US Politics: Primary Schoolin'

7 hours ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

Now I have to ask, in KY is sex with your second cousin already not incest? @Rhom, speak about your people.

So yeah, that’s embarrassing.  Apparently it isn’t in something like 16 other states?  No excuse to change it.  As far as I know, I don’t know anyone who isn’t cringing over that headline.

15 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

But don't you think it's different now? Back then people could cling to the false belief that he was a successful businessman, he wasn't a politician, etc. No one really knew what it was going to be like, and those more normal conservatives and independents who voted for him believed that he would become more presidential, that the Kellys and others around him would reign in his worst impulses, and so on. No one is under this misconception anymore. There's also his project 25 or whatever that's called...  I also think that despite his hardcore base becoming even more hardcore, his rejection has grown as well. 

I think there is something to this, yes. Back in 2016, those who either weren't paying attention or who were just foolish could view Trump as a blank slate, on which they could mentally write anything they liked. I doubt many voters see him that way any more--they know what Trump is, and what electing him will mean.

And let's not forget that Trump the politician has never, ever been a popular figure. I don't think his approvals ever cracked 50%, and his presidency was a non-stop clown show of incompetence, spectacle, and corruption. Trump won because he was able to eke out a plurality that, just barely, won him the Electoral College. Maybe he can pull that off twice, but let's not pretend this is 2016 all over again.

30 minutes ago, Rhom said:

So yeah, that’s embarrassing.  Apparently it isn’t in something like 16 other states?  No excuse to change it.  As far as I know, I don’t know anyone who isn’t cringing over that headline.

Hey, everywhere is weird. I was always told if you go to your son's favorite state you can have a drink in a bar at 14 if you're with your parents, and now it's one of the states pushing to let 14 year olds serve drinks. 

Good luck when your boy goes to Madtown. 

Edited by Mr. Chatywin et al.

58 minutes ago, TrackerNeil said:

And let's not forget that Trump the politician has never, ever been a popular figure. I don't think his approvals ever cracked 50%, and his presidency was a non-stop clown show of incompetence, spectacle, and corruption. Trump won because he was able to eke out a plurality that, just barely, won him the Electoral College. Maybe he can pull that off twice, but let's not pretend this is 2016 all over again.

All true. One thing that might make this more like 2016 than 2020 is the presence of a third party candidate to siphon away votes from the Democrat. If Jill Stein had run in 2020 Trump may have won again. It's so close that any rogue element could fuck things up. (Which is why we need all the votes we can get, people!)

A story popped up on my Google page that said the state of Virginia had been reviewing their 2020 election numbers, as Trump kept saying the results were wrong. Trump was correct. Largely due to human error programs were not properly run and guess what happened? Biden got short changed about 1648 votes and Trump got credited with about 2327 too many. 

Funny how consistently Trump makes accusations against other people that actually are things that he’s doing. (Not that he was responsible, it’s just funny!)

Edited by Fragile Bird
Exact numbers added

2 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

A story popped up on my Google page that said the state of Virginia had been reviewing their 2020 election numbers, as Trump kept saying the results were wrong. Trump was correct. Largely due to human error programs were not properly run and guess what happened? Biden got short changed about 1600 votes and Trump got credited with about 2600 too many. 

Funny how consistently Trump makes accusations against other people that actually are things that he’s doing. (Not that he was responsible, it’s just funny!)

That was in Prince William County, where I used to work. Hits a little too close to home!

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

I take it as an article of faith that Trump himself is always guilty of that which he accuses others.

12 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

But, hey! There this:

It probably doesn't help that they used a picture of the guy looking like his wildest maniac dreams are about to come true.

We are all aware this board grew out of fantasy, particularly fantasy with dragons, but the US politics thread is a bad place to express such approaches, particularly as fascism, xtian dominionist, etc. are very real world threats, and not on in the US, but globally.

The people running the rank and file are anything but stupid and ignorant, and They've been strategizing and planning and WORKING for a very long time, and They see Their goals so close to achievement They are enthused, encouraged and thrilled to work even harder to get Their way.

Edited by Zorral

5 hours ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

Hey, everywhere is weird. I was always told if you go to your son's favorite state you can have a drink in a bar at 14 if you're with your parents, and now it's one of the states pushing to let 14 year olds serve drinks. 

Good luck when your boy goes to Madtown. 

5 hours ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

First cousin marriage (as well as sexual relations) is legal in many liberal states including California and Massachusetts. Not sure this is something to cudgel Kentucky with

The guy who proposed the legislation is a former Survivor winner too... just makes for the theater of the bizarre.

After the notoriety yesterday, he has withdrawn the bill and made the typical excuse of "drafting error." :dunno: 

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

We are all aware this board grew out of fantasy, particularly fantasy with dragons, but the US politics thread is a bad place to express such approaches, particularly as fascism, xtian dominionist, etc. are very real world threats, and not on in the US, but globally.

The people running the rank and file are anything but stupid and ignorant, and They've been strategizing and planning and WORKING for a very long time, and They see Their goals so close to achievement They are enthused, encouraged and thrilled to work even harder to get Their way.

And fantasy with prominent incest!!!!!

3 minutes ago, Rhom said:

The guy who proposed the legislation is a former Survivor winner too... just makes for the theater of the bizarre.

After the notoriety yesterday, he has withdrawn the bill and made the typical excuse of "drafting error." :dunno: 

Drafting errors are picking Young over Stroud. What he did was jumping into a wood chipper to see what would happen. 

3 hours ago, TrackerNeil said:

I take it as an article of faith that Trump himself is always guilty of that which he accuses others.

Its also straight from the fascist textbook, with Goebbels proclaiming "Always accuse the other side of which you yourself are guilty" (paraphrasing). He also said something about repeating a lie often enough that it becomes acceptable as truth, which can be applied to the whole '2020 election was stolen' perpetration as well. 

What I dont understand is why Democratic strategists go through the historical archives to see how to tackle these fascist tactics. 

11 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Its also straight from the fascist textbook, with Goebbels proclaiming "Always accuse the other side of which you yourself are guilty" (paraphrasing). He also said something about repeating a lie often enough that it becomes acceptable as truth, which can be applied to the whole '2020 election was stolen' perpetration as well. 

What I dont understand is why Democratic strategists go through the historical archives to see how to tackle these fascist tactics. 

Is there some tried-and-true way to handle a major-party nominee who lies shamelessly? If so, I'd be curious to hear about it.

16 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

4 minutes ago, TrackerNeil said:

Is there some tried-and-true way to handle a major-party nominee who lies shamelessly? If so, I'd be curious to hear about it.

The tried and true way is to have an external country or countries violently overthrow them, or have an internal rebellion overthrow them. There have not been a lot of successes as far as stopping it once it starts in a major party via judicial or political means. 

You can do a decent job before they get to a major party status by deplatforming and disrupting. But we're well past the point where that could do anything.