Jurassic World

Commodore

Yeah, that doesn't work out that well most of the time though. "Tamed" lions or wolves are dangerous fuckers and you can end up like Siegfried and Roy very quickly.

I think you're operating under the assumption that I'm talking about completely tamed. I'm not. I'm not saying these raptors are completely docile like domestic dogs. Just that they can be directed by and cooperate with humans.

Domestication has to start from somewhere, and believe it or not humans and wild animals did (and still do) start cooperating by happenstance. I don't know exactly what the process with wolves was, but with cats it was killing vermin in exchange for more food and safety, and even in the modern day there are stories of Orcas who cooperate with fishermen.

Then where exactly did it begin? 10 thousand years ago there where only wild wolves. For domesticated dogs to exist, there must first have been some degree of training with wild wolves.

With pre-selected wolves that were then not necessarily that reliable. (we have experience with this kind of thing)

Hell, one of the major theories is that wolves selectively bred themselves to feed off human garbage. Basically evolving towards a breed of wolf that was less skittish and violent and so capable of getting very close to human habitation without being a danger and so mostly left alone by humans.

The human race did not just bro-fist some wild wolves and go to town on the local antelope population.

Lol...

Then where exactly did it begin? 10 thousand years ago there where only wild wolves. For domesticated dogs to exist, there must first have been some degree of cooperation with wild wolves.

Early Canid Domestication: The Farm-Fox Experiment

With pre-selected wolves that were then not necessarily that reliable. (we have experience with this kind of thing)

Hell, one of the major theories is that wolves selectively bred themselves to feed off human garbage. Basically evolving towards a breed of wolf that was less skittish and violent and so capable of getting very close to human habitation without being a danger and so mostly left alone by humans.

"Not necessarily reliable" - exactly. I'm not claiming that these are fully trained raptors. I'm sure - if only for drama's sake - that it will be impressed upon us that they could kill Chris Pratt if he isn't careful. Why can these not be pre-selected raptors?

And as interesting as all this science talk is, it's kind of moot when discussing the film which doesn't show raptors as having feathers. At the end of the day, humans can train animals and that's probably about as deep as the film will delve into the matter. That doesn't make it bad. It's just unnecessary to give the audience a crash course on animal domestication. They're raptors, they're sort of trained, but they're still dangerous.

On the phone now. There was a Russian experiment for breeding and domesticating foxes. They took the most submissive ones and bred. Got totally trainable ones by the 3rd to 5th generation. Didn't take very long.

Ah, here we go: the domesticated silver fox. By the 6th generation you had animals that were the domesticated elite - those that would not only permit human contact but actively seek human contact and whine to get it.

Doesn't really matter where dogs came from, Dinosaurs are not mammals and expecting them to react the same is stupid.

Show me a domesticated hunting pack bird and we might have something to go off of.

Not that this would be much less absurd, but there really isn't any reason to genetically engineer domesticatable raptors. All they'd have to do is suggest that newly hatched raptors have the capacity to imprint on humans, much like wild geese and ducks are known to.

Maybe the genetically engineered T-Rex will have full-sized arms?

Opposable thumbs or gtfo

Life finds a way.

Actually I'm pretty sure Malcolm survived the first movie.

He didn't in the book. That irritated the hell out of me. There was Crichton wiring up a sequel the moment the movie made bonkers money, but hey, the next book had to have Malcolm! Cheapened the whole thing. If that is even possible.

First, JP is my favourite movie ever: I will NEVER forget the experience that it was watching it in a theatre, one of my most treasured moments of my childhood. Yet, I'm watching this with open mind and won't let my nostalgia to get in the middle. Because I like dinosaurs. And Jurassic Park.

(cue Jurassic Park theme song).

About the discussion of the tamed velociraptors (oh, please... that scene was awesooooome... despite me being actually terrified of v-raptors and having an evacuation plan in my house in case of v-raptors entering),

it has been already clarified that they aren't, according to the director(/writer?) via his twitter.

. But who knows. I'm actually excited for that specific scene. Maybe it helps me to overcome my fear (I'm kidding... I'm never stopping fearing those fellows). Velociraptors in this universe are highly intelligent and work with hierarchies. Also, in JPIII (yeah, I liked that movie) they didn't jump and eat them after they recovered the eggs. Once they got them, they left. Personally, I think it's more likely that Pratt guy (seriously, who is he?) to be some sort of alpha-male for them, the leader of the pack or something, and they "respect" him.

And then, they eat him.

So people want Pratt to be Samuel L. Jackson, but from the shark movie, not the first Jurassic Park...?

:lol:

Oh, that movie... that scene (you know which) actually made me jump from my seat.

So, longer thoughts-

I really like the idea of showing Jurassic Park in its completed, mildly futuristic form. There's no way that "Dino Cloning" was just going to be left alone in that setting, and a big part of why the original park failed in the first movie was from stuff that would be solvable 10-15 years later in the setting (i.e. inexperience with new animals, limitations due to the development cost of the technology, mismanagement, etc). I thought the scenes with the transparent ball-mobile among the sauropods and shark-eating scene with the cloned Liopleurodon were very cool (although not so cool that they're eating a threatened shark species).

Unfortunately, that makes it all the more annoying that they appear to be rehashing the "tech and park gone wrong" plot from the first movie. I can totally see them experimenting with new dinosaurs once the charm of "holy crap dinosaurs!" has worn off a bit for park attendees, but from there is looks annoyingly repetitive aside from the "Starlord and the raptors" bit at the end. And it's hard to get worked up about the "OMG creating smart dinosaurs" when they already did that with the velociraptors, who in that setting communicate with one another and appear quite smart.

Oh, that movie... that scene (you know which) actually made me jump from my seat.

Holy shit, that scene.

(although not so cool that they're eating a threatened shark species).

Cloned. They also clarified that (here, page 6).

"I thought it would be cool if we had this massive animal and the park used one of our most fearsome modern predators as food. There could be a whole other facility where they used shark DNA to mass-produce them to feed the bigger beast. Steven gave me this look like, 'You know I get it, right?' And I sunk a little lower in my chair. And then he said, 'Let's do it'."

I guess they simply casually explain it because few people have been bitching about that (not you, I mean, the inquire is ok, I also wondered the same, but the whole "argh, I won't watch because sharks being eaten...". Yeah, the SHARKS are the one in danger here).

I thought the trailer was kind of disappointing. Nothing in it was overtly terrible, but it didn't do much for me either. And I'm a massive, massive fan of the first movie and to a lesser extent the second. I can enjoy the third movie simply because I really like dinosaurs, even though the plot is dumb. Jurassic Park was the first movie I ever saw in theaters (I was like, three? four?) so it made a pretty huge impact and is certainly among my favorite movies ever.

At this point, I'm neutral. As someone mentioned above, I do like the idea of the Park having been up and running for years. And, surprisingly, I don't hate the idea of the hybrid dinosaur (though I'm far from convinced that it will be pulled off in a cool way, non-moronic fashion).

I'm not sure about the acting from what little we saw. I really, really like Chris Pratt, but there's just something kind of goofy about his delivery of those lines. I feel like it might just be because I'm so used to his character from Parks & Recreation (an oafish man-child). I kind of felt the same way in parts GotG, but that role was not particularly serious, and a good deal of his lines were intended to be funny. In this case, I actually kind of laughed when he said the line about the "whatever kind of dinosaur they cooked up in there". I just..have a hard time taking him seriously. Again though, I can't tell if it's really his acting, the writing, or just myself projecting.

Archived