R.I.P. Thread 3: A Celebration Of Lives Well Lived

Nictarion

2 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Yeah, I'm seeing it everywhere as well. Crazy.

Who the hell is Chandler Bong? Is he in cahoots with a yuppie Cheech Marin?

No, that's Tommy Chong, who is afaik fortunately alive and well.

7 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

No idea who this is, but if he is good enough for Ron Swanson. 

He's one of the greatest college basketball coaches ever and also one of the biggest assholes to ever live. The chair throwing incident is funny, but he did mistreat so many people over a five decade career. 

Edited by Tywin et al.

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

He's one of the greatest college basketball coaches ever and also one of the biggest assholes to ever live. The chair throwing incident is funny, but he did mistreat so many people over a five decade career. 

I adore all sports. But the weird fetish for college sports in America blows my mind. 

College sports, I get.

But there is some true insanity around high school sports, especially high school football in places like Texas. Single game record for a high school football game was set in 1977 when Plano High School played Port Neches-Groves high school in 1977 for the state championship. Almost 50,000 people in the stands.

5 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

There are parts of the south where college football is bigger than the NFL. 

This isn't just the South, it's many places where there isn't an obvious NFL team to support.

I have often told people that when I lived in Ann Arbor, Michigan, I didn't think I could move to a place where college football was more important. But in moving to Nebraska, I managed it. On fall Saturdays when there is a University of Nebraska football game being played in Lincoln, so many people from Omaha are down in Lincoln that stores and restaurants here are empty compared with a normal Saturday. And wearing red during football season is a big thing for most Nebraskans, even many who have never been UNL students.

1 hour ago, Ormond said:

This isn't just the South, it's many places where there isn't an obvious NFL team to support.

I have often told people that when I lived in Ann Arbor, Michigan, I didn't think I could move to a place where college football was more important. But in moving to Nebraska, I managed it. On fall Saturdays when there is a University of Nebraska football game being played in Lincoln, so many people from Omaha are down in Lincoln that stores and restaurants here are empty compared with a normal Saturday. And wearing red during football season is a big thing for most Nebraskans, even many who have never been UNL students.

Central plains, sure.

I nearly died in Nebraska once. 

See, there's this thing about Nebraska farm trucks, see? They like to take it reaaaal easy, yeah? I was on one of them state highways heading down to Kansas, on my way to Oklahoma, and I was behind one of these farm trucks. You know, "like you do".

Then, he gets to braking. Braking for railroad tracks that cross those state roads from time to time. He gets to braking nearly to a complete stop on this state road where the speed limit is 55 mph. I brake along with him only I have to do it a little harder because of reaction times and whatnot. You know how it is. 

Then I happen to glance in my rear view mirror. I see a fully loaded 18 wheeler bearing down on me. I see this 18 wheeler heading for the shoulder, on his way to the ditch, because his reaction time is even worse than mine and his vehicle handles like a battleship. I close my eyes...

How the hell that didn't end in a massive accident I still could not tell you.

Inches. It was inches.

ETA: only slightly worse than Saskatchewan.

Edited by Deadlines? What Deadlines?

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/2/2023 at 12:09 PM, BigFatCoward said:

I adore all sports. But the weird fetish for college sports in America blows my mind. 

Maybe because for the most part, Europe doesn't have this group of sports?

We here, see Europeans and their fetish with Soccer/Football in much the the same way.