Dune part 2: the spoilers must flow (Spoilers for the movies)

Kalbear

On 3/27/2024 at 4:47 PM, Werthead said:

Yes.

Vastly so.

Kevin J. Anderson makes Benioff & Weiss read like fucking Proust.

What’s really sad is that it made them millions.

Maybe I should claim that I discovered some post-it notes written by Tolkien, and write a fanfic.

Edited by SeanF

On 3/26/2024 at 4:33 PM, Maithanet said:

I also thought that the ending left me a little confused.  The fremen pile onto spaceships to attack the forces of the great houses.  Do the fremen have any experience with space battles?  They have a few ornithopter pilots, but I can't imagine that is the same as piloting a starship in combat.  Wouldn't they just get wiped out?  

I know that the fremen being supersoldiers is basically part of the worldbuilding of dune.  I can accept given the weird technological limits they've described that fremen could indeed be exceptional fighters on Arrakis.  But that doesn't translate to being great pilots, or how to fight in other areas.  Fighting in a cramped spaceship or a jungle planet is gonna be very different and require tactics the fremen have never used or encountered.  

AIUI, space travel is purely about transportation.  There is no fighting in space.

With space travel now, effectively, under Paul’s control, presumably they can isolate each enemy planet in turn, and destroy its forces.

• 2 weeks later...

Now that the theatrical run is winding down and the home streaming release is two days away, I was checking box office on Dune today and went back to our debate about delaying the release last summer and predictions for the gross.  

Pretty obvious at this point that delaying it was absolutely the right move. The promotional tour and the positive press it built clearly made a difference in getting the excitement rolling for the movie.

My prediction at the time was a bit off:

I sincerely hope that Dune 2 does better than the original.  And I believe that there is a very good chance that it will now that theaters are more open.  By comparison, Dune's $102 domestic box office would put it in 20th place for 2023 so far this year.  (Right between The Flash and M3GAN.)  I think a good performance for it would be a top ten film for the year, which this year would mean $175m ish.  (Right between Sound of Freedom and Indiana Jones and the Slipped Disc.)  That feels about right to me.  $175 to $200m domestic.  

Box office mojo says that the movie has don’t $272m domestic.  So I wasn’t far off, but the positive press definitely pushed it above where I thought it would be.

At $683m worldwide, it did fall short of the “Billion Monies” that @Deadlines? What Deadlines? and @Calibandar were predicting however.

Glad to see we will get a concluding chapter.

It is number one for the year so far.  I assume Deadpool and Wolverine will pass it; but I haven’t seen anything else on my radar that feels like it should be a massive draw.  (I’m probably not paying enough attention though.)

2 hours ago, Rhom said:

Now that the theatrical run is winding down and the home streaming release is two days away, I was checking box office on Dune today and went back to our debate about delaying the release last summer and predictions for the gross.  

Pretty obvious at this point that delaying it was absolutely the right move. The promotional tour and the positive press it built clearly made a difference in getting the excitement rolling for the movie.

My prediction at the time was a bit off:

Box office mojo says that the movie has don’t $272m domestic.  So I wasn’t far off, but the positive press definitely pushed it above where I thought it would be.

At $683m worldwide, it did fall short of the “Billion Monies” that @Deadlines? What Deadlines? and @Calibandar were predicting however.

Glad to see we will get a concluding chapter.

In my heart...

1 hour ago, Corvinus85 said:

Was it released in China?

From Wikipedia FWIW

Outside the US and Canada, the film grossed $100.02 million in its opening weekend from 71 markets. In its second weekend, the sci-fi epic added $81 million from 72 international markets, including a $20 million opening in China.

5 hours ago, Rhom said:

It is number one for the year so far.  I assume Deadpool and Wolverine will pass it; but I haven’t seen anything else on my radar that feels like it should be a massive draw.  (I’m probably not paying enough attention though.)

Joker 2 will probably do well. Furiosa might, given the legendary status Fury Road has attained, though it'd have to outdo that one by a lot to beat Dune 2. 

22 hours ago, Rhom said:

I bet they shifted $50 billion in those popcorn buckets.

Think about it...

5 hours ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

If they delay the digital streaming, it’ll probably cross 700 Mn which was always the high end of predictions for me.

You can already pay to stream it on Apple TV and Amazon prime here, which seems quick. I always wonder about which people are not willing to wait a couple of months to watch something 'for free' within a subscription, and instead pay £20 to rent a digital movie, or 'buy' a movie that they don't actually own.

Not sure why studios like to hamper their own profits by going to digital this quickly…covid is over now and this movie is clearly successful 

26 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

You can already pay to stream it on Apple TV and Amazon prime here, which seems quick. I always wonder about which people are not willing to wait a couple of months to watch something 'for free' within a subscription, and instead pay £20 to rent a digital movie, or 'buy' a movie that they don't actually own.

On 3/27/2024 at 5:47 PM, Werthead said:

Yes.

Vastly so.

Kevin J. Anderson makes Benioff & Weiss read like fucking Proust.

I think 'the vastly so' is open for debate. Although I have to say I only read half of their Butlerian Jihad thing and,the prelude to Dune thing they did ... so I don't know how worse the other stuff was.

Denis Villeneuve Answers All Your Questions About ‘Dune: Part Two’
He explains why Lady Jessica’s face is so heavily tattooed, whether Paul considers himself the Messiah and what he thinks of those Javier Bardem memes.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/17/movies/denis-villeneuve-dune-part-two.html

...  After nearly two months in theaters, the film is the current champion of this year’s box office race, with a total take of more than $680 million. (It’s also available to rent or buy on some streaming platforms.) The film’s success is thanks in part to audiences that have returned over and over to get lost in the rocky warrens and spiritual reckonings of the planet Arrakis. One admirer reports he’s seen the movie 25 times to date. ....

.... Does Chalamet’s Paul Atreides actually believe he’s the Messiah? What’s the meaning of Jessica’s face tattoos? Villeneuve also got into the erotic lives of his desert dwellers and the extra narrative weight he threw behind Paul’s Fremen love interest, Chani, played by Zendaya. As Villeneuve said with a grin, “Chani is my secret weapon.”

Here are edited excerpts from our conversation. ....

On 3/24/2024 at 11:16 AM, Werthead said:

Pffft, easily doable.

I mean, Herbert Jnr. and Anderson straight-up admitted in an unguarded interview that they made up 99% of the shit in their drivel. The only thing that Herbert's one A4 page of notes had was "Maybe bring back Paul, Chani etc as gholas?"

I read Heretics and Chapter House over 30 years ago.  (yikes!)  Planning on rereading them soon.  Did KJA just make up the bit about AI, or was that actually what the Honored Matres were fleeing from in canon when they came back to the formerly imperial space?

That would make a whole lot of sense narratively, but I feel like reading the KJA books was like watching season 6 or 7 on HBO or watching the Two Towers movie.

8 hours ago, mcbigski said:

I read Heretics and Chapter House over 30 years ago.  (yikes!)  Planning on rereading them soon.  Did KJA just make up the bit about AI, or was that actually what the Honored Matres were fleeing from in canon when they came back to the formerly imperial space?

That would make a whole lot of sense narratively, but I feel like reading the KJA books was like watching season 6 or 7 on HBO or watching the Two Towers movie.

No, they made all that shit up.

Frank Herbert was probably building up to the reveal of a Tleilaxu empire in deep space that was the real "great enemy," based on some of the stuff in the books. A robot comeback was not really on the cards.