynical about this, but this is a pretty clear signal that charges are most likely forthcoming.

To be clear that's fine and I'm not cynical, but that previous Twitter account has been known to stretch and sensationalize things greatly.

8 minutes ago, DMC said:

Pat Robertson finally died at 93.  Jerry Falwell died on my birthday 16 years ago, which was probably the best present I've ever got, but I'll take this one too.

Since it is my birthday today, thanks for the present.

31 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Per an NPR Report just blasted the SCOTUS has upheld the VRA regarding racial gerrymandering in an a Alabama case.  5-4 Roberts writing for the Majority.

https://www.npr.org/2023/06/08/1181002182/supreme-court-voting-rights

A major shock. Looks Kavanaugh was the other conservative in the majority. This is going to net Democrats an extra couple seats in the House.

27 minutes ago, Fez said:

A major shock. Looks Kavanaugh was the other conservative in the majority. This is going to net Democrats an extra couple seats in the House.

It’s extremely good news.  I think it may bode well for the “independent State Legislature” case out of North Carolina.

[thank you Ormond]

Edited by Ser Scot A Ellison

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

@DMC @maarsen

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

I think it's just Happy Birthday @maarsen

DMC said the farewell to Falwell party conincided with his Birthday (not judging on the theme of DMC Birthday party).

Falwell finally buggered off on the 15th of May. His post was open for interpretation.

I'd like to think he started to celebrate his birthday in May, and it's still going with substances of varying legal status. Impressive achievement, bro. But turn down the Kid Rock music, Florida has suffered enough. On second thought, blast it full volume!

2 hours ago, DMC said:

Pat Robertson finally died at 93.  Jerry Falwell died on my birthday 16 years ago, which was probably the best present I've ever got, but I'll take this one too.

Good fucking riddance. These political, evangelical shitheads like Falwell and Robertson could certainly be considered partly (or majorly, depending on your perspective) responsible for how terrible modern politics in the US is so yeah, good riddance.