US Politics the Biden's age a nothing burger edition

DireWolfSpirit

2 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Great! Now w/ no distractions he can focus on colonising Mars w/ Elon (where they can both stay forever) and dedicate more time prepping for the Olympic Games, even if he's not sure yet if he'll compete in volleyball or show jumping or rythmic gymnastics or fencing or judo or track cycling. 

18 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Is seems… ^shockingly^… that one of the founders of Mom’s for Liberty has a girlfriend she shares with her husband… a Florida State Legislator.  The Girlfriend is now accusing the husband of abuse and coercion (we’re all shocked I know).

For the record: if people want to do this consentually it is none of my business and I say… go with God.  However, when these same people want to use the power of the State to censor and shame LGBTQ people those seeking to censor and shame are fucking awful and should be publicly shamed for their unmitigated and incredible hypocrisy.

https://flcga.org/florida-gop-chair-christian-ziegler-husband-of-a-moms-for-liberty-cofounder-accused-of-battery-by-alleged-menage-a-trois-lover/

But, it's different when they do it.  To the pure, all things are pure.

It would seem that Republicans decided they were more likely to hold Santos' seat in 2024 if they have a special election in the next few months.  They're probably right, that special election isn't a slam dunk for Democrats, and if they can get a generic Republican in that seat, he/she will be a lot more likely to win as an incumbent. 

Obviously that will all change if NY gets a new map and the district gets 10 points bluer, but that isn't a sure thing. 

23 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Joining famous last words, like "I am not a crook!" --

"The hell with this place!" " As unofficially no longer a member of Congress, I no longer have to answer your questions."

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/george-santos-expulsion-vote-12-1-23/h_24aeb59d6cf801650459a5fb38b22ecb

20 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Great! Now w/ no distractions he can focus on colonising Mars w/ Elon (where they can both stay forever) and dedicate more time prepping for the Olympic Games, even if he's not sure yet if he'll compete in volleyball or show jumping or rythmic gymnastics or fencing or judo or track cycling. 

You're behind the times. He's already accomplished half of that. Now he's close to figuring out how to reanimate the dead. Rumor has it he wants to team them up with the Lizard People and use his new army to takeover Idaho. 

He also recently bought a nice place in Nassau. Word is he's trying to start a second golden age of piracy. Bless him. 

14 minutes ago, Zorral said:

"The hell with this place!" " As unofficially no longer a member of Congress, I no longer have to answer your questions."

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/george-santos-expulsion-vote-12-1-23/h_24aeb59d6cf801650459a5fb38b22ecb

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/dec/01/george-santos-expelled-congress-vote

Sharon Eliza Nichols, communications director for Eleanor Holmes Norton, the Democratic member for the District of Columbia, alluded to Cinderella when she said: “And just like that, without even a goodbye twirl, George Santos hopped in her carriage and departed.”

Edited by SpaceChampion

9 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

You're behind the times. He's already accomplished half of that. Now he's close to figuring out how to reanimate the dead. Rumor has it he wants to team them up with the Lizard People and use his new army to takeover Idaho. 

Is this a roundabout way of saying he'll be involved in the zombification of Kissinger? I mean, I can see that... zombie Kissinger and George take over Idaho and then the world's the limit. 

i would rather he just went to Mars w/ fElon... :P

9 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

He also recently bought a nice place in Nassau. Word is he's trying to start a second golden age of piracy. Bless him. 

Yes, bless his bionic uber powerful robotic indestructible heart. 

What happens next: According to a former House parliamentarian, an expulsion is administratively handled the same way as a vacancy, including death or resignation. The House clerk assumes control of the office and makes decisions on behalf of that office. They will decide how Santos’ office is cleared out, among other steps. His district office remains intact for constituent needs. 

The chamber's clerk will inform the governor of New York that there is now a vacancy in the third district of New York. It is then up to Democratic Gov. Kathy Hochul to schedule a special election to replace him.

I have so little faith in NY state Dem leadership.  The front runner seems to be the Dem who resigned in favor of running for governor, opening the way for the rethugs to greenlite Santos.

16 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Is this a roundabout way of saying he'll be involved in the zombification of Kissinger? I mean, I can see that... zombie Kissinger and George take over Idaho and then the world's the limit. 

Involved? He's the mastermind. Everything is finally coming together.

i would rather he just went to Mars w/ fElon... :P

Yes, bless his bionic uber powerful robotic indestructible heart. 

The aliens and robots are the second phase. Let the zombies and Lizard People have a chance to prove themselves.

All joking aside, this, while not shocking, is pretty disturbing shit if it came from your drunk uncle at Thanksgiving. But the Speaker of the House? I don't like calling people crazy besides @Jaxom 1974, but this is as insane as it is a window into just how cruel and out of touch the second in line to the presidency is:

https://www.cnn.com/2023/12/01/politics/kfile-mike-johnson-conspiracy-theories-homophobic-slurs/index.html

Edited by Tywin et al.

7 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Course he is. 

The aliens and robots are the second phase. Let the zombies and Lizard People have a chance to prove themselves.

:rofl:

All joking aside, this, while not shocking, is pretty disturbing shit if it came from your drunk uncle at Thanksgiving. But the Speaker of the House? I don't like calling people crazy besides @Jaxom 1974, but this is as insane as it is a window into just how cruel and out of touch the second in line to the presidency is:

https://www.cnn.com/2023/12/01/politics/kfile-mike-johnson-conspiracy-theories-homophobic-slurs/index.html

He's so gross JFC. :ack:

Trump not immune from being sued for Jan. 6 riot, judges rule

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2023/12/01/trump-can-be-sued-jan-6-immunity/

Donald Trump can be held civilly liable for the actions of the mob that attacked the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021, an appeals court ruled Friday in a long-awaited decision that could clear the way for lawsuits seeking financial damages from the former president.

The unanimous decision by a federal appeals court in Washington is expected to be appealed and also offers insight into how the court could view Trump’s argument that presidential immunity also protects him from being charged criminally for his efforts to stay in power after the 2020 election.

“When a first-term President opts to seek a second term, his campaign to win re-election is not an official presidential act,” Chief Judge Sri Srinivasan wrote for the three-judge panel. “The Office of the Presidency as an institution is agnostic about who will occupy it next.”

Two U.S. Capitol police officers and about a dozen Democratic lawmakers sued Trump in 2021, saying he potentially instigated violence on Jan. 6 by telling supporters the election was stolen and urging them to march to the Capitol and “fight like hell.”

“More than two years later, it is unnerving to hear the same fabrications and dangerous rhetoric that put my life as well as the lives of my fellow officers in danger on January 6, 2021,” James Blassingame, one of the police plaintiffs, said in a statement. “I hope our case will assist with helping put our democracy back on the right track; making it crystal clear that no person, regardless of title or position of stature, is above the rule of law.”

Trump campaign spokesman Steven Cheung called the decision “limited, narrow, and procedural,” adding that “the facts fully show that on January 6 President Trump was acting on behalf of the American people, carrying out his duties as President of the United States.” ....

14 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Whoa whoa whoa. Joke all you want, but don't put me anywhere near any of those freaks...

57 minutes ago, Zorral said:

I’m sorry.  I’m confused about your point.  Santos is expelled… are you saying we don’t know what the consequences of expulsion will be?

9 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Whoa whoa whoa. Joke all you want, but don't put me anywhere near any of those freaks...

You're the reason Trump won, opening up this Pandora's Box. Hope that Cubs championship keeps you warm at night. 

46 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

are you saying we don’t know what the consequences of expulsion will be?

No. 

Think Lear's ranting threats of unleashing the terrors of hell upon those who took his crown -- which of course his own selfish egoism gave away. Or Nixon, let's make it very easy -- Nixon's lie that he wasn't a crook. :rofl:

~~~~~~~~~~~

I Wrote a Movie About a Con Man Elected to Congress. I Never Imagined Anyone Could Actually Pull It Off.
The George Santos saga bears an uncanny resemblance to the Eddie Murphy film, “The Distinguished Gentleman.”
Opinion by MARTY KAPLAN
11/28/2023 05:00 AM EST
Marty Kaplan holds the Norman Lear Chair in entertainment, media and society at the USC Annenberg School for Communication and Journalism. He has been a Washington speechwriter, a Disney studio executive and screenwriter and associate dean of USC Annenberg.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2023/11/28/mag-kaplan-santos-screenplay-00128730

I pitched it to the studio as a reverse “Mr. Smith Goes to Washington.” A small-time con artist, the opposite of Jimmy Stewart’s naif, lies his way to Congress because, as Willie Sutton said about banks, Washington is where the money is. For a hustler, it’s the promised land. As the lead character lays it out for his cronies, “The lobbyists’ whole point in life is to buy you off – and it’s totally legal.”

A dark comedy about campaign finance reform was an improbable premise for a movie studio to invest in, but because it lured Eddie Murphy from Paramount, where his deal was, to Disney, where I worked at the time (and also because, I like to think, the script was pretty funny) the picture got made. ....

Think Lear's ranting threats of unleashing the terrors of hell upon those who took his crown -- which of course his own selfish egoism gave away. Or Nixon, let's make it very easy -- Nixon's lie that he wasn't a crook.

It's kind of strange Clarence Thomas didn't take Santos under his wing and show him how it's done. I guess he wants all the fancy trips to himself.

So… Rep. Clay Higgins… the one who claims Jack Smith’s “days are numbered the American people are coming for you”.  Just followed me (I’ve only go a thousand followers) on Twitter…

Not sure what to do with that…

https://www.thedailybeast.com/gop-rep-to-jack-smith-your-days-are-numbered

On 11/30/2023 at 2:41 PM, Tywin et al. said:

Gaetz's speech is fucking hilarious. And also terrible. Plus this:

https://www.businessinsider.com/kevin-mccarthy-says-matt-gaetz-should-be-in-jail-2023-11

Fucking hilarious McCarthy saying he should be in jail, but it is ABSOLUTELY TRUE that the pedo rapist from Florida should be in jail already.

We have had Bill Cosby locked up, yet Gaetz and Trump flitter around like immune freebirds, its disgusting.

Edited by DireWolfSpirit