Rings of Power 5: I Will Take the Thread to Reddit

HexMachina

Reading this thread and the Wheel of Time thread sometimes feels like witnessing the great defense of mediocrity. I wonder if the Avatar live action series will manifest the same eager defense of the nonsensical and subpar?

I personally think that there is enough good material out there that I quickly lose patience with lazy writing such as is exhibited in this show, including the characterization of Galadriel. I only watched the first two or three episodes, but the troll fighting and swimming across the world were sequences of profound stupidity, and I think they weren't empowering at all, whatever the intention behind those scenes. All that those scenes (and others) communicated to me is that the writers had complete contempt for me as an audience member.

11 minutes ago, HexMachina said:

its been a while since I last read the books, so I will admit to looking up Blachoth on the wiki but...what? What does Galadriel have to do with them?

He's referring to the magical mist that Galadriel is said to have conjured to hide the Éothéod, led by Eorl the Young, from the shadows of Dol Guldor and the eyes of any enemies that would report of their approach to the Anduin when they came to answer the Steward's call for aid against the Balchoth that were overrunning Calenhardon (the future Riddermark/Rohan)

While it's unclear that she used the Ring, well, it's the Ring of Water, a mist seems very much like the sort of thing the ring might have assisted in creating. 

That said, I don't think there's anything explicit in Unfinished Tales saying whether she definitely used he ring or not.

Edited by Ran

1 minute ago, Ran said:

He's referring to the magical mist that Galadriel is said to have conjured to hide the Éothéod, led by Eorl the Young, from the shadows of Dol Guldor and the eyes of any enemies that would report of their approach to the Anduin when they came to answer the Steward's call for aid against the Balchoth that were overrunning Calenhardon (the future Riddermark/Rohan)

While it's unclear that she used the Ring, well, it's the Ring of Water, a mist seems very much like the sort of thing the ring might have assisted in creating.

Thank you! 

I'm just going to take this as a sign that maybe I should do a re-read because I didn't remember anything even vaguely related to the Balchoth

Edited by HexMachina

2 minutes ago, Ran said:

Is that in the history of Rohan from the LotR appendices?

8 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Is that in the history of Rohan from the LotR appendices?

Unfinished Tales, from "Cirion and Eorl and the Friendship of Gondor and Rohan":

For when at last the host drew near to Dol Guldur, Eorl turned away westward for fear of the dark shadow and cloud that flowed out from it, and then he rode on within sight of Anduin. Many of the riders turned their eyes thither, half in fear and half in hope to glimpse from afar the shimmer of the Dwimordene, the perilous land that in legends of their people was said to shine like gold in the springtime. But now it seemed shrouded in a gleaming mist and to their dismay the mist passed over the river and flowed over the land before them.

Eorl did not halt. "Ride on!" he commanded. "There is no other way to take. After so long a road shall we be held back from battle by a river-mist?"

As they drew nearer they saw that the white mist was driving back the glooms of Dol Guldur, and soon they passed into it, riding slowly at first and warily; but under its canopy all things were lit with a clear and shadowless light, while to left and right they were guarded as it were by white walls of secrecy.

"The Lady of the Golden Wood is on our side, it seems,” said Borondir.

"Maybe," said Eorl. "But at least I will trust the wisdom of Felaróf. He scents no evil. His heart is high, and his weariness is healed: he strains to be given his head. So be it! For never have I had more need of secrecy and speed."

Then Felaróf sprang forward, and all the host behind followed like a great wind, but in a strange silence, as if their hooves did not beat upon the ground. So they rode on, as fresh and eager as on the morning of their setting-out, during that day and the next; but at dawn of the third day they rose from their rest, and suddenly the mist was gone, and they saw that they were far out in the open lands. On their right the Anduin lay near, but they had almost passed its great eastward loop, and the Undeeps were in sight. It was the morning of the fifteenth day of Víressë, and they had come there at a speed beyond hope. [1]

So not only did the mist hide them, it seems to have invigorated them as well. Pretty strong magic.

On 2/2/2024 at 1:28 PM, Rippounet said:

This article makes some pretty good points...

Yes, it did! 

I know the discussion moved on but I do want to point out that while those arguments are quite interesting I don’t think the parallels were a political message inserted on purpose.

Galadriel’s inability to let go  and American foreign politics being similar are just a coincidence as far as I can see,  as the Unfinished Tales (where we have some info about this Galadriel) was published in 1980, before the new “American Politics/Woke Activism Hollywood message ”has become a thing :D

In the Unfinished Tales, the Galadriel of the previous Age comes across exactly like the RoP Galadriel: stubborn, unwilling to compromise, relentless, strong willed, a fearless fighter in the rebellion against Valar and burning with anger to follow Faenor wherever he may go and thwart him in any way she could. Sounds like she’s almost obsessed with a purpose.

Apparently it took her two ages to calm down and for us to get the Galadriel we ended up seeing in LotR and which everyone expects to see in RoP as well.

But that’s not her. Not by a long shot when it comes to the Second Age.

On 2/3/2024 at 3:46 AM, Heartofice said:

Outside of that, the show just isn’t written in a ‘fun’ way

Pfft, that’s what YOU think.

On 2/3/2024 at 3:46 AM, Heartofice said:

I just don’t understand why someone would be ok with the bar being set so low for a show like this.

Heyyyooo… not cool passing subtle veiled judgement on someone’s low tastes, eh? We get it, your tastes in what’s good entertainment is naturally superior to IlyaP and my own. High bar and all, but still… No need for additional bewildered rhetorical questioning of it, eh?!

Just now, TormundsWoman said:

Heyyyooo… not cool passing subtle veiled judgement on someone’s low tastes, eh? We get it, your tastes in what’s good entertainment is naturally superior to IlyaP and my own. High bar and all, but still… No need for additional bewildered rhetorical questioning of it, eh?!

Nah, there is no problem at all. It’s fine to enjoy RoP, if you get something out of it. But it absolutely isn’t ’dumb fun’ because it was not intentionally created to be dumb fun. 

8 minutes ago, TormundsWoman said:

Pfft, that’s what YOU think.

As much as I hate the accusation of “wokeness” RoP makes little sense.  Compressing the events of three millennia into a few months or years?  Elvish “fading” is physical not spiritual and can be prevented with Mithril?  Galadriel has the hots for Sauron?   The trans-oceanic swim attempt?

RoP had an opportunity to use the existing outline to make something really cool… it didn’t.  This has nothing to do with “woke” it simply isn’t a good story.

Fellowship of Fans apparently claim insider intel has told them

• Meteor Man will be trained by a new magical character who will increase his powers
  • Show may have gotten access to use material from Unfinished Tales, including on the 5 Wizards (they may be able to use all of them)
  • They may have access to material on Rhun and the Blue Wizards going East
  • Mumakil may be incoming

20 minutes ago, Ser Drewy said:

Fellowship of Fans apparently claim insider intel has told them

• Meteor Man will be trained by a new magical character who will increase his powers
  • Show may have gotten access to use material from Unfinished Tales, including on the 5 Wizards (they may be able to use all of them)
  • They may have access to material on Rhun and the Blue Wizards going East
  • Mumakil may be incoming

Sweet Jesus… will he be using cards to cast spells as a product placement tie in with “Magic: The Gathering”?