US Politics: Happy Anniversary.

4 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

But maybe that's exactly why people like you should be involved, so that the dummy fanatics don't win. 

Eh, I've lost faith. Republicans have gone insane. Democrats are unfocused cowards. Whatever is in the middle gives no effort. And too many people just don't care. 

2 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

I'm not sure if this belongs in a politics thread, but can someone please tell me what the hell is going on with Taylor Swift? She seems to be getting an awful lot of MAGA wonks really excited for some reason. 

MAGA persons who are influenced by Q-Anon think she and her fans are being "weaponized" by the Biden administration and Deep State.

https://www.wired.com/story/taylor-swift-psyop-conspiracy-theory-person-of-the-year/

House right flank revolts by sinking rule vote as Speaker Mike Johnson walks tightrope on government funding plan

https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/10/politics/speaker-johnson-funding-fight-right-flank/index.html

Speaker Mike Johnson is finding himself once again walking a tightrope between political reality and what can satisfy his right flank, as conservative hardliners staged a rebellion on the House floor Wednesday afternoon.

More than a dozen House Republicans joined all Democrats in sinking a procedural rule vote on the House floor Wednesday afternoon, the second rule vote defeat in Johnson’s 11-week tenure, and coming hours after a heated private GOP conference meeting where Johnson sought to discuss a deal he struck with Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer on government funding.

54 minutes ago, Ormond said:

MAGA persons who are influenced by Q-Anon think she and her fans are being "weaponized" by the Biden administration and Deep State.

https://www.wired.com/story/taylor-swift-psyop-conspiracy-theory-person-of-the-year/

Just like all evil women down the centuries, she practices witchcraft!

Ooooooh ooooooh scary!

1 hour ago, Ormond said:

Hold on. The Q fuckers and MAGA chuds are flirting with Swiftie rage? Do they know what that crowd is like? Holy shit. Might as well tip one out for Q. Their days are numbered. This is known.

Keaton always said, "I don't believe in God, but I'm afraid of him."Well I believe in God, and the only thing that scares me is Taylor Swift fans.

I am really at an impasse here, maybe you lot can help me out.

What's the most annoying part of that MAGAt movement, their whinyness, or their stupidity, or their crazyness.

I find their whinyness unbearable, but then it's also all so stupid and crazy at the same time.

3 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

people like her are lost forever, there's no coming back from this level of insanity and stupidity. 

I have a sense -- which is utterly without any factual or stat research to provoke me having -- that so many are flat out terrified by climate change.  Their only ability to deal with the knowledge that it is the end of the world we know and we are doing nothing at all effective to deal with it is DENIAL and the the Denial needs a savior, and so here we are with the orange shit who never even ever talks about climate change, which has through fire flood and wind already taken out the lives of people we know -- he gives others we can see as sacrifices to our wrath to the end of our world and way of life as only path to salvation and safety and by golly let's kick each other out of the way to get on that road of his elevation.

11 minutes ago, Zorral said:

I have a sense -- which is utterly without any factual or stat research to provoke me having -- that so many are flat out terrified by climate change.  Their only ability to deal with the knowledge that it is the end of the world we know and we are doing nothing at all effective to deal with it is DENIAL and the the Denial needs a savior, and so here we are with the orange shit who never even ever talks about climate change, which has through fire flood and wind already taken out the lives of people we know -- he gives others we can see as sacrifices to our wrath to the end of our world and way of life as only path to salvation and safety and by golly let's kick each other out of the way to get on that road of his elevation.

The denial is for the plebs. At the top there is no denial.

17 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Chris Christie has suspended his Presidential bid. I dont think his supporters will migrate to Trump, so lets hope Haley gets a boost to challenge Trump more.

Interesting that he's endorsing no one. 

1 minute ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

Interesting that he's endorsing no one. 

Isn't that the only option for him if he wants to remain consistent w/ all he's said while campaigning? 

How the mighty have fallen.

An actual, real-life GOP presidential primary candidate debate, and it features DeSantis and Haley.

Put a flower in your buttonhole, the funeral service for the Republican National Party cannot be too far away if this is the best we can come up with.

16 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Isn't that the only option for him if he wants to remain consistent w/ all he's said while campaigning? 

Yeah, but most people fold and do so quickly. Christie isn't a great guy, however, I've always found him fascinating. 

14 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

I guess there's a debate happening tonight, and Vivek couldnt meet the threshold (with Christie out too, its just DeSantis and Haley). Would have been better if all this consolidation happened earlier and it was just Haley v Trump

Haley is going to wreck DeSantis. That said she's not going to beat Trump unless something changes. 

Trump is scared of her though and the more racist languages he's using about her shows it.

4 hours ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

Eh, I've lost faith. Republicans have gone insane. Democrats are unfocused cowards.

I've been pretty impressed with Democrats in Congress ever since Biden won (I mean, other than people like Manchin, but what do you expect from West Viriginia? It's deep Trump country). And for the most part in state and local levels of government.

They need a lot more representatives in there, but that's up to voters. 

4 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

I'm not sure if this belongs in a politics thread, but can someone please tell me what the hell is going on with Taylor Swift? She seems to be getting an awful lot of MAGA wonks really excited for some reason. 

I think it's a continuation of their ire since her tour started because she tells her fans to register to vote, and actually set up booths at every one of her concerts to register people.

1 hour ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

I guess there's a debate happening tonight, and Vivek couldnt meet the threshold (with Christie out too, its just DeSantis and Haley). Would have been better if all this consolidation happened earlier and it was just Haley v Trump

Why would it have been better?