US politics - Yes country for old men

1 hour ago, kissdbyfire said:

That’s just how republicans celebrate Women’s Day, it’s one of their most enduring fantasies. It makes perfect sense when you think that this bloke is not a lone, solitary republican voter.

TBH, I am not sure how the talk show was able to make 12 minutes of content from those two mini-interviews.  Its kinda smug to talk on an on about brief interviews with a yellow dog Republican and an antediluvian misogynist as if they were somehow being targeted by Biden for votes.  Its not like they shared views that suggested they were compatible with the Democrat platform but were somehow being misled.  These were core Republican voters, not a confused fringe.

Edited by horangi

7 minutes ago, horangi said:

TBH, I am not sure how the talk show was able to make 12 minutes of content from those two mini-interviews.  Its kinda smug to talk on an on about brief interviews with a yellow dog Republican and an antediluvian misogynist as if they were somehow being targeted by Biden for votes.  Its not like they shared views that suggested they were compatible with the Democrat platform but were somehow being misled.  These were core Republican voters, not a confused fringe.

That’s just a cut of a much longer segment looking into these types of voters. There are lots of them around. Another woman they talked to said she’d never vote for Haley for instance b/c she’s not only a woman but “probably menopausal” and that’s dangerous. That’s the mentality of a portion of the electorate, it’s a fact. Even the woman who criticises Trump says she’ll vote for him b/c… reasons.

Biden on hot mic: ‘Come to Jesus meeting’ with Netanyahu on the way

https://thehill.com/policy/defense/4519288-biden-on-hot-mic-come-to-jesus-meeting-with-netanyahu-on-the-way/

President Biden told a Democratic lawmaker and members of his Cabinet after the State of the Union address that he told Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu that they will need to have a “come to Jesus meeting.”

Biden’s comments, captured on a hot mic as he spoke with Sen. Michael Bennet (D-Colo.) on the floor of the House chamber, came after Bennet congratulated the commander in chief on his speech and pressed him to keep pressure on Netanyahu about increasing humanitarian issues in Gaza.

Secretary of State Antony Blinken and Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg were standing with Biden and Bennet during the brief exchange.

“I told him, Bibi — and don’t repeat this — but you and I are going to have a ‘come to Jesus’ meeting,” Biden said.

An aide to Biden then appeared to inform the president that his microphone was still on.

“I’m on a hot mic here,” Biden replied. “Good. That’s good.”

1 minute ago, Corvinus85 said:

I just watched segments of Katie Britt's rebuttal to Biden's state of the union and I can only conclude that she was really auditioning for the next Red Alert game cutscenes. 

It was very creepy, reminded me of The Stepford Wives. 

3 hours ago, TheKitttenGuard said:

Biden on hot mic: ‘Come to Jesus meeting’ with [a Prime Minister] on the way

https://thehill.com/policy/defense/4519288-biden-on-hot-mic-come-to-jesus-meeting-with-...

I don't know how people can say Joe is losing it mentally when he can (apparently) ad lib responding to hecklers over the tax cut vs social security segment and then reflexively own the hot mic moment as a net positive. If I was conspiratorial I would say the hot mic was deliberate and Joe knew about it all along.

In some ways Biden getting four more years offers the USA a rare chance to go hard against... . Biden doesn't have to worry about his re-election chances so can afford to piss off ..., and he has 4 years to achieve a win that guarantees .... That at least on a foreign policy front would help set things up for a Democrat to succeed him in the white house, which has not happened in an age, but could happen in 2028 if the Republican party doesn't have a MAGA purge.

Of course all that depends on Biden managing a win this year.

Edited by The Anti-Targ

More info about Trump's bond for the E. Jean Carroll fine.

Former President Trump posted a nearly $92 million bond in a New York court on Friday to appeal the $83.3 million in damages a jury ordered him to pay to writer E. Jean Carroll for defamation by denying her sexual assault allegations.

Why it matters: It's another major financial blow for the GOP presidential frontrunner, who faces a separate $450 million fine in New York's civil fraud case over his business practices.......

Details: Trump's bond payment was underwritten by insurance company Chubb, an international insurance provider based in Switzerland.

Under the bond terms, Chubb will only secure the appeal of the $83.3 million judgment and not any future appeals.
Other terms of the bond, such as how much money or collateral Trump put down, were not disclosed......

Zoom out: In New York, defendants in civil cases are required to pay a bond worth at least 110% of the judgment amount in order delay paying the penalty as they appeal.

The bond is essentially a promise that the penalty will be paid if the defendant's appeal fails to alter the verdict or judgment.

Trump posts nearly $92M bond to appeal E. Jean Carroll defamation damages (axios.com)

What the actual fuck, b/c just WTAF wouldn’t be enough. When I think the republicans can’t get any worse… :uhoh:

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2024/03/north-carolina-primary-results-mark-robinson-governor.html

Abortion
“I don’t care if you’re 24 hours pregnant. I don’t care if you’re 24 weeks pregnant. I don’t care. If you kill that young’un, it is murder.” (Robinson has said he paid for an abortion in 1989 and maintains that that decision was “wrong.”)

Climate Science
“Pseudoscience, junk science that has not proven a single solitary thing.”

Jewish People
He voiced agreement with a pastor who claimed that the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse are the CIA, China, Islam, and the Rothschild family of “international bankers that rule every single … central bank.”

Also, regarding Black Panther: “It is absolutely AMAZING to me that people … can get so excited about a fictional ‘hero’ created by an agnostic Jew and put to film by satanic marxist. How can this trash, that was only created to pull the shekels out of your Schvartze pockets, invoke any pride?”

Women
“We are called to be led by men. God sent women out … when they had to do their thing, but when it was time to face down Goliath, [He] sent David. Not Davita, David.”

The #MeToo Movement
“They’re starting a new movement called ‘dressing in see thru, ultra-tight, breast bearing whore dresses to protest sexual harassment.’ ”

Islam
“Sad Fact: ‘Religious freedom’ in this country now means Muslims are free to do as they please and anyone who says anything about it is a bigot.”

LGBTQ+ People
“There is no reason anybody, anywhere in America should be telling any child about transgenderism, homosexuality or any of that filth. And yes, I called it filth. And if you don’t like it that I called it filth, come see me about it.” (Later, facing backlash: “We will not be intimidated. … The language I used, I am not ashamed of it.”)

“We have pushed homosexuality over the top. Mark my words PEDOPHILLA is next, which will be closely followed by the END of civilization as we know it.”

Transgender People
“[If] all of a sudden Saturday you feel like a woman and you want to go in the women’s bathroom in the hall, you will be arrested, or whatever we got to do to you.”

Nonbinary people, meanwhile, should use the restroom “outside with the dog.”

The Civil Rights Movement
2017 Facebook post: “That crap in the 1960s was the ‘communist rise movement.’ ”

(He also called Martin Luther King Jr. a “communist.” Trump, endorsing Robinson, had this to say: “I think you’re better than Martin Luther King. I think you are Martin Luther King times two.”

On 3/7/2024 at 3:02 AM, DanteGabriel said:

This lazy "both of them suck" dogshit thinking is a large part of the decline of American political culture.

No, it is constantly choosing the lesser evil that resulted in that. This defeatist mentality that "better things aren't possible" is what has actually resulted in better things not being possible. When the greater evil gets even worse with every single year and the lesser evil follows them into absurdity and insanity, voting for the latter pushes the country into the wrong direction, more and more.

Do you know what would prevent the decline of American political culture? Not voting for the increasingly terrible lesser evil, and instead, demanding better options. This is particularly true now, when the choice is either what's left of democracy or fascism: if that is every election from now on, and make no mistake that it will be, it means that fascism has already won. It's just a matter of time.

3 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

So… you want people to give up?  Really?

No; I want people to recognize that the "lesser evil" fully enabled and thereby gave us the fascism. Maybe it's time to stop giving them a pass and to start effecting change.

2 minutes ago, Many-Faced Votary said:

No; I want people to recognize that the "lesser evil" fully enabled and thereby gave us the fascism. Maybe it's time to stop giving them a pass and to start effecting change.

So… don’t vote for Biden in the 2024 Presidential Election… fully recognizing who is the direct beneficiary of such an action?

2 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

So… don’t vote for Biden in the 2024 Presidential Election… fully recognizing who is the direct beneficiary of such an action?

Maybe stop putting words in my mouth.

It is now too late this election cycle, but it didn't have to be, whether the mechanism was within or without the Democratic Party.

15 minutes ago, Many-Faced Votary said:

Maybe stop putting words in my mouth.

It is now too late this election cycle, but it didn't have to be, whether the mechanism was within or without the Democratic Party.

I’ve been saying that we need to reform the US Government for a very long time.  I simply do not understand how declaring “fascism has already won” is in any way helpful or is anything but defeatist whining?

Just now, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I’ve been saying that we need to reform the US Government for a very long time.  I simply do not understand how declaring “fascism has already won” is in any way helpful or is anything but defeatist whining?

It is a reality check, as it's important for us to understand the context. Fascism is not a threat to us; it is already here. The more powerful of the two political parties with any relevance in the United States is an authoritarian death cult operating in an oligarchy masquerading as a democracy.

The time for incremental reforms is past, especially when the vast majority of the reforms in recent decades have been for the worse, from Citizens United to the Voting Rights Act being dismantled across the country. There must be real, structural and fundamental, change.