UK Politics: Tory Closing Down Sale- Everything Must Go

polishgenius

11 minutes ago, Denvek said:

Every Saturday at the moment. And the organisers have confirmed that next week's one doesn't start until after the Remembrance events have finished, and doesn't go near the Cenotaph anyway. The major uproar seems to be the usual right-wing suspects wanting to pretend pro-Palestine sentiment means being pro-Hamas.

Cruella is so vile there are no words, truly. :ack:

Suella Braverman has described the demonstrators taking to the streets in support of a ceasefire in Gaza as being involved in “hate marches”.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/oct/30/uk-ministers-cobra-meeting-terrorism-threat-israel-hamas-conflict-suella-braverman

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

I... should she be allowed to still be a headmistress after publicly admitting to something this unhinged? 

The advert this is complaining about, for the record, is this - and I have to post this shit-quality repost because Marks and Spencer have, embarrassingly for them, pulled it in response to the backlash.

Like, what the hell is that ad all about? Who are they aiming it at? What’s the message? “For you, my family, I’ll decorate the tree and do all the Christmassy stuff, but secretly I want to burn it all down and trash everything”?

That woman’s response seems over the top, but that is a very strange ad. “Come and spend lots of money at Christmas even though you hate it!” If that’s the feeling they were appealing to, maybe they should have run an ad saying something like “make your holiday purchases here and we’ll donate X% of sales between now and Dec. 24 to these five charities!” Instead of having well- dressed men throw stuff out of windows and laugh. The guy looks like he has more money than brains.

Good thing it’s not an ad running in the US, there’d probably be a country wide store boycott already organized and all kinds of threats made.

Do you think it’s just an example of British humor?

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

What’s the message?

'We all secretly hate at least one part of the standard Christmas rituals so this year don't get stressed over those bits and just do the bits you like'. 

I mean, I think it's pretty clearly tongue in cheek? Like a good portion of Christmas adverts on the telly. But even if it doesn't hit the spot for someone I don't understand actually getting angry about it, like at all. Which people did.

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

But even if it doesn't hit the spot for someone I don't understand actually getting angry about it, like at all. Which people did.

I liked it.  But then I hate Christmas, so there's that.   :angry2:>>> My resting grinch face.   

9 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Can’t the war dead have a day of peace in their memory? That seems like the more appropriate way to celebrate Remembrance Day.

I don't think they really care too much. They are either having too much fun, or too much torment to be worried about what's happening in their honour on this side of the veil.

Remembrances for the war dead should be all about saying "yeah, let's not do that again please." So it seems protests against war and calling for peace are a pretty valid way of remembering the war dead. One day it would be nice to be able to visit the grave of the last person in each country to die in war and say, "I'm glad that ugly part of human history is behind us." Might be a while, but I think it's a something worth hoping for.

Violence at protests calling for peace seems likely to be caused by people who really aren't really committed to peace, their commitment is to something else.

5 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I don't think they really care too much. They are either having too much fun, or too much torment to be worried about what's happening in their honour on this side of the veil.

Remembrances for the war dead should be all about saying "yeah, let's not do that again please." So it seems protests against war and calling for peace are a pretty valid way of remembering the war dead. One day it would be nice to be able to visit the grave of the last person in each country to die in war and say, "I'm glad that ugly part of human history is behind us." Might be a while, but I think it's a something worth hoping for.

Violence at protests calling for peace seems likely to be caused by people who really aren't really committed to peace, their commitment is to something else.

Oh, don’t misunderstand me. Like I said, there’s a long tradition of protesting war on Remembrance Day (or whatever they call it) in lots of countries. I’m fine with that. I don’t ever recall a violent protest on the day here in Canada. Maybe during Vietnam? It’s just that I suspect there will be violence with these protesters, and I say that simply based on the fact all across Europe and North America there has already been violence at protests. For that matter, if they’re going to be violent, go ahead and do your thing, just don’t interrupt a service honoring the dead.

11 hours ago, Craving Peaches said:

It astounds me that Suella is still Home Secretary.

It astounds me that she was ever Home Secretary, and it's clear she was not appointed on merit. It's a thing people often suggest but in this case I've concluded that she absolutely must have some sort of leverage over Sunak. Nothing else makes sense.

So a few years ago a new Christmas tradition arrived.. anticipation for the new high street retailers Christmas adverts! Everyone would go ‘Aww’ and share it on Facebook.

Now the counter revolution is in place and the new tradition is to get outraged at the new high street retailers Christmas adverts.

At the same time; less people watch tv so aren’t even seeing those adverts anyway.

7 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Another day another Braverman is a monster headline. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-67321319

She said the government would always support those who are genuinely homeless, but added: "We cannot allow our streets to be taken over by rows of tents occupied by people, many of them from abroad, living on the streets as a lifestyle choice."

Subtle as a flock of flying elephants, as usual. :ack:

12 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

She said the government would always support those who are genuinely homeless, but added: "We cannot allow our streets to be taken over by rows of tents occupied by people, many of them from abroad, living on the streets as a lifestyle choice."

Subtle as a flock of flying elephants, as usual. :ack:

If there was a herd of elephants who could fly, I would rather count on them being subtle, as they are very intelligent creatures, unlike the idiot human who said that! 

1 minute ago, Zorral said:

If there was a herd of elephants who could fly, I would rather count on them being subtle, as they are very intelligent creatures, unlike the idiot human who said that! 

Preach. She's so nasty and so despicable...

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/nov/04/plans-to-redefine-extremism-would-include-undermining-uk-values

Government officials have drawn up deeply controversial proposals to broaden the definition of extremism to include anyone who "undermines" the country's institutions and its values, according to documents seen by the Observer.

The new definition, prepared by civil servants working for cabinet minister Michael Gove, is fiercely opposed by a cohort of officials who fear legitimate groups and individuals will be branded extremists.

" fear legitimate groups and individuals will be branded extremists."

That would be a feature, not a bug.

Edited by Which Tyler

8 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

include anyone who "undermines" the country's institutions and its values

And who determines those values? I bet it's the Government.

Worrying but not surprising, given the steps taking to slowly erode peoples' rights in the UK. Bet they try and push this through before the next general election. People really ought to protest this.

Also, it seems deliberately vague (a bit like 'breach of the peace'). What does 'undermine' mean? Is it any opposition regardless of why, or does it require certain steps to be taken?

Edited by Craving Peaches