Videogames: All Valves on Deck

IlyaP

2 hours ago, Darryk said:

I was so pissed off about the spoiler footage I saw from Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League 

I've never quite been able to figure that out.  Is it in the Arkham-verse?  Or is it just something else?

2 hours ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Is Obsidian releasing Avowed this year or delaying it finally ?

It's coming out later this year. 

https://www.pcgamer.com/avowed-release-date-gameplay-trailer-pillars-of-eternity/

Avowed will release in fall 2024, as announced during the Xbox Direct show in January 2024. We don't have a specific date yet, but we did get a gameplay deep dive during the same showcase so we've got plenty to chew on for a while.

37 minutes ago, Darryk said:

It's in the Arkham-verse.

Interesting.  I don’t know that I recall any real Justice League references in the original four games.  :dunno: 

Was Gotham Knights in the Arkham-verse too?

3 hours ago, Rhom said:

Interesting.  I don’t know that I recall any real Justice League references in the original four games.  :dunno: 

Was Gotham Knights in the Arkham-verse too?

Not sure about Gotham Knights, but I assume it is since it's also made by Rocksteady.

I think a lot of the people responsible for the Arkham trilogy have left the company which is why things suddenly started changing (such as suddenly the Justice League is a thing).

I suddenly have three games I really want to dive into with very little free time to do so.

Deep Rock Galactic: Survival is a $9 isometric auto-shooter rogue-lite based off the 3D games. Vampire Survivors only with wildly entertaining screen-wide explosions. It's ridiculously fun, and I love that genre as a gamer who prefers grindy, low-focus games while I have whatever entertainment playing on my other monitor. Poor Halls of Torment was a delight, but this is just so damn much more fun. 5/5 stars if you're into that kind of game.

Nightengale is sort of a steampunk Valheim, which by definition sounds amazing to me. My coworkers bought it after Palworld unsurprisingly became boring after a week. We had a blast on our Valheim server, and they want to re-create that fun. Alas, I'm just such a solo gamer with crazy hours (I usually get home at 1am and game til 4) that group games are difficult.

Finally, Last Epoch just dropped its 1.0 patch. ARPGs are my bread and butter - this year I've been re-grinding Grim Dawn and loving it just as much 1500 hours in as I did 50. Last Epoch doesn't have the same amount of complexity of that or Path of Exile, but it's vastly superior, in my opinion, to the soulless pit that is Diablo 4. The endgame sputters out a bit, but there's many, many fun classes to try out and it is simple enough that you don't need a specific build guide and a university course the way Path of Exile does, and frankly it's just far superior moment-to-moment combat than Grim Dawn. This will be the one I play most of the spring.

Penny's Big Breakaway shadowdropped today on the Switch partner showcase. Nice. Hope it gets good reviews, because it looks banging. The Sonic Mania team flexing that they can do a high-pace platformer in 3D. 

Also announced: Pentiment coming on Switch tomorrow. 

Just saw Xbox reiterated they're bringing the full Activision portfolio to Gamepass.

I'm gonna play so much of the old zombie moves in COD games.

... just as soon as I finish BG3, Zelda, play some more Diablo IV, dive back into Starfield, do the Elden Ring DLC, complete Palworld and stop playing so much Smite...

5 hours ago, Darryk said:

Not sure about Gotham Knights, but I assume it is since it's also made by Rocksteady.

I think a lot of the people responsible for the Arkham trilogy have left the company which is why things suddenly started changing (such as suddenly the Justice League is a thing).

Gotham Knights was made by WB Montreal and has no connection at all to the Arkham-verse. The confusion I think is because WB Montreal also made Arkham Origins after Rocksteady made Arkham City and before Arkham Knight (Rocksteady seems to nominally or barely acknowledge Origins as part of the same series, and it's often left out of compilation packs of the series).

Kill the Justice League is supposed to be straight-up a sequel to the three/four original Arkham games, which nobody really seems to be buying.

Edited by Werthead

35 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

A release date for this metroidvania and I really really hope it plays as well as it looks. 

It's cool and also kind of a giant rip off of Ori, especially the Bash mechanic. Which is fine!