Ukraine: Breakthroughs… the vast majority of us hope…

28 minutes ago, dog-days said:

That was slightly faster than expected. Putin must feel sure he's got Wagner under control.

And actually, I don’t think Putin was getting enough Wagner troops enlisting in his forces.  He obviously needs those troops, so this could be forcing the issue.

1 minute ago, Padraig said:

Prigozhin seemed very naive but that word shouldn’t be used against such a man.  Someday we’ll learn what was really going on.

I mean... that's the same guy that apparently thought making an armed bum-rush to the capital would lead to the defense minister he has a feud with get replaced... Since it's the only motivation that makes at least a bit of sense for him to just fold and think he could get away with it... Him being absurdly naive/deluded of his own irreplacibility makes as much sense as anything.

The last years of international politics have taught me that we are indeed in the dumbest possible timeline and suspecting rational motivations behind utter stupidity only leads to empty conspiracy theories. Life makes more sense, even if it's baffling, if you assume that stupidity is as good a reason as any for stupid things to happen.

16 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Maybe this'll increase the value of Russian-made missiles on the international arms markets after a post-Ukraine trough. 

I'm assuming a missile was used rather than a bomb. 

5 minutes ago, dog-days said:

Maybe this'll increase the value of Russian-made missiles on the international arms markets after a post-Ukraine trough. 

I'm assuming a missile was used rather than a bomb. 

You can see what looks like the contrail of the missile in one of the videos on the last page. 

1 hour ago, Ran said:

Holy shit, that footage is absolutely insane. Has anyone knocked out a translation of what the woman is saying?

It's mostly a stream of assorted profanities, but near the beginning, she says that the drone (which she believes the falling object to be) was shot down -- she heard two explosions before it fell. It does not occur to her that anyone in the area would shoot down a passenger jet.

2 hours ago, Maithanet said:

Come at the king, you best not miss. 

RIP Michael K. Williams

It was to the young Oliver Wendell Holmes, the future Supreme Court justice, who tried to refute Plato,that Ralph Waldo Emerson wrote, ''When you strike at a king, you must kill him.'' 

https://libquotes.com/ralph-waldo-emerson/quote/lbm1l0a

Omar was more highly educated, than he generally got credit for.

Edited by Zorral

Goodnight my sweet wouldbe prince, you just flew too high, but not high enough for the Russian Air Defense.

Anyway...

Wagner leadership travelling in the same plane, now that's a lemming move, if there ever was one.

7 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

faked his death

Probably that was the second thing most of us considered.  :cheers:  That's how things roll these daze, and everybody lies.

ATC just literally at this moment is considering this. Their expert gives all credit though, to Putin, who believes "revenge is a dish best served cold."

A day for hoary quotes wrt Ukraine, you betcha!

Edited by Zorral

17 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

If it was inexplicably dumb of Prigozhin, do you suppose he faked his death? Was it confirmed that he was on the plane?

He does have a second plane that was in the air at the same time. I suppose it is possible that he was on that plane. But it seems pretty likely he's dead.

What an unbelievably stupid man. He inexplicably folded during his one shot at victory and then seemed to think he'd actually be safe to just roam Russia?!

So here I assume Prigozhin has left the board, what does this mean for Wagner in Africa, and for Africa generally.  Woo! this even while the BRIC is in session!

Saw all over the news yesterday that the Wagner troops were leaving Belarus in large numbers, heading back to Russia.

https://kyivindependent.com/national-resistance-center-wagner-fighters-leave-belarus-due-to-low-pay/

11 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

If it was inexplicably dumb of Prigozhin, do you suppose he faked his death? Was it confirmed that he was on the plane?

I think it was just dumb, massively inflated ego led him to believe he was safe. He has been flying around all over the place so has given Putin multiple opportunities. The only way I think he could still be alive is if someone tipped him off. Overall a good thing, I did not want him in charge of Russia, just as evil as Putin and more in touch with what is actually happening (although apparently not overly so).

38 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Goodnight my sweet wouldbe prince, you just flew too high, but not high enough for the Russian Air Defense.

Anyway...

Wagner leadership travelling in the same plane, now that's a lemming move, if there ever was one.

They should have learned after half the government of Poland went out the same way...