Ukraine War: David And Goliath

Zorral

I constantly wonder what the Russians possibly hope to accomplish with the constant stream of untruths, but particularly irrelevant and easily proven untruths.

IL-76 possibly carrying Ukrainian POWs down in Russia - Airliners.net

In this case, it is announcing that the aircraft contained Ukrainian POWs, when pictures of the crash site clearly show a lack of personal effects, and the list itself contains POWs exchanged earlier this year.  So easy to disprove, so why even bother to put in the effort to create such a lie?

15 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I constantly wonder what the Russians possibly hope to accomplish with the constant stream of untruths, but particularly irrelevant and easily proven untruths.

To stir discord? Also, many, far too many people read the headlines only.

EU threatens to silence Hungary if it blocks Ukrainian funds 
Leaders may consider invoking the “nuclear option” of kicking Hungarian PM Viktor Orbán out of the EU voting process.

https://www.politico.eu/article/eu-threatens-silence-hungary-orban-if-blocks-ukrainian-aid-funds-article-7/

BRUSSELS — There’s a Hungarian saying for when things are not going well: “It is under the frog’s ass.” 

And things sure won’t go well for Hungary if it attempts to thwart European leaders when they meet next week to approve a vital €50 billion lifeline to Ukraine as it enters a third year of war with Russia.

After years of a softly-softly approach with Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orbán, this time European diplomats are giving signals that the “nuclear option” — kicking Budapest out of the EU voting process — is no longer unthinkable if he imperils the security of Ukraine, an EU candidate country.

If the EU were to use its so-called Article 7 — the most serious political sanction on a member country that involves suspending its right to vote on EU decisions — Orb´án really would be well and truly under the frog’s ass.

“That [saying]  pretty much sums up where the trust between Orbán and other leaders is,” said an EU official who, like others quoted in this piece, was granted anonymity to speak about corroding internal dynamics.

Five European officials and diplomats said other countries in the bloc are ready to make a move against Budapest in what would be a historic move for leaders who rely on cohesion and unanimity. 

On 1/24/2024 at 4:56 PM, Wilbur said:

I constantly wonder what the Russians possibly hope to accomplish with the constant stream of untruths, but particularly irrelevant and easily proven untruths

The same sorts of accomplishments of the fascists everywhere, starting with rumperisto in the US and all his enablers, worshippers and supporters.  Civil war, power and total dominion.

Not a lot going on for the last little while, but one potentially interesting development: Ukraine is developing REB technology to target incoming missile. This is electronic noise and signature-confusing technology which can "drag" almost any missile off course and prevent it hitting the target.

Ukraine has been developing this technology for some considerable time (obviously other countries have various versions) but they seem to be relying on it and doing emergency field-testing with it to preserve their stock of Patriot, S-300 and other AA defence missiles. So far it seems to be working quite well and improving in efficiency. It's good because it stops missiles from hitting their targets but one problem is that if the target is in or close to a city, sometimes the missile can still cause damage to neighbouring facilities. They also seem to be using it on drones, although the success is more debatable there.

It also appears that the last of Ukraine's "deep-storage" aircraft have finally been returned to full operation status, with several MiG-29s joining the air fleet. Apparently it's less a case that it's remarkably slow for these aircraft to be flying again, almost two years into the war, but more a case that these aircraft looked like they'd never fly again, so for them to be undertaking sorties is kind of a miracle. Based on the numbers flying versus what we thought Ukraine had in storage, it does look like there was some serious cannibalising going on, and possibly the use of spare parts from other countries with ex-Soviet stocks.

Just had a debate on Discord with a supporter of the new Wagenknecht party because I mocked how in its preamble it already demanded lifting sanctions on Russia, stopping all weapons going to Ukraine, cutting ties to the US and disarming Europe and said it'll be curious to see where they got their donations from. However, this woman seemed dead serious in her support of her. I'm going crazy here. Is there a term for suicidal pacifism?

So she was advocating for all of the above, justifying it it with the past immoral actions of the US, that sanctions didn't stop the war and therefore could as well be lifted (and to my question to clarify that she wants us to finance Russia's war, saying that lifting sanctions doesn't mean giving money or tech to Russia, somehow), that having an army is just a waste of money, that nukes are immoral and not a tool for defense, that she is scared that an AfD government will use a rearmed Bundeswehr to wage an offensive war someday in the future and that war is just... generally bad and that we needed "some other way" than deterrence to avoid it because deterrence is a lie. Eventually she would type out her way to deal with an invasion: To just... invite the enemy soldiers to come live with us instead of fighting them... And upon me asking what to do if that wasn't making them drop their weapons, she proposed to just... build a huge wall around the country...

I just... sat there struggling to comprehend this. "Why do you think these things?!?" Obviously she snapped at me for being condescending when I wrote that this sounds dangerously naive and childish.

3 hours ago, Toth said:

Just had a debate on Discord with a supporter of the new Wagenknecht party because I mocked how in its preamble it already demanded lifting sanctions on Russia, stopping all weapons going to Ukraine, cutting ties to the US and disarming Europe and said it'll be curious to see where they got their donations from. However, this woman seemed dead serious in her support of her. I'm going crazy here. Is there a term for suicidal pacifism?

So she was advocating for all of the above, justifying it it with the past immoral actions of the US, that sanctions didn't stop the war and therefore could as well be lifted (and to my question to clarify that she wants us to finance Russia's war, saying that lifting sanctions doesn't mean giving money or tech to Russia, somehow), that having an army is just a waste of money, that nukes are immoral and not a tool for defense, that she is scared that an AfD government will use a rearmed Bundeswehr to wage an offensive war someday in the future and that war is just... generally bad and that we needed "some other way" than deterrence to avoid it because deterrence is a lie. Eventually she would type out her way to deal with an invasion: To just... invite the enemy soldiers to come live with us instead of fighting them... And upon me asking what to do if that wasn't making them drop their weapons, she proposed to just... build a huge wall around the country...

I just... sat there struggling to comprehend this. "Why do you think these things?!?" Obviously she snapped at me for being condescending when I wrote that this sounds dangerously naive and childish.

I think the word for such people is 'Tankie'. Unwavering support of any regime that opposes the West.

So much to unpack there.

6 hours ago, Toth said:

So she was advocating for all of the above, justifying it it with the past immoral actions of the US, that sanctions didn't stop the war and therefore could as well be lifted (and to my question to clarify that she wants us to finance Russia's war, saying that lifting sanctions doesn't mean giving money or tech to Russia, somehow),

1. Immoral actions of the US have no baring whatsoever on the immorality of Russia's actions. She's really under the RT influence.

Now Sancions didn't stop the war (I assume you meant end? And his was lost in translation). Sanctions make it much more difficult for Russia to continue its war effort. And as you pointed out lifting sancitons means giving Russia access to Western technologies, which will find its way onto Ukrainian battlefields. I am kinda curious, where she thinks money/technologies Russia would import would go.

6 hours ago, Toth said:

that having an army is just a waste of money,

Well, you can make that argument, when you are Switzerland. Otherwise the EU (including Germany) has to do some growing up to do. A functional army is unfortunately an unsavaroy tool in the policy basket, when it comes to defending oneself and ones interest. Unless she wants to rely on either the US or Russia to fill in.

6 hours ago, Toth said:

that nukes are immoral and not a tool for defense

There she has a point. They are immoral, and they are tool for deterrent.

6 hours ago, Toth said:

and that war is just... generally bad and that we needed "some other way" than deterrence to avoid it because deterrence is a lie. Eventually she would type out her way to deal with an invasion: To just... invite the enemy soldiers to come live with us instead of fighting them... And upon me asking what to do if that wasn't making them drop their weapons, she proposed to just... build a huge wall around the country...

So you are in a chatgroup with Nena? How and why did this happen?

Interesting stuff.

Reasonably solid stuff. He points out how things have not gone Ukraine's way, but he also points out the absurd cost/benefit ratio Russia is continuing to pay for places like Bakhmut and Avdiivka, generally strategically insignificant locations. The cost that Russia is paying to take these places in lives, time, equipment and money even in areas where Ukraine is fiercely conserving artillery and ammunition remains unsustainable. If they have to expend the same number of lives to finish taking Avdiivka (even if they do seem to finally be making progress on the SE front of the town) and the next city, and the next, and the next one after that, they'll burn through their total pool of possibly-recruitable manpower in the next few years, possibly without even achieving a major breakthrough, and even if Ukraine only continues to receive dribs and drabs of support from Europe and bugger all from the US.

It also looks like Ukraine will finally cross the 1 million threshold early this year for total mobilised forces in-country, which is quite impressive. I know some were sceptical they'd ever do it, and they might even get as high as 1.2-1.4 million (the latter is a big ask by December though).

8 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

Supposedly, the Russian internet is down.

They have started taking all the 4g towers down each night as they believe it will stop drone attacks. 

I don't really understand how that works though, GPS should still work without towers and I would have thought that is all the long range drones need. 

Edited by Makk

Hum, don't you (well the drone operator) need to have access to remotely control them? Otherwise it's essentially a GPS guided long range missile, whose GPS access might (or might not) be blocked.

I am bit confused by this anyway. Thought the entire awesomeness on Star link is a) its coverage and b) Russia hasn't been able to find a way to block the signal.

Unless things changed, Ukraine can't use Star Link inside Russian territory and Elmo's sattelites don't need those 4 g towers anyway. So there usual scrambling operations should work. Shows how little I know about operating drones.

2 minutes ago, Jace, Extat said:

Snap guess:

Zelensky wants another offensive. The General knows better.

Maybe otger way round?

The army wasnts 400k people called up, and zelenskyy has been hesitant