Star Wars: You Must Be Over 18 (Midichlorians) To Enter

DaveSumm

4 hours ago, dog-days said:

Yep, Filoni is the reason anyone's at all happy or excited to see Anakin back in Ahsoka. He managed to make him occasionally likeable instead of a green screen acrobat that massacres Sand People and kids while pouting; plus, showing how Palpatine groomed him and infiltrated his mind steadily. 

This really isn't true. Again, if the prequels were your formative thing as a kid you often adored Anakin. There is a lot of fan craze around him out there, especially for his skills in dueling.

Also i would say that mandalorian - with its cloning story and buildup to the first order - is precisely the kind of thing that clone wars was and wouldn't be possible without the ST. 

7 minutes ago, Kalnak the Magnificent said:

Also i would say that mandalorian - with its cloning story and buildup to the first order - is precisely the kind of thing that clone wars was and wouldn't be possible without the ST. 

I didn’t get that vibe at all- it’s got more characters and references from the OT and the PT/clone wars, than anything at all from the ST.Would’ve been very much possible to make it right after the PTs 

7 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

I didn’t get that vibe at all- it’s got more characters and references from the OT and the PT/clone wars, than anything at all from the ST.Would’ve been very much possible to make it right after the PTs 

Not really, because it would have restricted what stories any ST folks could tell in the future. And all the Gideon stuff with force cloning and praetorian guards is directly from the ST. In addition the new republic sucking ass is also from the ST - there's a whole class of storyline that don't work without them being wildly stupid.

2 hours ago, Kalnak the Magnificent said:

Wait, where does the First Order gets mentioned in The Mandalorian? Aside one hologram dude in the latest season looking like wearing a predecessor First Order uniform, it's all just Imperial Remnant stuff freely borrowed from the EU. Including the Dark Troopers. The Mandalorian doesn't dare building any bridges to the ST. Heck, even the New Republic being a train wreck isn't exactly new. Reading the New Jedi Order Books and seeing Leia get the boot with wild accusations from power hungry senators of having a human supremacy mindset for daring to take charge in a crisis they don't take seriously is quite harrowing.

I know in the Legion of Doom meeting, at the end of season 3 of Mando, one of the admirals, mentions "project necromancer", I WONDER WHAT HE COULD POSSIBLY BE TALKING ABOUT. I hate that Dave Filoni now has to try and make sense out of Abrams horrible writing. Couldn't they have just given him the sequel trilogy from the start? The guy honestly loves Star Wars, more than a hack fraud like Abrams, who is basically the master of remaking classic films, only much worse and less interesting.

34 minutes ago, sifth said:

I know in the Legion of Doom meeting, at the end of season 3 of Mando, one of the admirals, mentions "project necromancer", I WONDER WHAT HE COULD POSSIBLY BE TALKING ABOUT. I hate that Dave Filoni now has to try and make sense out of Abrams horrible writing. Couldn't they have just given him the sequel trilogy from the start? The guy honestly loves Star Wars, more than a hack fraud like Abrams, who is basically the master of remaking classic films, only much worse and less interesting.

I really don’t understand the love that Filoni gets. What did he actually do that was so good? Ok I haven’t properly watched Rebels but I endured all of Clone Wars and I can’t point to many genuinely good stories in the entire run and some of the bigger story threads like Mandalore and Darth Maul I kind of hated. 

Then the actual Mandalorian show itself was never good because of its story, more the vibes. It’s always had a problem in that the plot was just not very interesting and the more plot heavy it became the worse it was.

The less said about Book of Boba Fett the better.

So why is he held in such high regard? Is it just due to comparisons to Lucas and JJ that even a mild level of competence makes someone seem like a genius. 

54 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

So why is he held in such high regard? Is it just due to comparisons to Lucas and JJ that even a mild level of competence makes someone seem like a genius. 

Kinda I guess. As mentioned before, he did more work with Anakin in CW than Lucas did in three films. I think Mando Season 1 was excellent, the best Star Wars content since Empire. But I kinda agree the more plot it has the more bogged down it’s gotten. I certainly would’ve been interested to see his version of the ST, though I still haven’t heard a convincing story idea that anyone’s ST needs to exist at all. 

List of theaters showing Ahsoka episode 5

AMC Assembly Row 12 in Boston, MA
        Showing at 8 PM on September 12
    AMC Showplace Village Crossing 18 in Chicago, IL
        Showing at 7 PM on September 12
    AMC NorthPark 15 IMAX in Dallas, TX
        Showing at 7 PM on September 12
    AMC The Grove 14 in Los Angeles, CA
        Showing at 5 PM on September 12
    AMC Empire 25 IMAX in New York, NY
    AMC Disney Springs 24 with Dine-in Theaters in Orlando, FL
    AMC Neshaminy 24 in Philadelphia, PA
    AMC Bay Street 16 in San Francisco, CA
    AMC Loews Alderwood Mall 16 in Seattle, WA
    AMC Tysons Corner 16 in Washington, DC

18 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

think Mando Season 1 was excellent, the best Star Wars content since Empire. But I kinda agree the more plot it has the more bogged down it’s gotten.

I really liked that first season but it wasn’t because of any over arching plot, a lot of my enjoyment came from it just being a pretty lightweight and fun show that gave me my nostalgia hit. Definitively as soon as the show started going off on things like Mandalore and Dark Sabres I checked out. 

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

To each their own, but I really liked Clone Wars. I watched it all during lock down and it was honestly some of the best Star Wars I've seen in ages. Anakin actually felt like a hero, which is something Lucas was never able to accomplish.

Edited by sifth

2 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Definitively as soon as the show started going off on things like Mandalore and Dark Sabres I checked out. 

Same, Heartofice, same. The general blandness of The Book of Bobba Fett didn't help matters either. It's resulted in us being very meh towards the Mandalorian and having not watched anything after the first or possibly second episode of season 2, because it was clearly being bogged down in mountains of lore. 

This is the problem we're now having with Ahsoka, which requires some understanding of the Clone Wars and Rebels series, which is in total, what, 11 seasons worth of episodes? That's a big time investment to watch a live action show, which combined with how wooden the acting has been, has resulted in us dropping Ahsoka from our list of stuff to watch, and instead plowing through Schitt's Creek and Wheel of Time. 

As much as I might be a lore fanboy, it really can just bog storytelling down. 

3 hours ago, sifth said:

To each their own, but I really liked Clone Wars. I watched it all during lock down and it was honestly some of the best Star Wars I've seen in ages. Anakin actually felt like a hero, which is something Lucas was never able to accomplish.

This ^

IMO, the PT had the bones of a really interesting story and added so much more to the worldbuilding (even if the execution was not great etc etc (but I grew up on the prequels so I like them more than most)). With the Clone Wars, the bones of that story got fleshed out, making the overall existing story better. TCW also made Star Wars fun*! And dynamic! And fresh! Lots of interesting ideas and characters thrown out into the world, even if not all of it was great. 

I also think the character work in TCW was really excellent. If you look at the character arcs as whole, Anakin, Ahsoka, Padme, Palpatine, Obi-Wan, not to mention all the clone solders (Rex!)... Really everyone got some time to shine, and change, and feel more real. 

Rebels is similar IMO, but I have less of a soft spot for it for some reason. 

I don't think any of Filoni's live action has been half as good (so far). Maybe he's limited in what he can do outside of a cartoon-style show that has many long seasons to run with, or maybe he shines mostly when filling in the gaps of existing stories, and working within tight constraints - doesn't have to generate big ideas, just focus on woldbuilding and character arcs? Dunno :dunno:

*As a caveat, I watched TCW and Rebels after Rise of Skywalker + during Covid, so it was nice to enjoy Star Wars again and have some really solid escapism. 

Edited by Underfoot

1 hour ago, Underfoot said:

IMO, the PT had the bones of a really interesting story and added so much more to the worldbuilding (even if the execution was not great etc etc (but I grew up on the prequels so I like them more than most)). With the Clone Wars, the bones of that story got fleshed out, making the overall existing story better.

Indeed.
In the movies, Anakin was just an annoying brat who turned to the dark side the moment a suspicious old man told him what he wanted to hear. TCW corrected that by showing how his impulsiveness and arrogance led him to continuously flirt with the dark side, and built his relationship with Palpatine.
It made the story a tragedy, proper. Though in retrospect, if we're being honest, some bits of TCW should have been in episode 2 from the start to make the story more cohesive. TCW gets a lot of points because it turned many of the flaws of the movies into plot points.
As someone pointed out here years ago, it would be theoretically possible to accomplish something comparable for the ST, but I don't get the sense that they're truly going in that direction. If anything, I'm tempted to say they bet far more on atmosphere than plot in the new stuff. I'd even dare say that the works that were most appreciated are precisely those did manage to have both - Rogue One for the movies, and Andor for the shows.

3 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Ser Scot is The People vs George Lucas your most favourite documentary of all time ? I suspect it is. 

No.  I’ve never seen it.  

But that line was either deliberate irony… or… (and what I suspect) Lucas didn’t see its inherently self contradictory nature… which doesn’t speak well of Lucas.

6 hours ago, Underfoot said:

IMO, the PT had the bones of a really interesting story and added so much more to the worldbuilding (even if the execution was not great etc etc (but I grew up on the prequels so I like them more than most)). With the Clone Wars, the bones of that story got fleshed out, making the overall existing story better. TCW also made Star Wars fun*! And dynamic! And fresh! Lots of interesting ideas and characters thrown out into the world, even if not all of it was great. 

This is where I just see it differently. The PT might have more world building, but I don’t think it built any good worlds! It’s like giving Lucas the ‘A for Effort’ award, and a pat on the head for merely doing the basics and ignoring the actual quality of what he produced. Personally I hate all the worlds and universe ideas from the PT onwards, it’s been a succession of silliness.

I also just don’t see that character work in TCW either, but again, it feels like a matter of low expectations. Even minor, or poorly plotted character work is better than what was done in PT so therefore it must be good. 

And ‘fun’ is subjective, and it might be an age thing but I never saw much fun in TCW, it’s too silly, too derivative and too badly animated and choreographed to ever hold my interest. If you were a young teenager watching it, then yeah I get how it might be good. But if I compare it to something like Avatar Last Airbender, also a kids show, then Avatar has almost every element  and more in spades. Thats the sort of standard I’d be looking for even in a kids show. 

Interestingly, Filoni worked on Season 1 of Avatar: The Last Airbender. He directed half of the first season, including the pilot and the two-part season finale, and also worked as a storyboard and graphic artist, coming up with the look of a number of characters. The only reason he left was because George Lucas personally reached out to him to recruit him for Clone Wars, and immediately he had to face a lot of problems (like Lucas's insistence on releasing the first complete batch of episodes as a movie, despite everyone saying they weren't good enough visually or in terms of story).