MCU - This Thread Wasn’t Made For You

DaveSumm

1 hour ago, IlyaP said:

Today I learned that famed composer five-time Emmy-winning composer Laura Karpman, responsible for among other things, the music from EverQuest II, has taken over the scoring duties for The Marvels from Pinar Toprak. As a huge fan of Karpman's music, I am further invested in seeing this movie, if only to hear her music.

So they're rescoring a movie that comes out in 5 days?

On 11/3/2023 at 2:52 PM, Werthead said:

I also saw a suggestion that maybe one of the drafts had a female POV character who acts as someone to bounce exposition off, serving the same function as Dr. Jensen did in the original Blade, but Blade was still central in the script (this led to a Twitter debate over whether OG Blade would today be considered too "woke"), which had been misinterpreted - deliberately or accidentally - for rage clicks.

I want off this fucking planet.

Also, run-on sentence. Not the best I've seen on these boards, but still impressive. 

Given how Marvel loves doing cameo's and callbacks, what are the chances that they'll bring Traci Lords in to make an appearance?

There was also pushback on the idea that The Marvels' director bailed for another project out of disinterest or apathy. The delays and reshoots on The Marvels pushed up against the date that the director had committed to her next project, even taken into consideration the buffer usually allocated to films just in case of that sort of thing, necessitating some overlap, which is not unusual in film work (that cued a lengthy digression on how Spielberg somehow shot Schindler's List whilst overseeing post, editing and CG on Jurassic Park). 

He did the same thing with The Post and Ready Player One IIRC. 'Took a few months off on post production for the latter to shit out the former. 

Are MCU directors even allowed in the editing room at this point? These are studio driven films (as the Variety article acknowledges), with numerous tweaks being made along the way based on production notes and test screenings; with weeks of reshoots scheduled well in advance of completion of principal photography. Guaranteed the studio has final cut on all those films. 

1 hour ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

He did the same thing with The Post and Ready Player One IIRC. 'Took a few months off on post production for the latter to shit out the former. 

There's been some push-back against the article, including a screenwriter involved with Blade who says the "female costarts making Blade a secondary character" is unfounded and never happened.

As for the departure to work on another movie - it's been made clear several times now that her Hedda movie had a scheduled start time which reshoots and further work on The Marvels overlapped with near the end, so it's a bit misleading to say she left the movie when it was a case of overlapping contractual obligations. 

2 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Are MCU directors even allowed in the editing room at this point? These are studio driven films (as the Variety article acknowledges), with numerous tweaks being made along the way based on production notes and test screenings; with weeks of reshoots scheduled well in advance of completion of principal photography. Guaranteed the studio has final cut on all those films. 

I think some are more influential than others - like Taika Waititi and James Gunn, which shows in their films too as those ones are far less generic. Same with Sam Raimi. But yeah others, especially The Marvels, look more generic and a ‘director for hire’ type film. 

5 hours ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

I think some are more influential than others - like Taika Waititi and James Gunn, which shows in their films too as those ones are far less generic. Same with Sam Raimi. But yeah others, especially The Marvels, look more generic and a ‘director for hire’ type film. 

For better or worse, The Eternals very much feels like a Chloe Zhao film and she's a relatively new director. If anything the random, clearly reshot stuff to connect it to the MCU, hurt the film in the long run. I'm talking about stuff like the great dinner scene where the characters were catching up and then randomly start talking about "who's going to lead the Avengers now", lol

5 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

On a side note, I finally caught The Eternals on a flight, which is the perfect medium for it as it works as an enjoyable airplane movie. Same with Shang Chi. But definitely not worth the theatrical experience. I think only Guardians and the Spider-Man films have merited that lately. 

I honestly think Eternals would have worked a lot better if it wasn't connected to the MCU. It's a shame Marvel doesn't have the courage to do else world, type stories. They're insistent that everything be connected, even when it logically doesn't make sense.

1 hour ago, karaddin said:

The enormous celestial sticking out of the middle of the ocean just being forgotten certainly doesn't enhance the feelings of connectivity across the franchise

I do appreciate how the Chitauri invasion ended up factoring in all sorts of weird places in a bunch of movies down the road. It wasn't in everything but people brought it up, it was a big deal, etc. Just like the blip was, though really needed that to be its own thing.

That celestial hand...I'm just assuming that most people believe it to be a hoax or something. Or, more likely, Marvel/Disney really wants to just bury Eternals in the sand and never think about it again. 

I'd say its hard to claim something is a hoax when its easily verified by looking out the window on a trans...Pacific? Atlantic? flight, but plenty of people irl manage to think that about things that are also quite thoroughly verified. But yeah, the light references was all it would have taken for me, I didn't need entire stories structured around the psychological impact of finding out Earth was essentially an egg, just a few throw away references.

Eh. Would have probably been nice in Black Panther 2 with the mermen.  Maybe Shang Chi since it was in the South Pacific. 

But otherwise I don’t know a lot of other times I need it mentioned.

On 11/3/2023 at 4:52 PM, Werthead said:

Apparently it would take some hardcore editing to do that*.

(That = Use season 2 to wipe Kang)

Just have Loki grab a fistful of Infinity Stones from that drawer and wish Kang away. ;)

Edited by Myrddin

12 hours ago, karaddin said:

I'd say its hard to claim something is a hoax when its easily verified by looking out the window on a trans...Pacific? Atlantic? flight, but plenty of people irl manage to think that about things that are also quite thoroughly verified. But yeah, the light references was all it would have taken for me, I didn't need entire stories structured around the psychological impact of finding out Earth was essentially an egg, just a few throw away references.

Indian Ocean, so less air traffic I think, but should be plenty of ship traffic.

But I'm less bothered about that. I would would have liked a story about some corporation wanting to mine the statue for resources and doing shady things, but that story hasn't come yet. In a world that has seen alien invasions and the wiping out in thin air of half the population only for that population to reappear 5 years later, a dead giant alien in the ocean would make headlines for a week, tops.

57 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

Indian Ocean, so less air traffic I think, but should be plenty of ship traffic.

But I'm less bothered about that. I would would have liked a story about some corporation wanting to mine the statue for resources and doing shady things, but that story hasn't come yet. In a world that has seen alien invasions and the wiping out in thin air of half the population only for that population to reappear 5 years later, a dead giant alien in the ocean would make headlines for a week, tops.

Considering that Knowhere is a dead Celestial's head and they have been mining that for thousands of years... I'd say this one ought to be pretty valuable.

But you know what, give it a few years and they may do a movie about Michael Keaton running a salvage company to mine it as a central story point.  :dunno: 

I didn't hate Eternals (rewatched it a few weeks ago) but I agree that I wish it were not required to be connected to a greater continuity.

Not just the huge marble hand reaching out of the ocean, but the entire mythos that we're a farm planet for big robots, and the very tired trope that every successful civilization was merely the result of attractive (mostly white) Super People guiding us. Just silly throughout and pretty much every major MCU plot can be answered with "ya Well what about the Eternals?". 

Then again Loki and the Multiverse and all have also jumped the shark with any logic as well. Soon enough they'll figure out a weak way to explain XMen and mutants without mentioning Eternals, Blips, Multiverses, Aliens, Nordic gods, Wakanda, and whatever other absurdities that make the original Iron Man movie totally ridiculous all things considered.

All this was inevitable of course; no kid collecting comics in the 80s used the word "continuity" and the MCU in general will increasingly not be able to hold all this crap together.

1 hour ago, Argonath Diver said:

All this was inevitable of course; no kid collecting comics in the 80s used the word "continuity" and the MCU in general will increasingly not be able to hold all this crap together.

We're watching the loom implode right in front of our very eyes!!!  You thought the end of She-Hulk was meta?  Check this out!

4 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

Isn't the supposed plot of Captain America 4 supposed to have something to do with the Celestial hand...?

And Eternals would have worked better if it had been set in the 19th century...barring the hand thing...and had them end it in a way that put them all on ice of some sort to explain away them missing in the present and leaving them available if needed for more later on, but nicely tucked away in case the film didn't work...

Marvels director Nia DaCosta has responded to Variety's write-up about her post-production work on The Marvels. Nothing surprising here, aside from being a second item that's been disputed and clarified in a way that Variety really ought to have done in their initial piece: https://gizmodo.com/nia-dacosta-captain-marvel-2-production-controversy-1850995316

3 hours ago, Argonath Diver said:

All this was inevitable of course: no kid collecting comics in the 80s used the word "continuity" and the MCU in general will increasingly not be able to hold all this crap together.

You and I remember the 80s very differently.