US Politics: The Bully Culprit

DMC

9 minutes ago, Zorral said:

The announcement early this AM that Biden has 'paused' the shipment of thousands of bombs to Israel -- do you honestly believe would have been made without the student protests?

Yes, the protestors have done a better job guarding against legit anti-semites and other rabble rousers. They just want fairness. 

I think the weapons will be delivered in due time, though. Israel is insanely popular, especially among the over 40 crowd. Politicians cannot afford to lose major donors.

R.F.K. Jr. Says Doctors Found a Dead Worm in His Brain
The presidential candidate has faced previously undisclosed health issues, including a parasite that he said ate part of his brain.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/05/08/us/rfk-jr-brain-health-memory-loss.html

But you know let's seriously vote for this guy as POTUS because Biden is old.

35 minutes ago, Zorral said:

The presidential candidate has faced previously undisclosed health issues, including a parasite that he said ate part of his brain.

Hey. It was in the part of his brain that he didn’t use.

Posted (edited)

Protests 'work' mostly if the administration or power-that-be are somewhat amenable to reason. There's enough historical evidence for this, from the Indian independence struggle (re the British government), the civil rights movement and JFK/LBJ and hopefully more recently the Biden administration. On the flip side you have the BLM/Floyd protests and the civil rights movements where the Trump administration and the southern state governments were recalcitrant. In that case its more keeping the momentum going and having a show of support. Both are legitimate aims though.

Edited by IheartIheartTesla

Sit-ins - or occupying a space and refusing to leave until being forcibly removed - have always been a tactic of nonviolent civil disobedience.  It is absurd to describe such a tactic as violence.

Hell, even if it was “theft,” which it isn’t, theft is not classified as a violent crime.  Robbery is - which is theft accompanied by violent threats.

So last night the cops invaded the Fashion Institute of Technology to arrest and clear out the students.  It was the last encampment in Manhattan.  The admin had been cooperative -- the protesters were uniformly peaceful, leaving to attend their classes, etc.  But then, BOOM.

My suspicion is that Somebodies connected to Monday night's Met Costume Institute Gala was really and truly pissed off that fashion and design students marched and protested at the Gala, and leaned very hard on FIT's president.

https://gothamist.com/news/fit-protesters-surprised-by-nypds-crackdown-on-their-pro-palestinian-encampment

.... The FIT protests appeared to be peaceful. Students ate donated meals and said they regularly left the encampment to attend class before returning to the tents. Protesters also said they had no plans to pack up their tents and leave before the end of the academic year on May 22.

A sign reading "the people's popular university" at an encampment.

FIT student activists said people living near the school had donated tents and food.

Tammi David, a sophomore student organizer at the encampment, said the group’s academic interest was linked with their activism.

“Fashion and art … these two industries are inherently political and inherently influenced by global politics and everything happening in the world,” David said. “Some of the best art and some of the best fashion, they’re meant to be statements.” ...

For some unfathomable reason what follows this is all about George Washington University and the protests there, which university is hundreds of miles away from FIT.

2 hours ago, Zorral said:

Fiction once again anticipates reality:

Braindead (2016) Trailer

(seriously though, if you haven't seen this show, do watch it, it's hilarious)

24 minutes ago, DMC said:

“A worm ate my brain.”  “I shot a puppy.”  Campaigns in 2024 are weird.

I'll be damned if this doesn't merit its own thread in Games, "make campaign slogans for US politicians".

1 hour ago, Rippounet said:

So, how many worms have been eating Trump's brain?

The best worms. The most worms. Believe me. People are saying, nobody has more worms than me. People are saying. A man came up to me - very big, STRONG man, muscles like you wouldn't believe - he came up to me, crying, tears running down his face. Very strong man, crying like an absolute baby. He said, "Mr President, in all my years, I have never seen anyone that has more worms than you do."

Posted (edited)

The only reason I'm bothering with this, is because of who the perpetrator is, and the difference in the way the NYPD treated him, and how they treated a couple of the protesters, who certainly were not trying to kill anyone, which he was trying to do.

Cousin Of Extremist Rabbi Charged With Driving Car Into Pro-Palestinian Protesters
Reuven Kahane, the cousin of Meir Kahane, pleaded not guilty to second-degree assault following the incident in New York City.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/reuven-kahane-arrested-columbia-gaza-protest-assault_n_663bbd77e4b0c38baf0eacd4

Real estate developer Reuven Kahane, whose cousin founded a notorious group deemed a “violent extremist” organization by the FBI, was arrested in New York City on Tuesday after he allegedly drove his car into a group of pro-Palestinian protesters, injuring a 55-year-old woman.

Kahane, 57, was charged with second-degree assault, a New York City Police Department spokesperson confirmed to HuffPost. Police said the Upper East Side real estate developer was driving his car near the corner of Park Avenue and 72nd Street on Tuesday morning when he got into a dispute with a group of about 25 pro-Palestinian protesters who were marching nearby. As the protesters began to disperse, Kahane allegedly drove his car into the crowd, striking Maryellen Novak, who was taken to a hospital to be treated for minor injuries.According to a statement from Columbia University Apartheid Divest, or CUAD — the group that organized Tuesday’s demonstration — Kahane initially drove up to the protesters in his car and asked for a flyer. When one of the protesters handed him a flyer, Kahane grabbed the protester’s arm, the statement said. Kahane then “parked in front of the picketers until we started leaving, then circled the block to drive into our peaceful demonstration,” the statement continued. “One member of CUAD’s de-escalation team was struck and has since been hospitalized.”

CUAD added that an NYPD commanding officer on the scene, Neil Zuber, “immediately arrested and started screaming at one of the picketers who was next to the car. Kahane, on the other hand, received calm and friendly treatment. The person who was hit was arrested and handcuffed to the bed while in the hospital.” The NYPD did not respond to a request for comment on this allegation. ....

Of course he's pleading not guilty.

Nor did he need to post bail.

Edited by Zorral

2 minutes ago, JGP said:

Judge Cannon… [low whistle]

Yeah, judge Loose Cannon strikes again. Why doesn't Smith take this to the 11th circuit? Can he even or are there "rules" against it?

• Ran locked this topic