US politics: just for you

Rippounet

32 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I'd bet on following Dead & Company during the summer break since it's their "last" tour. I mean who the fuck wants to spend the summer in Florida anyway?

I take his moving there as a board failure. We let him down, somehow.

13 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

I take his moving there as a board failure. We let him down, somehow.

Is Tampa really that much worse than Pittsburgh? You have to trade in the better politics for more sun and sure, there's statistically a 700% increase in the likelihood you'll either be shot, attacked by someone on PCP and/or bitten by someone on synthetic weed, but at least he didn't move to Jacksonville. That's when we truly would have failed him.

1 hour ago, Gaston de Foix said:

Is DMC OK? Not visiting forum is probably a sign of wisdom and growth etc., but I have wondered where he is especially since it's possibly summer vacay from work for him....

I've been wondering a lot.

1 hour ago, Gaston de Foix said:

explusion, not censure is the right remedy for Santos.

There's no way the Dems would be able to get the votes for expulsion.  The fascists voted to censure D-Adam Schiff last month... so there is that too.

https://www.npr.org/2023/06/21/1183564794/schiff-censure-house-republicans

The state NY politicos are al in with doing in Santos, which is a whole other thing, even (most of the) Republicans.

https://thehill.com/opinion/national-security/4100188-us-public-support-for-ukraine-remains-stronger-than-ever/

Recent polling by the Reagan Institute from June 2023 reveals a compelling story: A clear majority of Americans — three-quarters, in fact — believe it is important to the United States that Ukraine wins the war against Russia, a sentiment that transcends partisan divisions, with 86 percent of Democrats, 71 percent of Republicans and 58 percent of independents expressing their support.

Who would have thought independents would be the largest pro-Russia bloc?*, **

*not answering "yes" to that question doesn't automatically make you pro-Russia. Just like voting for Trump doesn't automatically make you facist***

** being independent doesn't mean you can't be a bit nuts, but perhaps a bit surprising that you could be more nuts than people who choose to identify by a party affiliation.****

***voting for Trump does mean you have either consciously voted in favour of facism or you are such a low information voter that you don't realise you have voted for a facism.

**** I've never understood party affiliation as part of voter registration, so I think that is kinda nuts on its face.

6 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Is Tampa really that much worse than Pittsburgh? You have to trade in the better politics for more sun and sure, there's statistically a 700% increase in the likelihood you'll either be shot, attacked by someone on PCP and/or bitten by someone on synthetic weed, but at least he didn't move to Jacksonville. That's when we truly would have failed him.

Something about this reasoning feels off but I can’t put my finger on what exactly that is. Anyways, I’ve ~ lived in Florida too, but I’m not sure if it counts before puberty…that seems to be when the Florida gene activates, and suddenly instead of reading a good book or going out to a dinner with friends, you have this overwhelming urge to throw an alligator through a fast food drive-through window, at speed. I’m talking a desire to do that MUCH stronger than that atavistic urge we all feel from time to time. If Florida got rid of gators and drive-throughs, I’ll bet it’d cut the crime rate in half. Florida is actually pretty middle of the road when it comes to violent crime rates (at least officially) but it leads by a country mile in what legal analysts call ‘Florida type crimes’ and my research reveals that over 2/3rds of ‘Florida crimes’ involve one of either an alligator or a drive-through, and weirder still over 85% involve both. 

Maybe that’s what DMC has gone down to fight, the plight of the Florida Crime criminal. It can’t be about weed; he went from illegal state to illegal state. Maybe…I think I’m starting to see it…maybe he sees these issues as linked. You’re a lot less likely to have the urge or energy to throw a decently sized alligator through a standard sized drive-through window while passing at some speed when on weed. Any individual component of the classic Florida Crime crime is indeed likely to prove a fridge too far.

Except for the drive through, but people on weed who manage to make it to a drive through window for food are usually either trying to remember why they’re there, laughing at the memory of that time they almost told a really funny story, worried they have been there for hours when it’s really only been 4 minutes, trying to pay with their gym membership card or just eating like rescued castaways. Anyways, point being, maybe this is his life’s purpose. Maybe beneath that cynical, faded, jaded been-there-done-that-told-the-t-shirt-vendor-to-go-fuck-himself exterior beats the heart of an impassioned crusader for the underdog of underdogs, the Florida Crime criminal. 

That or it’s all on us. And by ‘us’ I mean Kal, Jace and you. 

Edited by James Arryn

12 hours ago, Zorral said:

I've been wondering a lot.

There's no way the Dems would be able to get the votes for expulsion.  The fascists voted to censure D-Adam Schiff last month... so there is that too.

Yeah, I agree with that.  So the choice was between losing a vote on expulsion or having no vote (and forcing NY Republicans to defend that) and letting them point to the censure in their campaigns.  Censure is any easy out for them.  It makes Santos less likely to hold his seat but he's doomed anyway.  It's the rest of the NY cabal we need to kick out.  

14 hours ago, James Arryn said:

Something about this reasoning feels off but I can’t put my finger on what exactly that is.

Hmmmmmm.  Seems somebody has really dug deep in the weed to write this screed.  :thumbsup:

Me, I shall indeed stick with chilled vino and cerveza in this weather.  Others -- Partner and his many many like-minds and it smells like all the rest of the city -- can huff and puff and gummy, etc. all they like.  Ugh.

Well...on the one hand, I suppose this *could* be considered a conservative effort to address the insurance issue in Florida. However, it is a monumentally stupid effort.  I find myself wondering if this...farce...might not actually make it into a courtroom...

My take is that if Conservatives don't come up with a credible solution to the insurance issue, it will cost them come election time. 

When this happened, Patronis threatened to investigate and fine Farmers Insurance. He also called the company “the Bud Light of insurance” in a press release criticizing the company’s strategy shift in Florida. The beer reference is often a jab at TikTok influencer Dylan Mulvaney, a trans woman who was featured in a sponsored promotion for the company. People on the right were enraged and began to call the beer brand “woke” for daring not to be transphobic.

Patronis was featured on CNBC’s Squawk Box this week to discuss his comments on Farmers Insurance. During the segment, he said that Farmers Insurance was too focused on “ESG”, which stands for “environmental, social, and corporate governance.” It’s a practice that encourages investments using social and environmental principles, but to some right-leaning politicians ESGs in business are apparently part of “Satan’s plan.”

Florida Man Blames 'Wokeness' for Fragile Insurance Market (msn.com)

26 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

Why yes, the politically powerful can declare reality is what they prefer with the wave of a sharpie.  No need for scientists, technologists, physicians, teachers, or even wizards.

Funny though they don't deny the reality of private military forces.

Edited by Zorral

It's like Trump wants to commit all the crimes:

Ancient artefacts sent from Israel to the US four years ago on a short-term basis and intended for display at a White House event have ended up at Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago estate in Florida, according to a report.

The Israeli daily Haaretz reported on Tuesday that antiquities including ancient ceramic oil lamps, part of Israel’s national treasures collection, were shipped to Washington DC with the approval of the then director of the Israel Antiquities Authority, Israel Hasson, for use in a Hanukah candle-lighting event at the White House. The event took place in December 2019, when Trump was in office.

In the end, the oil lamps were not displayed due to US concerns that they may have been taken from the Israeli-occupied West Bank. The antiquities authority’s plan to have the clay candelabra returned via a special courier was disrupted, however, by the outbreak of Covid-19 in early 2020. The pandemic resulted in the artefacts getting “stuck” in the US, since officials did not want to risk using regular shipping channels to return the treasures.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/jul/18/treasures-lent-by-israel-for-white-house-event-stranded-at-mar-a-lago-donald-trump

Talk about brazen, dumb and pointless. 

3 hours ago, Kalnak the Magnificent said:

The WH whistleblower tells of a story where Stephen Miller asked a Coast Guard Admiral whether they could use Predator drones to 'obliterate' boats containing migrants since it wasn't technically within US territory and they wouldn't be governed by the US constitution. The Admiral pointed out that it would be against international law, but I wonder how many such conversations took place while the whistleblower wasnt in attendance. If you arent on their team, they have no empathy for you.

Trump under investigation for civil rights conspiracy in January 6 inquiry
Federal prosecutors say they have evidence to charge Trump with three crimes over efforts to overturn 2020 election

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/jul/19/trump-investigation-three-federal-crimes-january-6

Federal prosecutors investigating Donald Trump’s efforts to overturn the 2020 election results have evidence to charge the former president with three crimes, including section 241 of the US legal code that makes it unlawful to conspire to violate civil rights, two people familiar with the matter said.

The potential charges detailed in a target letter sent to Trump by prosecutors from the office of special counsel Jack Smith, who also charged Trump with retaining classified documents last month, was the clearest signal of an imminent indictment.

Trump’s lawyers are asking at a pre-trial conference in Fort Pierce, Florida, to delay the trial until after the 2024 election
Judge appears inclined to delay Trump classified documents trial into 2024
Read more
Prosecutors appear to have evidence to charge Trump with obstruction of an official proceeding and conspiracy to defraud the United States based on the target letter, two statutes that the House select committee examining the January 6 Capitol attack issued criminal referrals for last year.

The target letter to Trump identified a previously unconsidered third charge, the sources said. That is section 241 of title 18 of the US code, which makes it unlawful to conspire to threaten or intimidate a person in the “free exercise” of any right or privilege under the “Constitution or laws of the United States”.

The statute, enacted to protect the civil rights of Black voters targeted by white supremacy groups after the US civil war, is unusual because it is typically used by prosecutors in law enforcement misconduct and hate crime prosecutions, though its use has expanded in recent years.

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Talk about brazen, dumb and pointless. 

Considering how secure M-A-L is,  :rolleyes: they could be stolen, broken, some sent to other properties, or gathering dust in some unlocked storeroom and exposed to Florida's humid tropical climate.  This is revolting.  ettd

edt: also sold off, as I'm sure they are priceless

Edited by LongRider

44 minutes ago, LongRider said:

Considering how secure M-A-L is,  :rolleyes: they could be stolen, broken, some sent to other properties, or gathering dust in some unlocked storeroom and exposed to Florida's humid tropical climate.  This is revolting.  ettd

edt: also sold off, as I'm sure they are priceless

Just another example that we're living in the dumbest timeline. No one would believe him if he was the main character of a Mel Brooks movie. President Skroob wasn't even this ridiculously incompetent or corrupt. 

19 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Just another example that we're living in the dumbest timeline. No one would believe him if he was the main character of a Mel Brooks movie. President Skroob wasn't even this ridiculously incompetent or corrupt. 

I do feel closer to some kind of dystopian outcome than I ever expected to experience.

But that’s been true for everyone who goes through it. F Scott Fitzgerald and Hemingway were partying it up in Paris before the Nazis came, if you get me…real life goes sideways, sometimes in major ways. Maybe it’s connected with becoming a parent, maybe slightly more so with girls, but I often wonder just what we’ve brought them into, how selfish that might have been. Authoritarianism has risen before in places much less comfortable with that dynamic than America, it really shouldn’t be surprising if you pay attention to history, but we often unconsciously subtract ourselves from general truths.