Israel-Hamas war 3

Varysblackfyre321

The US is planning to send 2000 troops to the region (but not infantry), mostly advisory and medical. Biden is also strongly considering a trip to Israel this week. Meanwhile, the Iran foreign minister has promised preemptive strikes against Israel in the coming hours. This kind of escalation would be disastrous.

On a much smaller note, the cartoonist for the Guardian (Steven Bell?) has been fired for a cartoon that supposedly dabbled in antisemitic tropes. From the Guardian, thats strong stuff indeed, havent seen the cartoon in question myself.

6 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

On a much smaller note, the cartoonist for the Guardian (Steven Bell?) has been fired for a cartoon that supposedly dabbled in antisemitic tropes. From the Guardian, thats strong stuff indeed, havent seen the cartoon in question myself.

This is the cartoon in question, which is apparently a reference to this cartoon of LBJ during the Vietnam war.

6 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Yes, I think the issue from the desk was that it was based on a Shylock/pound of flesh trope used on a Jewish person. The LBJ cartoon is a fairly obscure reference, so who knows what the reality is. Still, an in-person convo is best for such issues (a lesson for all of life)

For what it's worth, if you look at the waistband you'll see "after David Levine", the guy who did the LBJ cartoon. 

I think he's doing it in hopes to help contain this local conflict from going full-out regional.

He has muchly toned down his rhetoric and volume in the last few days, in favor of calling for restraint.  He has maintained, of course, his full support of Israel, which he's been supporting for decades.  That is who he is. He doesn't change spots.  Whether you agree or disagree with him, he's dependable for staying supportive of who and what he supports.

There are people begging him not to go for the sake his personal safety.  It's dangerous.  And there is danger, I'm not going to say otherwise, from more than one direction.

Edited by Zorral

Irony turned up to 11,000

Russia proposed the one-page draft text on Friday, which also called for the release of hostages, humanitarian aid access, and the safe evacuation of civilians in need. The text condemned violence against civilians and all acts of terrorism, but did not name Hamas, which killed 1,300 people in Israel on Oct. 7.

https://www.reuters.com/world/un-vote-rival-resolutions-israel-gaza-2023-10-16/

2 hours ago, Kalnak the Magnificent said:

Shockingly jokes made against one group aren't always acceptable when used against another. No sympathy here.

2 hours ago, Larry of the Lawn said:

The explicit reference to the LBJ cartoon doesn't remove the problematic M.o.V. reference.  

Yeah, the absolute best case interpretation for him is that he thought he was doing 1 thing and was completely blind to the other thing and that's just not good enough. Was he in hot water over another one a few months ago? I have vague memories of a UK cartoon that was in a similar "maybe he didn't realize what he was doing but he needs to do better if so" situation.

ETA: Nope, was a different UK cartoonist - Martin Rowson. Essentially the same 'best case here is you need to be better versed in visual tropes that you're using which just isn't good enough' with anti-semitic shit back in April/May.

ETA2: The fact that there had already been one cartoonist in that situation this year just makes it even less acceptable now, then when you factor in the fraught situation...you should be damn fucking sure you're not playing to something you don't mean to so its hard to give good faith to think its not actually intended.

Edited by karaddin

Yeah plus also it's not Bell's first rodeo. He was in hot water for a frankly hideous cartoon of Priti Patel last year and he used an image referencing John the Baptist's beheading to depict Kier Starmer revealing the results of an inquiry into antisemitism in the Labour party under Corbyn. It starts to get more difficult to believe he's doing it by accident, and even if he is, if your job is to draw deliberately provocative pictures then part of that job is knowing context and where the line is. 

Could someone explain why it was necessary to raid an art school of all places?

Israeli soldiers carried out the raid at an art school in Halhul, north of Hebron, and demanded that several workers from the Gaza Strip vacate the area.

Muhammed Nidal Milhim, 17, one of the three individuals injured in the shooting, died of his injuries in a hospital.

Surely if they wanted to detain workers there was no need to shoot at an art school?

Edited by Craving Peaches

6 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

Could someone explain why it was necessary to raid an art school of all places?

Surely if they wanted to detain workers there was no need to shoot at an art school?

You already know the answer to this question, as we've heard it and will hear it over and over when it comes to civilian death in Gaza. "It's Hamas' fault, blame Hamas"

5 hours ago, karaddin said:

Yeah, the absolute best case interpretation for him is that he thought he was doing 1 thing and was completely blind to the other thing and that's just not good enough.

i have no idea what the cartoonist was thinking. I, for one, had no idea about the original cartoon, and had zero clue that the term "pound of flesh" was considered to be antisemitic. Before my time., i guess. 

I recently also found out that the term "peanut gallery" was racist. Had no clue at all, and used it many times.

'Pound of flesh' wasn't before anyone's time (at least nobody here): it's from Shakespeare and is still in wide currency as a saying. 

'Peanut gallery', on the other hand, isn't racist per se. It means exactly the same as 'the cheap seats'. In segregated theatres, these were the only seats permitted to black people, but the phrase was and is widely used outside of that context. So it has racist connotations, rather than being racist. 

My recollection is that the "pound of flesh" is the one "nearest the heart", and the belly as shown certainly doesn't seem to be that, so it seems a bit of stretch to me.

Blinken's doing incredible work as Secretary of State. His endurance at having all of these high-stakes meetings with interested parties, stretching from a 2 day whirlwind trip to 6 gruelling days with like a dozen stops... quite a lot of hard work going in to things. Apparently his latest meeting with Netanyahu lasted 8 hours and went into the early morning... and then suddenly Biden is coming over? Hrm...

Edited by Ran