US politics - wheeling and dealing, avoiding debt ceiling

13 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

When you realise you can't grift the left because they either have no money, or your targets see right through you, then you must pivot to grifting the right. It's clearly working to some extent, because she still has public profile, and public profile it what it's all about.

I believe there is a chance that Citizen T. would plead guilty if it kept him out of jail. He'd just turn around and say they had to let him go because he's innocent, in the same way his lawyers admitted in court they had no evidence of election fraud, but publicly claimed the opposite. Or like FoxNoose babbled about upholding the highest journalistic standards right after accepting a settlement. He wills things into existence, just repeat them often enough with a weird amount of details. It's worked for 60+ years.

Which is why Joe Biden kept 1850 classified documents. In Chinatown. Where they love China and don't speak English.

Edited by Mindwalker

1 hour ago, Mindwalker said:

I believe there is a chance that Citizen T. would plead guilty if it kept him out of jail. He'd just turn around and say they had to let him go because he's innocent, in the same way his lawyers admitted in court they had no evidence of election fraud, but publicly claimed the opposite. Or like FoxNoose babbled about upholding the highest journalistic standards right after accepting a settlement. He wills things into existence, just repeat them often enough with a weird amount of details. It's worked for 60+ years.

Which is why Joe Biden kept 1850 classified documents. In Chinatown. Where they love China and don't speak English.

I don’t see how Trump could be bound, Constitutionally, from running for POTUS… if he agrees to such in a plea deal.  I would absolutely expect him to tell the DOJ to go fuck itself after agreeing and run regardless of the agreement.

We should listen to Josh Marshall. "The conduct is so brazen and over the top that it would be virtually impossible for any prosecuting authority to decline to prosecute other than on the basis of Trump’s status giving him immunity from the law or for fear of the violence of his supporters."

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/learning-to-say-f-it-to-the-trump-flimflam

.... At a political rally yesterday Trump said this prosecution represented the “final battle.” The threat of violence in that statement speaks for itself. But this is Trump’s basic pattern. Everything is the final battle, the biggest this or that ever, the biggest surprise, the biggest hoax, the final showdown. It’s this hyped up, florid moral state that keeps his supporters spellbound and his foes constantly guessing and often off-balance.

It is wise not to participate in the reality distortion field the man whips up about him. This man is not the President. Yes, he is a leading candidate for President. But he declared his candidacy when he did to a great degree because he knew these charges were coming. Before the indictment and now more expansively in the indictment, it’s clear that these are far from technical violations of the law. They show a willful theft of government secrets, ongoing deception about the theft, continued efforts to deceive federal agents trying to recover the government’s secret documents. The conduct is so brazen and over the top that it would be virtually impossible for any prosecuting authority to decline to prosecute other than on the basis of Trump’s status giving him immunity from the law or for fear of the violence of his supporters.

Everyone knows these basic facts. His supporters can pretend otherwise. But they know it. So this is a normal and inevitable result of Trump’s own conduct. I refuse to pretend otherwise or indulge the charade that anyone who wants to argue the point doesn’t realize all of this is true. At heart they simply think Trump is different. He’s the leader. The law doesn’t apply to him. He’s too important for the law to apply to him. Since that is their position I’ll wait for them to say it out loud.

Will Trump diehards commit acts of violence? Maybe. But I’m going to wait to see them do it. I’m not going to pump up the psychic tenor of the moment based on what they hint they might do on Twitter. When a Freedom Caucus dead-ender like Clay Higgins hints at mobilizing a Trump guerrilla army I am going to properly refer to him as another terror-inciting degenerate and basically say, “Go for it.” That’s not taunt or bravado. It’s just a refusal to get psyched out. If that’s what you need to do, do it and we’ll go from there. I will assume federal authorities are taking all necessary precautions. And that’s it. If there’s another version of those feral goons plotting to kidnap Gretchen Whitmer, federal authorities will arrest them. ....

23 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I don’t see how Trump could be bound, Constitutionally, from running for POTUS… if he agrees to such in a plea deal.  I would absolutely expect him to tell the DOJ to go fuck itself after agreeing and run regardless of the agreement.

Hence why it will never be offered. I doubt many lawyers think this would work. You might have better luck just threatening to investigate Jared and Ivanka to hell with the wink wink if he doesn't pull out, but even then he'll just do what he wants most likely.  

And I will never stop brining this up, why is that motherfucker not already in jail for one of the most obvious examples of corruption ever? (i) Not qualified for a job he received via nepotism, (ii) after he was on the job it was pointed out by security he shouldn't be there, (iii) worked against the interest of the government for a foreign corrupt regime that murders people left and right, including a guest of the US, (iv) he's in so much debt and payments are about to come due, (v) his twisted father is in jail for all kinds of evil shit and (vi) all the debts his family had over a terrible deal magically went away because said foreign corrupt regime paid them off plus extra.

Like what the actual fuck? If Hunter Biden did some dirty shit he should go down too, but he's got nothing on what these two thieves have done (and don't forget Ivanka's special trademark deals in China and elsewhere).  

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

Hence why it will never be offered. I doubt many lawyers think this would work. You might have better luck just threatening to investigate Jared and Ivanka to hell with the wink wink if he doesn't pull out, but even then he'll just do what he wants most likely.  

And I will never stop brining this up, why is that motherfucker not already in jail for one of the most obvious examples of corruption ever? 

I don't know.  What's the point of an office of a DOJ Public Integrity if you can cover up for a foreign potentate's murder of a US resident and walk away with $2 billion baksheesh.  Merrick Garland has been a timid and disappointing AG. 

11 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

I don't know.  What's the point of an office of a DOJ Public Integrity if you can cover up for a foreign potentate's murder of a US resident and walk away with $2 billion baksheesh.  Merrick Garland has been a timid and disappointing AG. 

The point is to be able to say that you're a democracy based on laws but not actually be one. That gives the people who are kinda sorta not wanting to do a whole lot about this cover to continue to not give a shit. 

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Just to be clear, I think asking him not to run as part of a get-out-opf-jail-free card would be wrong on many levels.

Good one, New Yorker!

HBO Max Becomes Max, Ron DeSantis Becomes . . . Rhonda Santis?
Can other nomenclatural switcheroos offer clues as to how the Florida governor should pronounce his last name, or what to call the Tappan Zee bridge?

Another suggestion via Partner: "Ron the Guantánamo Giggler"

1 hour ago, Gaston de Foix said:

Was there any doubt this would be the case? He's a boy scout's boy scout in a time where we need knife fighters in these positions. 

One wonders about all those gung ho weekend warriors howling there will be blood running in the streets in the defense of the bobbing orange wighead, that Jan6 will be a playground in comparison: um, you all might well be surprised then when met by professional peace keepers the moment you show up.

31 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

I know that legally speaking they’re relatively insignificant, but a part of my soul hopes that Trump goes to jail for ‘making false statements’. It would be the most specifically just conviction in history. 

Part of me thinks Trump in jail will look like George Sr. from Arrested Development. 

You really can't make this shit up.  Remember when I said he might take a plea deal like, about one post ago? Well, he told politico he might, under one condition: If they "pay me some damages." LMAO. The Art Of The Deal I guess.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/06/10/trump-vows-to-stay-in-the-race-even-if-convicted-00101403

My favorite part, however:

Then Trump headed to the airport, where he posed for pictures with police officers.

Edited by Mindwalker

58 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Part of me thinks Trump in jail will look like George Sr. from Arrested Development. 

Except George actually was innocent and really was a patsy!

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Except George actually was innocent and really was a patsy!

For Trump, it's not a lie if you believe it. :P But the odds of Melania coming to "visit" him should be set very low.

1 hour ago, Ferocious Veldt Roarer said:

Ah, all the appropriate quotes!
"There's a chance I might have committed some light treason."
"I get the worst fucking attorneys!"

He's guilty of medium to heavy treason!