Your most beloved (but not subscribed to) fan theory

CamiloRP

There's been a recent thread about most hated theories and in there I mentioned a theory I find incredibly charming despite not subscribing to it one bit: the Petyr Baelish is a greenseer theory.

The evidence for this theory is as follows:

Petyr is a small guy, with green eyes, and Brynden Rivers tells us:

"In a sense. Those you call the children of the forest have eyes as golden as the sun, but once in a great while one is born amongst them with eyes as red as blood, or green as the moss on a tree in the heart of the forest. By these signs do the gods mark those they have chosen to receive the gift. The chosen ones are not robust, and their quick years upon the earth are few, for every song must have its balance. But once inside the wood they linger long indeed. A thousand eyes, a hundred skins, wisdom deep as the roots of ancient trees. Greenseers."

From Bran III ADWD

Also, like Baelish, Jojen is a small guy with green eyes, and a greenseer.

Petyr also spent some time in a sort of comma, like Bran and Jojen did before unlocking their gift.

Finally, there's this scene:

The king heard him. "You stiff-necked fool," he muttered, "too proud to listen. Can you eat pride, Stark? Will honor shield your children?" Cracks ran down his face, fissures opening in the flesh, and he reached up and ripped the mask away. It was not Robert at all; it was Littlefinger, grinning, mocking him. When he opened his mouth to speak, his lies turned to pale grey moths and took wing.

From Eddard XV AGOT, which is remarcably simmilar to this scene:

When he laughed his face sloughed off and the priest saw that it was not Urri but Euron, the smiling eye hidden. He showed the world his blood eye now, dark and terrible. Clad head to heel in scale as dark as onyx, he sat upon a mound of blackened skulls as dwarfs capered round his feet and a forest burned behind him.

From The Forsaken TWOW, and we know in this scene Euron is sending visions to Aeron, was LF sensing visions to Ned?

Now, to clarify again, I don't buy into this theory, I think LF is tiny because George came up with a cool nickname he liked, and he spent a few days in a comma like state because it gave him cool characterization, his eyes are gray-green, rather than moss-green and the simmilarity between the scenes above is likely given by the fact that both scenes were written by the same guy and deal with simmilar circumpstances (the POV of a guilt ridden guy, imprisoned after failing to place the war-monger brother of the king rather than his psicopathic decendant in the throne, having fever dreams). But I still find this theory really charming.

Anyway, is there any theory you feel this way about?

Edited by CamiloRP

• CamiloRP changed the title to Your most beloved (but not subscribed to) fan theory

This one:

It's very likely Rhaenys survived her fall, it is stated that Meraxes crushed the tower and the curtain wall of Hellholt in her mortal agony, she didn't crush immediately on the ground.
(Aegon II survived the Battle of the Rook Rest and the battle against Moondancer, he was burned, crippled, severely injured, but he was alive and Corlys Velaryon used poison to get rid of him).
Meria and Ullers tortured Rhaenys , Deria and Nymor hired assassins to rescue her, the four consecutive Ullers died because of Nymor assassins, it is stated that only two assassins survived to receive the ransom:the assassins of Lady Toland and Lord Fowler.
(Some members of House Martell turned against Prince Morion during the First Dornish War:"Although Morion had hoped to take Jaehaerys unaware, the king on the Iron Throne had spies in Morion's own court, and friends among some of the Dornish lords, and was therefore warned far in advance of the plans made by the Dornish prince", probably the same happened before) .

So they rescued her and she was shipped to Dragonstone to receive the gift of mercy by Aegon himself, Rhaenys convinced Aegon to stop the devastation that almost annihilated the entire dornish population, the purpose of the Conquest was a united and strong Westeros to have the necessary  manpower to face the Others in future,to Rhaenys it was more convenient to have  an Indipendent and populated Dorne rather than a desert land with plague and famine.
Then I don't think the Queen was glad her siblings were destroying an entire civilization because of her fall at Hellholt,  she is described as a kinderhearted person, so she was not the kind of person that enjoyed sufferings of civilians.
She wrote the letter herself and she was smuggled to Dragonstone in secret to hide her mutilations from Orys and Visenya, it was the only way to avoid a further escalation.

The theory must explain the following points that I used as clues to elaborate my reconstruction of the facts:

1.Aegon had good relations with Deria, he and Aenys celebrated a feast for peace in Sunspear just after Rhaena birth.

2. Aegon clenched the letter so hard his hand is bleeding (the letter reveals Meria, who is dead, tortured his sister who was alive).

3.Aegon flies to Dragonstone for some reason. (Rhaenys shipped to Dragonstone, she was in a brutal state, however she is able to explain her journey in Dorne to Aegon).

4.Her body was never recovered. (she is euthanized by Aegon and her body is burned as tradition)

5.The ransom strategy was effective against the Ullers. It has no sense that an entire Tyrell army was no able to catch them and some people hired by the Iron Throne were able to murder 4 consecutive Lord of Hellholt in the desert. It was effective against the Ullers that were the lords that could have Rhaenys alive.

19 hours ago, CamiloRP said:

Petyr also spent some time in a sort of comma, like Bran and Jojen did before unlocking their gift.

There are three characters that GRRM frames in a window looking down (like an outsider) on the events taking place outside the window.  Jon, Bran, and Baelish.  So make with that what you want.

1 hour ago, Frey family reunion said:

There are three characters that GRRM frames in a window looking down (like an outsider) on the events taking place outside the window.  Jon, Bran, and Baelish.  So make with that what you want.

ha! nice addition

I have a soft spot for the idea that Jyana Reed, wife to Howland and mother to Meera and Jojen, is really Ashara Dayne in hiding.  Her death is so suspicious it practically screams "fake", nobody ever visits Greywater Watch, and the story Meera tells Bran mentions her quite a bit.

Still, I can't quite buy it.  I don't know why Ashara would feel the need to hide, the children don't match her description as I recall, and if she is anyone we have heard of, my money is on Septa Lemore.

I quite like the theory that Meera is Jon's twin sister and to be honest it falls in very nicely close to when Star Wars done their whole hidden twins (before it became a trope). I do not subscribe to this however as I don't really see a point in this even being a thing? There's just too much going on and too much claimants to the throne for it to even make sense. If Dany and (F)Aegon did not exist then I'd be more likely to believe it.

Another one on this is Tyrion Targaryen. A very common but frowned upon theory and although I don't fully subscribe to it, I really do appreciate the effort put into the theory and honestly a small part of me deep down does believe that it is a very slim possibility. Having Tyrion (the 3rd main character in my opinion) be the 3rd head of the dragon and kind of the secret Targ that's slipped under the radar because all the focus is on Jon Targ would be interesting.

I know this one is controversial and it's maybe split in the fandom, but I like the theory that Tyrion is a Targ. The reason I like it though, is not for what it does for the current story, but because it makes Tywin's backstory so much richer. If he knows, then his whole relationship with Aerys makes more sense and is more tragic. Particularly the move Aerys made in denying Jaime as his heir and leaving Tyrion in his place, like a changeling baby. 

I don't know if i buy it though, because of the repercussions for the current story, It's repetitive and I'm not sure what it adds. It gives Dany a third dragon rider and ... that's it? Gives her another trigger for betrayal? Does she need another?

Edited by Gertrude

1 hour ago, Gertrude said:

I know this one is controversial and it's maybe split in the fandom, but I like the theory that Tyrion is a Targ. The reason I like it though, is not for what it does for the current story, but because it makes Tywin's backstory so much richer. If he knows, then his whole relationship with Aerys makes more sense and is more tragic. Particularly the move Aerys made in denying Jaime as his heir and leaving Tyrion in his place, like a changeling baby. 

I don't know if i buy it though, because of the repercussions for the current story, It's repetitive and I'm not sure what it adds. It gives Dany a third dragon rider and ... that's it? Gives her another trigger for betrayal? Does she need another?

I get what you’re saying. For me though, and partially for the same reasons or at least one reason, I’d like for Jaime and Cersei to be Aerys’s. Because then Tywin’s golden boy and gorgeous daughter are not his, only the son he hates and despises is. I guess I favour this b/c I despise Tywin so much that any added blemish on his biography has me fist-pumping with glee! That said, I really like the changeling idea you presented.  

10 hours ago, KingStoneheart said:

Can I ask if this is a theory you like but don’t believe in? Because in my opinion, it’s very very likely that this is true

I think GRRM didnot have anything like this in mind when he published ASoS. But it is not hard to make this retcon and it might be useful in the future for Tyrion's arc.

A theory that I used to subscribe to and no longer do, but I still like is:

Septa Lemore is Ashara Dayne, and Young Griff is the son Ashara Dayne and Brandon Stark.  I now fully believe that Young Griff is a Blackfyre, and while that doesn't mean that Lemore couldn't be Ashara... the most important thing we know about Ashara's appearance is her purple eyes, and Tyrion did not note that.  Granted Tyrion was looking elsewhere other than her eyes... but I think even Tyrion wouldn't have failed to miss her eye color when Lemore was actually wearing clothes.

Tansy the prostitute was once intended to be Hoster Tully’s illegitimate daughter.

Had the five year gap been implemented, Pretty Meris would have been Brienne, after years of brutalisation.

Val is related to the Others.

Theres one theory I really like and yet don´t want to be true because it builds on another theory I don´t like.

Jon & Val the Wildling princess are twins. Like the idea very much but it would require R+L to be true. And as I mentioned too often already I won´t buy that one until I read it with my own eyes. (Then curse George for not coming up with something better)

For those not familiar, the short version is R+L had twins. Ned promised Lyanna to take care of them but as Val took too much after her father Ned couldn´t pass her off as his bastard. So one of the kingsguard present back then took her as his own, the man we now know as Mance Raider.

18 hours ago, Mithras said:

Oberyn poisoned Tywin. I hope Grrm retcons this into the story.

I literaly take this as canon! The entire dorne arc  and the viper going and clearly wanting revenge makes little sense without it. 

It ties in perfect with dorans entire niche of caring for innocents etc, he wants revenge but it has to be surgicaly precise not all out warfare

2 hours ago, PrettyLittlePsycho said:

For those not familiar, the short version is R+L had twins. Ned promised Lyanna to take care of them but as Val took too much after her father Ned couldn´t pass her off as his bastard. So one of the kingsguard present back then took her as his own, the man we now know as Mance Raider.

To be honest, the idea that Mance is a Kingsguard is quite cool. His constant reminder that he’s not a king (i.e hasn’t broken any of his vows or anything) is very easily hidden by the fact that wildlings are stubborn and don’t see kings really