US Politics the Biden's age a nothing burger edition

DireWolfSpirit

2 hours ago, ThinkerX said:

Bat-shit crazy Christians are scary.

Just wait until the Catholic Church splits in the US. Conservative Catholics in the US cannot stomach the liberalism of Pope Francis. The idea that he wants LGBTQ unions blessed (not marriage, just blessing, though that comes along with the support of civil marriage) is driving the division. And of course Steve Bannon is one of those Catholics leading the attacks against Francis. 

The other thing Pope Francis is trying to squash is the spread of the Latin mass. Churches that are celebrating mass in Latin seem to be the centers of the conservative movement in the US. I know that the churches here in Toronto that use the Latin mass seem to attract the wing-nuts.

Francis, unfortunately, is now 87, with the health problems of old age. After John Paul 2 died, the church went conservative and elected Benedict, such a disaster that Benedict had the good sense to step down. I wonder who will replace Francis, and if the cardinals pull the same stunt and elect a conservative there may very well be a schism.

10 hours ago, butterbumps! said:

Yes.  The magats are coming out for Trump regardless of who his running mate is.   The fact Haley is a woman will convince a bunch suburban women to come back to the gop and worry less about things like women losing rights to their body, and give “generic republicans” that veneer of acceptability.  

No, the reverse will happen, surely.

Assuming Trump could be persuaded to accept a female running mate, he won't want anyone to think he's sharing the limelight. He'll need to assuage his ego by reminding everyone of her subordinate position all the time. He won't be able to stop himself from speaking of her in such patronising and disparaging ways that those suburban women will be constantly reminded of how bad a Trump presidency will be for them, personally. 

I think the lesson Trump learnt from Pences „betrayal“ (certification of election) is that he wants three things from a future VP: loyalty, loyalty and loyalty.

He wants to pick someone who has 

a) told and retold that the 2020 election was stolen and firmly stands by that statement 

b) has voted against certification of the election, or said vehemently he would have done so if in congress 

c) voted against impeachment on all occasions or that he would have done so if in congress, and supports to remove the impeachment record 

he wants a VP that in the case he shoots someone in Times Square goes out and publicly defends his innocence, even in court if need be.

Would Nikki Haley do that? Or would she be able to convince Trump that she would do it? Maybe…

But for me someone like Kari Lake fits the bill better than Nikki Haley, on plus she’s from a swing state.

7 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Francis, unfortunately, is now 87, with the health problems of old age. After John Paul 2 died, the church went conservative and elected Benedict, such a disaster that Benedict had the good sense to step down. I wonder who will replace Francis, and if the cardinals pull the same stunt and elect a conservative there may very well be a schism.

For the most part in Christianity it's the right wing that causes "schisms" by leaving as an organized group. When liberal Christians are disaffected with their denomination, they tend to either stay and fight, believing the future is on their side, or leave as individuals, not taking whole congregations or regions with them. So if a right wing Pope is elected after Francis, I expect the liberal Catholics who leave will simply stop going to church or become Episcopalians, not form a new denomination.

On that note. There was an article wrt Pope Francis and what happens beyond a couple of days ago over at the Guardian (at least I believe that's where I read it).

A good number of the cardinals voting at the next conclave has been appointed (replace with correct term, if that is the wrong one). So there's a fair chance, that those cardinals are more alligned with him ideologically, and it won't be another Wojtylla or Ratzinger.

2 hours ago, Ormond said:

For the most part in Christianity it's the right wing that causes "schisms" by leaving as an organized group. When liberal Christians are disaffected with their denomination, they tend to either stay and fight, believing the future is on their side, or leave as individuals, not taking whole congregations or regions with them. So if a right wing Pope is elected after Francis, I expect the liberal Catholics who leave will simply stop going to church or become Episcopalians, not form a new denomination.

In 1870 they created the old Catholic Church because they disagreed about the new dogma of papal infallibility. I think „liberal“ Catholics could join them…

16 hours ago, Phylum of Alexandria said:

She has put up with a lot to get as far as she has. She strikes me as someone who likes to think of themselves as good--and maybe in conventional political cultures she would be--but also as someone who's both ambitious and not very brave. Like Pence, actually.

This may strike you as so, however it is not so.

You seem to have not noticed that Haley is antithetical to choice.  At her very best she's for a no prohibition to forced birth until SIX WEEKS when a woman generally can't even know she's pregnant.  At you by chance male? And very young?

Moreover you seem to have not noticed what an evile kind of folk is Pence.  Because he was more afraid of the US Army and Justice Dept. than he was even of traitor doesn't change any of that. Don't confuse boundless ambition (recall Pence wanted to campaign for POTUS himself) and boundless self-regard with courage.  Particularly when there's been no action on her part to say otherwise.

Perhaps Lynn Cheney ... who is evil too, possesses boundless ambition and self-regard ... however, does have courage, or at least the capacity to ACT on her convictions against the fascists.

Edited by Zorral

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

Perhaps Lynn Cheney ... who is evil too, possesses boundless ambition and self-regard ... however, does have courage, or at least the capacity to ACT on her convictions against the fascists.

Evil?

Look I disagree with many of Cheney’s political views.  But… evil?  She is standing up for Constitutional order and opposing the rise of a Republican dictatorship that doesn’t sound like an “evil” person to me.

People can and do disagree with me… that doesn’t make that person evil… it makes them (from my perspective) wrong.

38 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Evil?

Look I disagree with many of Cheney’s political views.  But… evil?  She is standing up for Constitutional order and opposing the rise of a Republican dictatorship that doesn’t sound like an “evil” person to me.

People can and do disagree with me… that doesn’t make that person evil… it makes them (from my perspective) wrong.

Oh, hello. I notice that you seem to have just joined the Uh Oh Club. 

Here at Club Uh Oh you'll experience many of our pattened "Uh Oh!" moments, like # Realizing Your Countrymen Are Serious 

Or,

Did I Just Read What I Think I Read???

One thing to always keep in mind is that Club Uh Oh is open to anyone and out for everyone. You'll never know what kind of shock you're in for, from the inane to the insane to the ass-over-teakettle wrong. Stick around and don't give up, the Uh Oh Club is today's misfortune for tomorrow's misery. We can't wait to have you! 

13 minutes ago, Jace, Extat said:

Oh, hello. I notice that you seem to have just joined the Uh Oh Club. 

Here at Club Uh Oh you'll experience many of our pattened "Uh Oh!" moments, like # Realizing Your Countrymen Are Serious 

Or,

Did I Just Read What I Think I Read???

One thing to always keep in mind is that Club Uh Oh is open to anyone and out for everyone. You'll never know what kind of shock you're in for, from the inane to the insane to the ass-over-teakettle wrong. Stick around and don't give up, the Uh Oh Club is today's misfortune for tomorrow's misery. We can't wait to have you! 

Huh?

Saw brief article this morning about Haley's plan for the government involves firing all federal employees after five years. (dratted link slid by me again)

Between that and Bannon's call to purge all non-Christians, no federal employee with active braincells has any reason to vote for any of these people.  That alone should cost them a couple of million votes.

8 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

Saw brief article this morning about Haley's plan for the government involves firing all federal employees after five years. (dratted link slid by me again)

Between that and Bannon's call to purge all non-Christians, no federal employee with active braincells has any reason to vote for any of these people.  That alone should cost them a couple of million votes.

It won't.  The people left voting GOP have no problem with whacky policies as long as they can count on their elected leaders to go after abortion, and not make them feel bad about racism, xenophobia, hating-the-poors, etc.  

I think it was Scaramucci who said that what people don't get about Trump is that voters don't mind voting for someone they don't like, but they're not going to vote for someone who doesn't like them.  Check that box, pay lip service to Trump, and you can say almost whatever else you like as a GOP candidate.  

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Huh?

Oh, just trying to get my creative juices flowing. 

In non-crazyspeak: 

I used to just roll my eyes at some of the rhetoric used around here and on the internet abroad. Lately though I've been more alarmed than amused. 

35 minutes ago, Larry of the Lawn said:

It won't.  The people left voting GOP have no problem with whacky policies as long as they can count on their elected leaders to go after abortion, and not make them feel bad about racism, xenophobia, hating-the-poors, etc.  

I think it was Scaramucci who said that what people don't get about Trump is that voters don't mind voting for someone they don't like, but they're not going to vote for someone who doesn't like them.  Check that box, pay lip service to Trump, and you can say almost whatever else you like as a GOP candidate.  

I was referring to federal employees themselves having no reason to vote for Trump or Haley. That is a lot of votes.